DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

6 hours ago, RIShane said:

I see STWW is a slightly controversial topic here, but as someone who only recently got into the archives and quite enjoyed the Undertaker 1995-1997 (which gives a great insight into the time just through retelling some of the crazy ideas they didn't run with) and Paul Heyman in WWE episodes, which episodes have the most unique or interesting information to them?

Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the two TNA episodes, the Brawl for All episode, Russo in the WWF and King of the Ring 1998.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the two TNA episodes, the Brawl for All episode, Russo in the WWF and King of the Ring 1998.

Thanks. Having caught up on it, I can also vouch for the Royal Rumble 97 episode, which takes a while to get to the PPV, but also gives some very interesting insight into what booking a Royal Rumble is like and how they're constructed.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to What Happened When this morning. Right at the start of the episode Conrad starts reading shit from the Sleaze Thread.

This is now the 2nd or 3rd time he's referenced something from here and now I'm racking my brain trying to think of who he could possibly be on here.

I decided to check out Robbie E's podcast , I started with the Marty Jennetty episode and I really enjoyed him telling his side of alot 9f stories. I know he's had his demons but alot of things have happened out of bad luck. I hope he writes a book because he seems to be very honest and has a good recollection of things. He's a very smart guy and I think other people like Shawn and even WWE created a narrative of Marty being a screw up which I dont think is true. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Did Dr. D say what he's up to these days? In the Stampede book he told the author he was on a secret mission for the military or somesuch (hahaha)

He's got a book out, working on the second, and is (mostly) retired as a bounty hunter. Talked quite a bit about the government stuff, but didn't really give away anything juicy, just kinda spoke in generalities.

I hope Lance comes back to Killing the Town, but I've been enjoying the solo Cyrus shows/interviews the last few weeks. Much prefer it to having Lazenby.

Did Raven ever go back to doing the episodes where he chronologically goes through his wrestling career? I loved those shows, but stopped listening when it went back to mostly being banter between him and the co host.

17 hours ago, bazzil said:

I hope Lance comes back to Killing the Town, but I've been enjoying the solo Cyrus shows/interviews the last few weeks.

Lance isn’t coming back. His internet is too shitty to keep doing that show. So, he’s returned to F4W, which I’m quite happy about. 

On 8/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, Craig H said:

Chat me up, @EVA

FTFY.

On this week's Something to Wrestle, Bruce insisted that everyone had the option to sit out the post-9/11 SmackDown. Conrad had a dirt sheet quote citing three wrestlers saying that they'd not been made aware of that option. JR's blog at the time also asserted that the show was voluntary and talent were made aware of their right to not participate.

Anyone hear anything else about this over the years? I know we like to shit on Bruce for being the company man, but I'm looking for more concrete examples of people talking about this on the record. 

I don't know about the 9/11 show but I know that RVD got heat for not wanting to do Tribute for the Troops one year. They always stressed that it was completely voluntary so RVD was like, "ya know, I'd rather stay at home with my wife than go to a war zone and get shot at." He said that Vince kept pressuring him to do it and that he thought it hampered his career going forward a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t recommend Ron Fuller’s Studcast enough. He is such a great storyteller. His cadence, delivery, etc. It really reminds me of listening to my late grandfather tell stories about the old days.  The difference is my grandpa would tell stories about farming, and Ron talks about wrestling.

I knew nothing of Continental or Southeastern except the Top 10 lists in the old Apter mags. You really get to know these characters based on the way Ron tells stories. 

If you want to check out just a few episodes, give the Bahamas episodes a listen. There are three of them. They are fantastic.