DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

It was a fun listen if just to learn how Hawkins and Ryder got their name. I laughed my ass off finding out Zack Ryder's name came from a combination of Zack Morris and Rider Strong from Boy Meets World.

By the way, the Starrcade '99 show of What Happened When was good. Tony and Conrad cracked me up more than a few times. It's great when Tony just starts calling the match like a lunatic, completely destroying it.

Back to Bruce and Conrad, as time has gone on, Conrad has had to change his questions because Bruce just winds up being like, "well you weren't there" or "fuck Dave Meltzer" or "fuck Wade Keller" or "I don't know" or "it didn't happen like that." It was a long time ago, but Conrad called Bruce out on all of his bullshitting and pointed out how Bruce's timeline is full of shit. Bruce responds with that his timeline is the one true source because he documented everything in his book/journal and he gave that to Conrad. Conrad then tells Bruce that he referred to the journal and Bruce didn't write shit about the subject or he did and the date was wildly different. I think it had to do with booking Hogan. Anyway, Bruce was like well I don't know and that's not how I remember it.

So Bruce goes from saying that his journal is the one true source of knowledge and when that was wrong then you have to go off of Bruce's memory and it's well documented that Bruce is about the worst source of knowledge because he obfuscates the truth, blatantly lies, issues denials that are bullshit (like the Steiners stuff), and you're just listening to horseshit.

It doesn't matter how good the questions are that Conrad asks, Bruce is just about the worst co-host or narrator you could have. He's way too full of shit, he's clearly still protecting himself and others probably in hopes that he'll be hired back, and his memory is garbage because he clearly just makes shit up to fill in the gaps. Bruce is also a dick. He can repeat that "well you weren't there and I was so how would you know?" bullshit until he's blue in the face and what can Conrad really say to that? Nothing because he wasn't there, but there's also no sense in challenging Bruce. It's a lose/lose situation. Also notice how many times Conrad asks who booked this shit or who produced some awful segment and its RARELY Bruce. It's always Vince Russo, or Brian Gewirtz, or Pat Patterson, or someone else and Bruce wasn't there. Well ok them motherfucker, were you there or not because when you're challenged you tell the person that they weren't there and he was, but when asked about so much shit, Bruce wasn't there and it was someone else.

And yes, there's times when Bruce may not be producing the segment and he's still on location or he's backstage, but there's plenty of other times where he clearly isn't around and claims to be the source of truth for this shit anyway. This is why I like What Happened When more. Tony was there commentating for everything. He has knowledge of booking decisions and the fun doesn't come from dishing dirt on what happened backstage, the fun comes from being in disbelief at the shit that went on in the ring or what went on in a video package. Tony isn't protecting himself and can let loose. Bruce on the other hand defends so much shit and when he does criticize something it's in the softest way possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I never heard an episode of Pritchard's show, but Craig's post ensured I never bother to check it out.  I listen to enough as it is and I don't feel a need to waste my time hearing a guy that bullshits on the level Bruce does.  Even if there's good stuff about it it sounds like the cons outweigh the pros.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I never heard an episode of Pritchard's show, but Craig's post ensured I never bother to check it out.  I listen to enough as it is and I don't feel a need to waste my time hearing a guy that bullshits on the level Bruce does.  Even if there's good stuff about it it sounds like the cons outweigh the pros.

He's (Craig) not wrong, but I think the ratio of the situation he's describing compared to actual, useful and entertaining conversation is not as bad as it sounds. It should be noted I'm not a fan of Conrad and legit enjoy listening to Bruce talk, so my view might be biased.

• Like 1

Speaking of full of shit, Disco Inferno wants Konnan to get Meltzer on Keepin it 100 to explain why DI has never made the WON HOF ballot. I assume he's kidding around, but if he is serious, holy fuck, that's delusions of grandeur beyond my comprehension.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 12/16/2017 at 9:47 PM, PetrolCB said:

To be fair, Conrad even said it sucks and to skip it. At least he knows when an episode is shit. He’s done it before. Austin episode from Tony’s show for example. There have been others he’s said to skip too. 

I'm torn on how to read this. I feel like it's poor quality control to release something you know sucks. Sure, maybe you have the poll where the fans picked the topic, but why put that in the poll unless you're sure the content is going to be good?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
On 12/19/2017 at 4:52 PM, MORELOCK said:

A lot of Conrad's "hard-hitting" questions are ones that Bruce is correct to shoot down - Pretty sure he asked about the Savage-Stephanie rumors at some point.

I haven't listened to Something to Wrestle in a while, but you'd think after the 50th time Conrad asked about talent pay and Bruce refused to talk about it, he would've gotten the hint. At times it feels like Conrad's main source of info is the sleaze thread.

Christian on the most recent E&C pod straight up said Bruce got a story about him wrong or at the very least mixed it up with another story from years later. Even if you do listen to Something to Wrestle for backstage info, you really have to take it with a healthy dose of salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, cool and also kind of explains where Conrad came from and how he got so tight with so many people so quick. I think the assumption was he was a money mark. Glad to see that it's a little more legit than that. 

Speaking of, Rockers episode of STW is pretty great. 

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Lance had Cornette on this week and they missed a couple beeps due to how much Jim swears.

Ah ok. Well hopefully they never try to redo that joke again. It was super annoying.

Listening to Bruce's new podcast on Royal Rumble 98. He's insufferable trying to defend the racial stuff HBK was doing at the time (eating bananas while making fun of the NOD, making monkey noises and gestures at a black fan, etc).