DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I still expect him to give it up after the wedding. 

what makes you think that? I mean, none of us know the dude and the podcast is successful. Assuming he's not a complete Larry David misanthrope and assuming he's not completely working Conrad, , don't see the point in doing this and doing appearance and indy shows and travelling all over just to bail the second a wedding is paid for. 

I dunno. The Monday Night Wars were a weird time because fans genuinely took sides and Tony was terrible the last few years, especially when compared to peak Jim Ross. Time has somewhat leveled that, but I think a lot of fans still have weird animosity towards WCW associated folks. 

I think he's in it til they run out of topics to riff on, which to be fair, will probably happen sooner than later.  Its a surprisingly feel good podcast deep down, as Schiavone seems progressively happier as the weeks go by. 

Regarding the Heenan episode: my interpretation of their spat was that it was a personality clash between a guy treating the business like a job (show up, put in the time, go home to the family) vs. the mentality of an old school paranoid carny like Bobby.  The story about Heenan staring at Schiavone all night across a bar was genuinely creepy.

Over in Prichard-land, while I'm not out on the show, I definitely feel there's been diminishing returns.  The Cornette and jovial, backslapping Vince impressions are always funny to me but some of the back-and-forth is starting to feel forced like they're going through the motions.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DukeCaesar said:

Regarding the Heenan episode: my interpretation of their spat was that it was a personality clash between a guy treating the business like a job (show up, put in the time, go home to the family) vs. the mentality of an old school paranoid carny like Bobby.  

OT: IIRC, this is one of the reasons Bret criticized Warrior in his book. Bret didn't feel that Warrior respected the business enough to deserve what he had. 

And I am pretty sure I have seen Warrior talking about its just being a job for him and how he couldn't understand all these obsessive lifer types. 

13 hours ago, DukeCaesar said:

Its a surprisingly feel good podcast deep down, as Schiavone seems progressively happier as the weeks go by. 

It was my understanding that Tony had distanced himself from the rasslin world for a long time. It sounds like this podcast is allowing him to remember the good times, laugh and poke fun at the bad times, and reconnect with some folks he hasn't seen in awhile. 

It seems healthy for him and entertaining for us. Win-Win!

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I've been trying to sort out why the Tony Schiavone and Bruce Prichard podcasts annoy me, and I think I've figured it out.

First, Conrad strikes me as a likable guy for the most part, but his outbursts whenever Prichard won't answer a question to his satisfaction are annoying at best and show-derailing at worst. Whenever he starts shouting and cursing at Prichard, that's my cue to delete the episode because it won't get any better from there. It feels as though he comes in with a pre-determined idea of what he wants the answer to be, and get unreasonably angry whenever he doesn't get it. I also have no idea why he keeps asking Prichard money questions when he has never gotten an answer. It's been a year or so, you know he's not going to answer anything about money, why keep asking it? Prichard is a question-dodger for sure, but screaming at him and saying "I'm just trying to do a fucking show" each time is not enjoyable listening. It's almost like Prichard is deliberately being a troll and Conrad falls for it every single time.

Second, I find it impossible to listen to any show dedicated to a specific event. With the Schiavone podcast, they do commentary on a match typically, and I don't listen to podcasts when I can sync them up to a video and watch along. With the Prichard podcast, Conrad comes aimed with star ratings and quotes from Meltzer, which triggers Prichard into becoming uncooperative because Prichard has a preconceived bias against Meltzer.

I've found that when it's dedicated to a long-ranging topic, the shows are easier to stomach. As others have mentioned, the Schiavone podcast regarding his relationship with Bobby Heenan was great. I know they'll probably run out of material quicker doing career arc podcasts, but I really do find those to be more enjoyable. Of course, that also creates the opposite problem of the shows then becoming too long. Three hours is a long time to listen to a podcast (I'm someone, for example, that enjoys Brian Last but can't listen to the 6:05 Superpodcast because I don't have 4+ hours to dedicate to it each week). The workaround is chopping career arcs into small chunks, I guess.

The shows can be great, I just find these flaws hard to overcome.

My goal is 40-45 minutes a show. Less than 30 seems too short and over an hour can be too long (plus bathroom breaks become an issue).

i like the E&C show, but its usually 2 hours, so usually listen in chunks. 

I tried 1.5x speed, but for some reason I found myself tracking back to relisten because my brain wouldn't process the sped-up speech properly.

I'm with you on the Pritchard/Conrad show @Sasha - the subject matter would always draw me in then I'd end up turning it off after 30 minutes due to the passive aggressive 'banter'.

