DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Ace said:

Standard BC shirts money goes to NJPW. The only money the talent receives is from their personal PWT stores, I believe.

MVP's VIP Lounge podcast has Mark Henry.  If you want to hear Mark talking about road stories and other cool shit then this is definitely worth a listen.  They cover bar fights, smoking with Snoop (not Mark though he likely had a contact high) and tough guys like Meng.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the point of Mike Sempervive? What purpose does he serve WOL? He's a hypersensitive, whinging bitch that gets super defensive when anybody calls him out on his shitty, weird opinions. And then he gets into tough guy mode where he just laughs off criticisms. He laughed at awful shit like constantly laughing about DJZ's latest injury. Whut. da. hale? Out of the thousands of die hard listeners and subscribers, this is the best that Bryan can do? How long has he been around for?

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

What is the point of Mike Sempervive? What purpose does he serve WOL? He's a hypersensitive, whinging bitch that gets super defensive when anybody calls him out on his shitty, weird opinions. And then he gets into tough guy mode where he just laughs off criticisms. He laughed at awful shit like constantly laughing about DJZ's latest injury. Whut. da. hale? Out of the thousands of die hard listeners and subscribers, this is the best that Bryan can do? How long has he been around for?

Apparently he covers/covered Japanese wrestling and moreso MMA on another F4W show, not sure if they still do that.  But unless there's a worthwhile guest on there I stopped listening to WOL partly because of him.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of chatter about Schiavone and Pritchard but Tony's podcast has really found a fun rhythm of shitting on WCW and Schiavone reliving the nightmare that it was. 

Pritchard's act grows a bit thin but each episode generally has enough to make it worthwhile.

Using the Observer as a source whilst the guys bury Dave can be excessive but it's basically a gimmick at this point.

• Like 2

Schiavone is great. It's obvious that his absence of the business has made it a better show. He's seeing things for the first time since they've aired, and answering questions he hadn't been asked a million times before. A lot of credit goes to Conrad too. 

My favorite bits Tony does, are when they'll sync up a match and he'll redo commentary over it. 

• Like 1

Given how bitter he was before doing the pod, you wonder if this is all a work to get $ for his daughters wedding and once that s  done, he will go back to hating wrestling and blocking everyone on Twitter

On 7/6/2017 at 1:14 AM, Oyaji said:

As far as I can tell 70% of the words Sepervive says are some combination of:

"You know it's just....and again....I mean...like we were saying...it just...they can't you know...but it's...I mean...you know...there it is..."

"Exactly, Mike!"

He's absorbing Dave's tics. 

Its only a matter of time before get a bunch of: 

"I don't know. You'd have to ask him." 

"Yeah, yeah, yeah okay....so, here's what I heard." 

"Yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah..." 

Dave and Bryan's banter is so formulaic, it's great. This for whatever reason, reminded me of a post on the F4W board about a random thread, "Was Stu Hart retarded?" 

Crass as it is, there was a post in it that had me in tears, because it's something that'd totally go down... 

Bryan: "This guy here says, was Stu Hart retarded? Dynamite Kid says he was once making eggs and scooped out a cat litter box with his spatula."

Dave: "I don't know. You'd have to ask Stu Hart."

Bryan: "Stu Hart's dead."

Dave: "Is the cat still alive?" 

• Like 1

I came here to put over the Schiavone podcast and am happy to see I got beat to it!  Its really hit its stride.  Tony is confident and candid while the subjects are covering ground that hasn't been treaded on ad nauseam.  Great perspective from a guy that seems relatively normal (not a dyed in the wool carny) who recognizes that the wrestling business exists in the proverbial bubble.  A far cry from when he sounded tired and depressed on JR's podcast a couple years ago.  I feel bad for him that he was painted as A Bad Guy on the wrong side of history by the IWC for the last 20 years.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 5:51 PM, Hagan said:

Pritchard's act grows a bit thin but each episode generally has enough to make it worthwhile.

Using the Observer as a source whilst the guys bury Dave can be excessive but it's basically a gimmick at this point.

I finally quit on Prichard's show this morning -- stopped it and deleted it from my phone -- for this very reason.  Here's the threadbare formula of the show:

1. 3-4 minutes of advertisements
  2. Defensive bitching and/or clarifications from last week
  3. Conrad reads the Observer's coverage of whatever their topic is
  4. Interspersed with Bruce shitting on Meltzer (as you said, it's just a gimmick at this point, and a very annoying one) and being overly defensive of WWF/E because all the boys are marks for New York deep down and are desperate to get back there, despite what they all say
  5. More LONG ad breaks
  6. Rinse, repeat

I gave up while listening to their review of Fully Loaded 98, where two or three matches in a  row were derided by Meltzer, so Prichard trotted out the same old song and dance in reaction each time.  It's just old at this point.  I also can't stand the intellectually-dishonest defense of, "insert critic here could never do this job so he has no right to criticize," which Prichard pulls out regularly.  

This was a good show when it started but now they're just lazily falling back on the gimmicks they're known for and nothing else.  Seriously, if the whole show is just becoming "Conrad trolls Bruce for the easy reaction," I'd rather just skip this tired shit.

I thought the Cena and Punk episodes were really solid. It really depends on the topic. For some topics there just isn't enough to talk about for 3 hours and the act starts getting thin. I also fast forward through all of the intros and advertisements. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Tony's show about Heenan was pretty fascinating, with him being pretty honest about the mistakes he made dealing witn  Heenan. 

I haven't listened to the new ep on Heenan yet, as I have been catching up on older ones. But I definitely prefer the Tony/Conrad dynamic to Bruce/Conrad. Conrad teases/trolls Tony sometimes, but they feel like genuine friends. 

Tony also likes to take issue with Meltzer, usually when it's a matter of style difference. But it's usually amusing, not offensive. 

• Like 2

The Tony/Conrad being friends thing is interesting because from what I gather Conrad/Bruce are in business together.

Tony is definitely playing less of a character than Bruce is, which gives the show a more casual feel.

Incidentally, Conrad has gotten a lot of 'mainstream' pub from this show, including appearances on various SI podcast. Also, very interesting Graves and JBL was allowed to mention the show on Network. Pretty interesting how popular these shows are.

Heenan episode was very interesting and Tony gave a lot of context. What is so fascinating about this is it's easy to forget how traumatizing any company going out of business is, especially in a company that lies to you. You have to assume that Tony was making decent money (low six figures) but with a huge family. Don't blame him for being bitter but seems like the fact that he made it through and was able to keep a roof over his family's head has mellowed things.

• Like 1