DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

If y'all really want to listen to a podcast that is just "________ agrees with everything Dave Meltzer has ever said," there are tons of them out there for you. Dave has shit all over both Prichard and Bischoff for their entire careers, I don't know why it's surprising that they take issue with things he has written.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If y'all really want to listen to a podcast that is just "________ agrees with everything Dave Meltzer has ever said," there are tons of them out there for you. Dave has shit all over both Prichard and Bischoff for their entire careers, I don't know why it's surprising that they take issue with things he has written.

I don't want that. I just get tired of them screaming and hollering about it all the time. If anything, they should be screaming and hollering about all of the people who fed Dave the info. Dave is just going to report what people told him. Why not take issue with the sources instead of shooting the messenger?

22 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I don't want that. I just get tired of them screaming and hollering about it all the time. If anything, they should be screaming and hollering about all of the people who fed Dave the info. Dave is just going to report what people told him. Why not take issue with the sources instead of shooting the messenger?

If he's reporting what they consider to be misinformation, he doesn't really get to duck responsibility for it, especially when it has formed a narrative among hardcore wrestling fans.

I think the format of the show just kind of lends itself to having the same conversation over and over. If Conrad was doing something other than reading directly from the Observer every single show, it might not be such an issue.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

If he's reporting what they consider to be misinformation, he doesn't really get to duck responsibility for it, especially when it has formed a narrative among hardcore wrestling fans.

I think the format of the show just kind of lends itself to having the same conversation over and over. If Conrad was doing something other than reading directly from the Observer every single show, it might not be such an issue.

Hey now, that's disingenuous. Sometimes he reads directly from the Torch.

I’ve tried out most of the big wrestler hosted podcasts over the past few years, the couple I’ve stuck with are Chris Jericho (with wrestlers and rock guests) for his interview style, and surprisingly Sean Waltman. He can trip over himself sometimes, and his co-hosts in that ‘zoo’ setup can come across a bit sycophantic but generally he has an interesting take on the news and gets a wide variety of guests with a different slant of questioning. He just had Juice Robinson on this week which was a fun listen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 5:07 AM, The Green Meanie said:

A (good) journalist's job is to verify information fed to them before printing it.

And to make sure what they are putting out to the public isn't riddled with spelling errors and run on sentences. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I know Bruce isn't popular around here. But if he's going to give his side of the story on Muhammad Hassan, I can think of worse ways to occupy my brain while I do housework. 

I love listening to Bruce. He's right up there with Corny as far as storytellers go.

Currently the only wrestling pod I'm listening to week to week is Why it Ended with Robbie E.  I love that most of the episodes are a tight hour (I finally have thrown in the towel on the marathon Conradcasts for the time being) and the guests have mostly delivered in different ways.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Listened to the Beefcake episode of STWW this morning.

The idea that Shawn was going to drop the IC title to Beefcake if Beefcake and Hogan stuck around amuses me greatly.

It had been said that Brutus was going to be an IC champ as far back as Honky. Shawn doing it is....dubious at best.

12 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

It had been said that Brutus was going to be an IC champ as far back as Honky. Shawn doing it is....dubious at best.

For real. Even as a kid I figured that if Brutus couldn't beat Valentine then he was never going to win the title. Thinking that he would beat HBK is laughable. 

I think that episode is where Conrad finally took Bruce to task for the bullshit "he didn't need the title" stuff.

Anyway, I decided to do a watch-along while Tony and Conrad reviewed Heat Wave 98. I had to stop watching during the Awesome/Tanaka match. I just can't watch this shit anymore knowing what I know now. It's too sad and too brutal. I do love how open minded Tony is to this stuff. He really likes the ECW stuff.

Been trying to catch up to some shows I’ve missed in the past week or so. Man, what happened to Austin’s show? It used to be really good. 

Anyway, since it seems to be the dark horse, I’ll say that Sean Mooney’s podcast continues to be great. I listened to the one he just did with Raven, and it was really good. 

The good thing is there are so many good wrestling pods right now, a lot of the older shows (Austin, Colt,...) can be skipped. E&C is good most weeks, even if you don’t like the guest. YMMV, but Cornette doing a deep dive on joining OVW was good. Bowden’s show on Brian Christopher was very strong. 

I see STWW is a slightly controversial topic here, but as someone who only recently got into the archives and quite enjoyed the Undertaker 1995-1997 (which gives a great insight into the time just through retelling some of the crazy ideas they didn't run with) and Paul Heyman in WWE episodes, which episodes have the most unique or interesting information to them?