DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

On 4/5/2018 at 10:19 AM, JonnyLaw said:

Cena on ID10T (formerly Nerdist) is a pretty good listen.

Joe Manganiello goes into wrestling a bit as well. Turns out he had a pitch about doing a show about Mid-South Wrestling before GLOW came out. 

14 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Conrad making rape jokes on the Unforgiven 98 podcast was super gross. Fat piece of shit.

You might want to re-listen. He was throwing it in Bruce's face for how they have double standards and for all of the Katie Vick rape stuff.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

You might want to re-listen. He was throwing it in Bruce's face for how they have double standards and for all of the Katie Vick rape stuff.

Agree that was the context. Sarcastically pitching a "loser gets raped" match is a pretty crass way of making your point though 

Don't know if it was mentioned before, but John Cena was on Chris Hardwick's ID10T podcast a few weeks ago. It was interesting to hear John talk "inside Baseball/Wrestling", drop the F-bomb a few times, and then talk about how much he loves Nikki and wants to get married and have kids with her (this was taped a little before Mania and pre-breakup)

Browsing the past couple of pages, there doesn't seem to too much attention on Sam Robert's Wrestling Podcast (I can generally guess how the board may feel), but he and Peter Rosenberg talked GRR. The most fascinating part was Robert's breakdown of Vince's relationships with Reigns and Strowman, but in like BF/GF relationship terms. Vince is in a committed relationship with Reigns...but then there's this new person who's come along and grabbed the attention of Vince, and Vince's heart. And while he's still in this committed relationship, his eye is on someone else and he's in that "checked out" phase of relationships and Vince has really fallen in love with Strowman, but he hasn't broken up with Roman yet. 

Like Roman Reigns was this new Hulk Hogan for Vince to play with, but then Strowman came along and he's the new Hogan and Roman Reigns has become the Randy Savage to Strowman's Hogan. I'm butchering it, but I liked his assessment. 

• Haha 2

Yeah, it was good. Conrad was more serious and straightforward, more resigned. He did his homework. Bischoff completely shot down a few things that were taken as conventional wisdom for years and years. you don't have to believe him but you can at least doubt them now. There were times where he was combative but also times where he'd admit something. 

(EDIT: I do think a lot of things are covered in Bischoff's book, though usually not in as much length, and it's easy to miss. Like, for instance, I hadn't realized it was the Turner Brass that kiboshed the February 99 NBC special that would have happened lockout or no, but that was in his book apparently).

Eric citing "heat" and "how much heat" the fingerpoke of doom got as reason for why it worked is so fucking dumb. It's even worse when he says all of us don't understand how the business works as much as he does because we're all just smarks. Like, hey motherfucker, just having heat is pointless if it goes nowhere and if you don't make money off of it. Fucking X-Pac had heat for years, didn't mean much. So how smart is Eric when he doesn't even understand what heat is?

These guys will never, ever admit how they killed the business.

On 4/30/2018 at 3:02 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Agree that was the context. Sarcastically pitching a "loser gets raped" match is a pretty crass way of making your point though 

Crass? The guy who every other podcast casually asks Bruce "How roll tide was Stacy/Trish/otherDiva here?" I'm shocked! 

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, it was good. Conrad was more serious and straightforward, more resigned. He did his homework. Bischoff completely shot down a few things that were taken as conventional wisdom for years and years. you don't have to believe him but you can at least doubt them now. There were times where he was combative but also times where he'd admit something. 

(EDIT: I do think a lot of things are covered in Bischoff's book, though usually not in as much length, and it's easy to miss. Like, for instance, I hadn't realized it was the Turner Brass that kiboshed the February 99 NBC special that would have happened lockout or no, but that was in his book apparently).

And what a dumbass as ridiculous move that was.

This would have been a huge shot of adrenaline to WCW even at that point.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Eric citing "heat" and "how much heat" the fingerpoke of doom got as reason for why it worked is so fucking dumb. It's even worse when he says all of us don't understand how the business works as much as he does because we're all just smarks. Like, hey motherfucker, just having heat is pointless if it goes nowhere and if you don't make money off of it. Fucking X-Pac had heat for years, didn't mean much. So how smart is Eric when he doesn't even understand what heat is?

These guys will never, ever admit how they killed the business.

I love the fact that you used X-Pac who had go away heat, which Bischoff correctly noted that this angle had the opposite of.

I do agree that heat or not, it still went nowhere.

Lance Storm is apparently on an "extended sabbatical" from KtT (which I assume is Storm Wrestling Academy-related), so for the immediate future we're getting Cyrus and Lazenby. Haven't listened to all of the most recent episode yet, but hopefully the quality won't drop off.

Just now, Gonzo said:

Lance Storm is apparently on an "extended sabbatical" from KtT (which I assume is Storm Wrestling Academy-related), so for the immediate future we're getting Cyrus and Lazenby. Haven't listened to all of the most recent episode yet, but hopefully the quality won't drop off.

And this is after 3 weeks of best of shows. I figured it was just because Lance was on vacation. 

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Lazenby does nothing for me.

Lance Storm was why i've followed KtT for the last year plus. Cyrus has good stories, but i couldn't care less about the NJPW interviews he does. i think i will also take a sabbatical until Storm returns.

also, when i saw the preview said "the new Killing the Town...with Lazenby!" i can't be the only one that assumed it was Lance + Paul, can i? definitely figured Cyrus was the one too busy to keep up the podcast life.

19 hours ago, twiztor said:

Lance Storm was why i've followed KtT for the last year plus. Cyrus has good stories, but i couldn't care less about the NJPW interviews he does. i think i will also take a sabbatical until Storm returns.

also, when i saw the preview said "the new Killing the Town...with Lazenby!" i can't be the only one that assumed it was Lance + Paul, can i? definitely figured Cyrus was the one too busy to keep up the podcast life.

No, that was the assumption I immediately made, too. I just figured that Cyrus has a ton of stuff going on and that he was leaving.

But yeah. . .Storm has turned into a hell of a fun guy to listen to, and the back-and-forth with him and Cyrus is great. I hope his "sabbatical" isn't a lengthy one.