As far as finding time for podcasts, I drive about two+ hours to work every day so they tend to cover my commute neatly. Joe Rogan's stuff I tend to leave for when I'm travelling long distance to a car launch or something

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

As far as finding time for podcasts, I drive about two+ hours to work every day so they tend to cover my commute neatly. Joe Rogan's stuff I tend to leave for when I'm travelling long distance to a car launch or something

Same. My downfall was discovering Between the Sheets. It single-handedly knocked almost all of my other podcasts out of rotation. 

A great podcast needs to have engaging personalities and be interesting. It's a balancing act. With Pritchard, the balance is off.  Pritchard is not super engaging but he gives you tons of info you're just not getting anywhere else.  

I listened to the rise of cena episode recently. Where else am i learning about cenas relationship with wwe pre-developmental or what vince really thought about him?

Catching up on Something To Wrestle With and this thread, it's interesting how the things people enjoy about it are the things I dislike and vice versa - the constant impersonations are by far the most irritating Prichard ever gets, and Conrad (who I can't stand) asking for them all the time is the best way to get me to skip ahead. The Heyman episode was almost impossible for me to get through.

It's also interesting to me how IWC fans will leap to Meltzer's defense anytime anyone challenges his version of events - I'm not sure I understand the blind loyalty. I tend to lean towards being anti-Meltzer due to his presentation of his opinions as facts, which isn't my idea of journalism.

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Catching up on Something To Wrestle With and this thread, it's interesting how the things people enjoy about it are the things I dislike and vice versa - the constant impersonations are by far the most irritating Prichard ever gets, and Conrad (who I can't stand) asking for them all the time is the best way to get me to skip ahead. The Heyman episode was almost impossible for me to get through.

It's also interesting to me how IWC fans will leap to Meltzer's defense anytime anyone challenges his version of events - I'm not sure I understand the blind loyalty. I tend to lean towards being anti-Meltzer due to his presentation of his opinions as facts, which isn't my idea of journalism.

The Jerry Jarrett impersonation is wearing so thin at this point you can see straight through it. At least he stopped doing the bingo calls whenever ECW was mentioned or singing "With My Baby Tonight"... he has stopped doing that, right? :\

On 8/7/2017 at 11:45 AM, MORELOCK said:

For me, it's not as much "leaping to Meltzer's defense" as is realizing that Prichard is just working an annoying gimmick with Conrad's blessing/setups.  If Conrad were genuinely trying to put forth a good show, he'd probably not reference the Observer at all, since every time he brings up anything Observer-related, it derails the podcast.  But just like the argument segments @Sasha mentioned, it really feels like both men realize what their gimmicks are and they're just going with that.  As a guy who hates indy wrestling, I'd have figured you'd dislike both guys just running through all their highspots and nothing else ;)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

For me, it's not as much "leaping to Meltzer's defense" as is realizing that Prichard is just working an annoying gimmick with Conrad's blessing/setups.  If Conrad were genuinely trying to put forth a good show, he'd probably not reference the Observer at all, since every time he brings up anything Observer-related, it derails the podcast.  But just like the argument segments @Sasha mentioned, it really feels like both men realize what their gimmicks are and they're just going with that.  As a guy who hates indy wrestling, I'd have figured you'd dislike both guys just running through all their highspots and nothing else ;)

The Observer stuff seems to be somewhere around half Conrad being legitimately interested in Bruce's take and half leaning into the Meltzer trashing gimmick, since both seem to be aware of how much attention it gets by now. There have been some good tidbits of information that have come from Bruce when he's addressing Meltzer's writing, so I can't throw it out entirely. We can agree that Conrad isn't genuinely trying to put on a good show, as he seems to be a lot more focused on entertaining himself. It's always amusing to me when Conrad references going deeper into a subject on a previous podcast and gives himself a self-congratulatory "It's a good listen!" since with most shows I feel like it would actually be a good listen if they'd cut 30-45 minutes of bullshit out of it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 0:23 AM, Sasha said:

I

Second, I find it impossible to listen to any show dedicated to a specific event. With the Schiavone podcast, they do commentary on a match typically, and I don't listen to podcasts when I can sync them up to a video and watch along. W

I tried watching and listening to the latest Schiavone and I couldn't make it through 10 minutes. Between the endless repetition of the same tired old man jokes about tits and beer or whatever and the fact that Schiavone didn't seem interested in talking much about what was going on behind the scenes, but just in going "Well that sucks. This is fucking lame. WCW ladies and gnetlemen, what a piece of shit!"

There was nothing there. How many times can you say "slapdick" and think it's landing? Like at about 7 mins. I was like "If they say slapdick three more times in the show I'm quitting.  You will note I said I did not make it to 10 mins."

I guess it's a catchphrase for the sake of selling shirts. After all, he sells two different "slapdick" shirts.

It's still annoying though, absolutely.

I'm not big on the meta commentary of an event since I'm not likely to search out what they are watching (the 100th nitro this week for example).

My issue is that I want more Crockett era talk and less nitro talk.