DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Ohhh. Now I'm remembering. I was wavering on giving them another five minutes and then Conrad starting going on about how Tony needs to "rub one out" before the show because his old man balls are throbbing so much he can't think. And it was apparent that was going to become a unifying theme for the whole 3 hours.

It was like listening to an early 90s morning zoo crew but reaaallly slow.

It was like when really dumb drunk guys try to riff movies like MST3K but the only references in their lexicon are to titties, pussies, and fags.

"Heh, heh. That guys a fag."

"Yeah...HEY PUSSY GET OFF THE SCREEN!"

"Needs more tits."

"Dude we should make this a podcast."

I know I'm being a comedy snob about it. But goddamn it was disappointing. I was hoping for some real nerd-level commentary and background.

Yeah, while I still enjoy Tony as the "Bob Saget not Danny Tanner" aspect, Conrad, who I generally like, knows what buttons to hit for Tony-isms. They were sort of funny at first, but he prodded him (and Bruce) so much early on, now they're played out. 

It reminds me of this... 

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tv-funhouse-anniversary-show/n11345?snl=1

Conrad isn't a journalist. He's just a rich fan (or money mark) who got friendly with some wrestlers and decided to do some podcasts because he genuinely loves the biz. Holding him to some kind of standard is ridiculous. He gives better podcast than Edge and Christian or Konnan's crew. 

I dunno about Edge and Christian. I think they're great, and it's just two friends bullshitting. Same with Storm and Cyrus, though they are more polished. I think Storm having worked with WON/F4W molded him into that form. 

I've never heard Konnan's show, and don't care to. Not a fan of him or Disco. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Storm and Cyrus is a great listen, and the I liked the couple Edge and Christian episodes I heard.  There's so many other good shows (maybe too many for me) that I won't ever need to bother with Schiavone or Pritchard's pods.  And from what's talked about here I'm not missing much.

Give them a shot. They're actually pretty great in terms of inside stuff and general tomfoolery. Yeah, some things you're like "Really?", but for the most part they're worth listening to. Then again, I'm biased I guess because I look forward to them. They've replaced Jericho and Austin as my go-to's. 

The latter two, while normally good, are inconsistent now with people I'm not too interested in. Tony and Bruce, to me, always have a good topic. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

There's been a huge influx of ads on their shows lately. I mean, hey, money is money, but it's been quite noticeable. 

Yeah, I had to stop listening to some other longtime favorite (non-rasslin) pods because the ads got crazy. I get it. Once you transition to full time and even start hiring staff, you gotta make the bucks. 

But I don't gotta listen. It could happen for me on some of these, too. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Yeah, I had to stop listening to some other longtime favorite (non-rasslin) pods because the ads got crazy. I get it. Once you transition to full time and even start hiring staff, you gotta make the bucks. 

But I don't gotta listen. It could happen for me on some of these, too. 

I heard A pod where they did the ad break in the middle of a segment and didn't wait until the normal break. That was a step too far.

10 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Old dude: BACK IN THE DAY ALL WE HAD WAS STERN AND THE LAST THREE HOURS WAS COMMERCIALS!!!

That's why it was always best to listen to first hour of stern. Regularly he would get rolling and they would go 45+ minutes before taking first ad break.

Yeah, the bashing of Conrad  is probably unfair. He was on Jimmy Traina's SI podcast and talked about all the hours of research and notes he puts in (re-reading Observers, Torches, re-watching shows etc). The humor can be a little juvenile so if that stuff triggers you it can be a drag.

I mean, these aren't the shows for critical fans because you're going to dismiss Bruce and Conrad as WWE shills (which for assorted reasons they kind of are) and Tony's show establishes that he wasn't really involved in WCW creative and was very limited in what he knew about backstage gossip. From Tony you just get the hindsight horror. These shows are GREAT for casual fans or if you're just in the mood to walk down memory lane. Even last week's Heyman in WWE episode which is well-trod stuff had enough interesting anecdotes and reminisces to make it solid. I will say if you didn't get there, listen to the Vince Russo episode. Conrad just reads from Vince's book and Bruce, who is a world-class bullshitter, just gets more and more aghast and appalled at Russo's claims.

I dunno, I've listened to every episode of both and have enjoyed them. The career retrospectives are great. However, if Bruce's  Bruceness annoys you you're gonna check out.

As far as the other pods mentioned, Storm and Cyrus are great and I hated Storm's F4W stuff.  Their pod is a lot less cynical while still being critical. E and C's is a slog at times.

I get backlogged on interview pods but my mandatory weekly listens are the Law Network (including Keep it 2000 which is great), the VOW flagship, Conrad's pods and Cyrus and Storm. Raven is a breezy listen too.

Killing the Town, understandably with Don working for them, has too much NJPW for me. 

With more Kenny Omega stuff this week and Konnan as the guest, I prob should just delete it rather than spend the time skipping to the parts I want to hear.

I dig Killing the Town just for that. How many WWE-centric podcasts are already out there? And they get their WWE shit in too. Plus, Cyrus just talked about "bitchmade" with Konnan. 

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I dig Killing the Town just for that. How many WWE-centric podcasts are already out there? And they get their WWE shit in too. Plus, Cyrus just talked about "bitchmade" with Konnan. 

Since I don't watch NJPW, i dont care to listen, esp since Don is not going to bad mouth his employer. 

And I loathe Konnan. 

I like them telling crazy old stories. 

I said this on Twitter, but the Storm and Cyrus podcast is the one that I listen to where I feel like I actually learn something new about the business itself with every episode.  I've especially enjoyed their analysis of the G1 Climax so far.

I've always been a big fan of Don Callis (hell, my Elite character was more him than Paul E) and found his insights on the business entertaining.  Plus, as someone that's hung around cocky Canadians more times than not, I appreciate his constant putting himself over. :)

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I don't doubt that Conrad does a ton of research. I just get irritated with the constant bickering because he didn't get an answer he wanted or expected.

Yeah, I'm not going to let Conrad off the hook for being irritating just because "he loves the business." Badgering Bruce about not answering money-related questions (which the majority of listeners do not care about) and the non-stop "but how would VINCE say it?!?!?" even when Bruce is clearly just trying to talk about the subject at hand are really obnoxious things he should stop doing because even if he isn't a journalist, he's the host of a podcast that should be concerned about whether or not his show is entertaining.

I cannot fathom listening to a Bruce Pritchard podcast. I can't bring myself to believe anything he says, so hard pass from me.

Killing the Town is more entertaining to me when they discuss shitty Tony Condello tours, and random shenanigans they got into when they were workers. I don't really care for NJPW, so them breaking down the G1 isn't much fun for me.

• Like 1