DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

On 8/8/2017 at 10:12 PM, Michael Sweetser said:

I said this on Twitter, but the Storm and Cyrus podcast is the one that I listen to where I feel like I actually learn something new about the business itself with every episode.  I've especially enjoyed their analysis of the G1 Climax so far.

I've always been a big fan of Don Callis (hell, my Elite character was more him than Paul E) and found his insights on the business entertaining.  Plus, as someone that's hung around cocky Canadians more times than not, I appreciate his constant putting himself over. :)

I've been using the word "tremendous" a lot more since I've started listening to Storm and Cyrus' podcast. Not that I didn't use it a lot before but it's like a faucet I can't turn off now.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:27 AM, odessasteps said:

Jim explains the Impact deal

For those of you who complain about guys breaking character on interviews and "destroying the illusion": here you go. The entire interview was completely in character storyline.

19 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I've been using the word "tremendous" a lot more since I've started listening to Storm and Cyrus' podcast. Not that I didn't use it a lot before but it's like a faucet I can't turn off now.

I got hooked on "tremendous" listening to him on ECW commentary, and it's been stuck with me ever since, like verbal gonorrhea.

I know Sam Roberts isn't the most respected podcast out there but his bonus ep this week had a great Mark Henry interview (I especially liked when he talked about Neville) and someone gives possibly one of the worst takes of all time later on. Good fun.

Catching up on Keep it 2000 on the LAW network. They just got to the Russo/Bischoff era of Nitro. Everyone who thinks WWE is bad TV should start listening. 

I mean, I would say put on 2000 Nitros on the Network but that's a step too far. I think I tried to watch a WCW PPV from that year a while back and made it about 15 minutes in before bailing. Unwatchable. 

Not sure if it belongs here, but as much as I like Something to Wrestle, Bruce gets on my nerves and it takes me out of it.

On the other hand, the chemistry that Conrad has with Tony Schiavone is outstanding. Their newest one about Wargames 2000 had me laughing so hard. There's a moment past the midway point where Tony tells Conrad he can go back to sucking Bruce's dick and Conrad fires back and everyone dies laughing. Tony I guess started choking on whatever he was drinking and while that happened they played the music from Curb Your Enthusiasm. The whole thing was awesome.

• Like 2

That was a good episode. I'm sort of put-off from the elevator music interludes, where they've edited things out, I hope (but know it will) it doesn't become a "thing". 

Tony actually choked on an ice cube, which you can hear him gasping for air. Which felt unsettling. 

I love the new commentaries on the shows more than the Q&A aspect. I like syncing up the shows. It's like an OSW-type thing, but with the guy who was there. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Fucking hell. 4!? Not that I'm complaining, as it's about Savage. But, Jesus. 

I'm just trying to imagine how many uncomfortable arguments they can have in four hours.

Turns out to be a pretty good show. Took me two listens, as I fell asleep listening to it. Not bad. Yeah, it's 4 hours, but I think it came off real good. 

If you think arguments were gonna be bad (none on this), imagine if the Jeff Jarrett topic wins. 2 hours of Bruce singing "With My Baby Tonight" and "...well, you know", more than usual. 

Bruce's stories are best viewed with a healthy dose of skepticism but the story about McMahon wanting Sherri to slap Liz and the rigmarole with Savage flipping out on Vince is wonderful. Bruce can certainly tell a story. 

Gotta say, going to be interesting hearing Schiavone call the MLW One-Shot show. Who wants to bet that he'll be better than JR was on the US  NJPW and MYC broadcasts? 

Someone used a Keith Jackson analogy with Jim Ross in the Mae Young folder and it's perfect. Jim Ross is in my mind arguably the best announcer of all time and inarguably in the top three of all time with Gordon Solie and Lance Russell, but his best days are behind him.

I like both of the podcasts that Conrad does for different reasons. Bruce's is more formal and Tony's is looser, but both are interesting to listen to.

• Like 1

Wow. That Double J episode may have been the best one. There were so many times I said to myself, "this is unbelievable, how many chances will this asshole get?"

I had no idea that Jarrett walked out that many times or that his wife died from cancer. So many of those stories were ones I forgot about, but then started to recall as they were telling them. Like, his shoot promo on Raw. I vaguely remember that now after listening to it and I need to look that up on the Network. And it felt wrong, but even I was cracking up listening to and then remembering all the women Jarrett put in the future four.