DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

OK, since there are more and more podcasts popping up and I'm not sure we want to throw out threads for every single one of them:

- I've liked the two Ross Reports so far, you can tell JR has lot of media experience, it will be interesting to see where they go with it.

- I've listened to a few of the the Wrestling Compadres Slamcasts on the Nerdist.  They're OK, they do a bunch of soundboard stuff so it comes off as being a bit Morning Zoo-ish.  They have had Booker T and Nigel McGuinness as regular contributors.  Last one I listened to had Darren Young and Xavier Wood interviews. Xavier Woods part was pretty fun,

- Rene Young's History of Wrestlemania interviews have been pretty good so far, last guests are Cody and Goldust with a funny bit with them calling Dusty for his opinion of who would win between them if they faced each other.

I enjoy the hell out of Cornette's podcast. I hope they keep Renee doing a podcast after 'Mania season. She's a really engaging interviewer.

It's amazing what can happen when they hire someone with actual broadcast experience

• Like 1

Listened to one of the Nerdist shows and morning zoo crew is a good description.  Hosts were just way too sycophantic for me.

Tried one of Cornette's and it just seemed like a long rant about the dog from Family Guy and Republicans.

I'm not sure I've really got the time for any podcasts that aren't going to tell me where I can go to hook up with recent divorcees in their sexual prime.

• Like 1

My favorites are still the whole LAW family of podcasts. Everything except the LAW and NXT. Jason Agnew is the most annoying man in radio. Review-a-Wai, Review-a-Raw are requires listening.

Really?  Worse than Todd Martin?

...Jason Agnew is the second most annoying man in radio...

• Like 1

Listened to one of the Nerdist shows and morning zoo crew is a good description.  Hosts were just way too sycophantic for me.

Tried one of Cornette's and it just seemed like a long rant about the dog from Family Guy and Republicans.

I'm not sure I've really got the time for any podcasts that aren't going to tell me where I can go to hook up with recent divorcees in their sexual prime.

I only listen to the interview ones, even then you have to skip through 15 minutes of nonsense first. The Don Callis interview recently was really interesting I thought.

I enjoy the hell out of Cornette's podcast. I hope they keep Renee doing a podcast after 'Mania season. She's a really engaging interviewer.

It's amazing what can happen when they hire someone with actual broadcast experience

It's crazy that WWE doesn't have an official regular podcast. Renee Young should totally do it.

As someone who's getting back into wrestling after a 10+ year hiatus, what podcasts would the forum recommend? I'm mainly looking for podcasts that discuss the actual wrestling, not really interested in the rumor mill stuff.

Austin has had a lot of good interviews on his show. I would start there.

• Like 1

I only listen to the interview ones, even then you have to skip through 15 minutes of nonsense first. The Don Callis interview recently was really interesting I thought.

I really liked the Callis interview too. Not someone you will see pop up often on these podcasts, but their talk was pretty good.

Cornette's podcast is interesting because you can listen to him a 2X speed and it sounds just about the same. Quite the fast talker. I liked his review of Impact.

Konnan had on Disco Inferno for a pretty fun chat. One thing about Monday Night War guys - they're certainly acolytes of the quarter-hour ratings. Not that ratings weren't higher but it wasn't exactly a corollary of star power. I mean, Stooges matches against the Mean Street Posse scored insanely high quarter hours but no one is confused as to who was really drawing money.

• Like 1

I like listening to JR interviews on his podcast but there is something weird about the opening part of the show.  While I agree with a lot of what he saying, it sounds like he is reading his thoughts.  When you listen to Jericho or Austin or Cornette it feels like they are kind of naturally talking

I take it that he makes detailed notes before he starts and reads off 'em. Considering his background, I'm not surprised. Austin and Cornette, because of the nature of what they did, are probably quicker at improvising.