DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Schiavone, again, was a riot doing play by play for some Uncensored '95 matches. If you plan to watch along, like I did, don't start at the time Conrad says. Start at the very beginning. Funny stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great story from Edge and Christian's new episode (Kane is the guest, which is great) about Edge's tryout in May '96, but also a year later, how Christian is playing NHL '96 in his bedroom, gets a call from Edge about some guys having visa problems, and they needed an extra, so he borrows his mom's car to head to the Copps Coliseum to face Edge in a dark match, two hours later. 

https://art19.com/shows/ecs-pod-of-awesomeness/episodes/ef9fc1a0-2dc8-4cfd-8531-a4d6df439dfe 

12:20

So, Schiavone, per the Fall Brawl '97 episode this week, admitted to being hopped up on speed due to adult ADD on this show and around this time. (https://art19.com/shows/what-happened-when/episodes/1e563bf3-1edc-4a14-b1a1-b9b33729137f 37:33 if you wanna skip) He quit due to the side effects and pretty much didn't feel it was worth getting fucked up in the long run. 

Maybe that explains his oft-knocked commentary. He admitted before to stop giving a shit in the early to mid 90s, so, maybe there was more to it. 

Anyways, he seems quite happy to not be working in wrestling anymore, so good for him. Though, he did say in an earlier episode he'd accept a job working in the WWE production department, which is what he did a lot of work in when he was there, but he knows they want youth working on it, so he's fine with it. 

Ravens podcast has really found its groove, getting Busby as his permanent co-host and becoming a very irreverent and easy listen.

The last 3 weeks have had him do a career retrospective with some very funny sidetracks.

Carrying over from the Jericho thread, Ravens ad segways are always well worked also!

On 19/05/2017 at 9:32 AM, bazzil said:

What happened to Swinger as Ravens co host?

Seems to have been canned after 2-3 episodes.

Raven's Portland days stories about Piper, DeBeers, Don Owens and the Barrs is some really great listening.  Busby is good at getting "sleaze" stories out of Raven as the talk about their WCW days. Becoming one of my favourite listens.

I was looking forward to Ravens podcast as i always liked his shoot interviews (even though it's probably been over 10 years since i've seen one) but when they barely touched on wrestling in the first couple of episodes I lost interest. Listened to the show where Raven talks about getting in the business and it was a great so I'll be checking out his subsequent wrestling ones.

• Like 1

Someone named Les Moore has a wrestling podcast and it's not called "Les is Moore"? 

*I've been drinking and there is a very good chance that the name sounded better in my head.*

• Like 2

On 5/23/2017 at 2:59 AM, PetrolCB said:

Schiavone, as usual, was great again. His new commentary over Hogan/Warrior from Havoc '98 was hilarious. 

I was trying to listen to that and watch the match as I was working out and couldn't. I was laughing too hard to actually get anything done.

Fun story from the Young Bucks on WOR:

The Bucks/Bullet Club have a deal with Hot Topic now.  Dave asked how the deal came about and one of the Bucks told the story:

A Hot Topic exec was at Mania weekend and saw Bucks, Omega, and BC shirts everywhere.  Assuming these were WWE Superstars (it was Mania weekend, after all), he asked his merch contact at WWE how he could get some of those shirts for Hot Topic stores.  The WWE rep sheepishly told the Hot Topic exec that none of them work for WWE.  The exec finally found the shirts on prowrestingtees or somewhere like that and was able to track the Bucks down from there.

• Like 2

I really don't know why people here hate the Bucks. They are entertaining as hell and have done an amazing job carving out a career on the indies. They are really one of modern wrestling's greatest success stories if you think about it.

• Like 2

Their work isn't to my taste but I respect their innovation and characters. And merch savvy. Which brings up that interesting nWo question - who gets the royalty payments off those Bullet Club t-shirt sales? New Japan? The Bucks? Finn Balor? Karl Anderson?

Not to get into sleaze, but Schiavone's story about an online wrestling personality encouraging violence against his daughter/family was about Chris Hyatte, right? 

Do any old Mop-Up readers remember this or am I getting it confused with something else? 

edit: answered my own question. Dude apparently had a Twitter and confirmed it. Man, the Attitude Era was a fucked up time. 

Edited by Hagan
Google was my friend.

11 hours ago, Hagan said:

Not to get into sleaze, but Schiavone's story about an online wrestling personality encouraging violence against his daughter/family was about Chris Hyatte, right? 

Do any old Mop-Up readers remember this or am I getting it confused with something else? 

Holy shit, I didn't put 2 and 2 together when I was listening to the podcast but you're exactly right.  That was definitely Hyatte.

On 6/5/2017 at 7:32 AM, CreativeControl said:

Their work isn't to my taste but I respect their innovation and characters. And merch savvy. Which brings up that interesting nWo question - who gets the royalty payments off those Bullet Club t-shirt sales? New Japan? The Bucks? Finn Balor? Karl Anderson?

Standard BC shirts money goes to NJPW. The only money the talent receives is from their personal PWT stores, I believe.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit, I didn't put 2 and 2 together when I was listening to the podcast but you're exactly right.  That was definitely Hyatte.

I remember enjoying Hyatte's stuff back in the day but I imagine it doesn't age well.

• Like 1