DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Prichard towing the company line is usually easy to let slide since it doesn't impact things too much.  Listen to the show enough and you'll figure out how to take the good with the bad.  That being said, the Mania 7 and the steroid scandal shows were skippable due to Prichard's insistence on sticking to McMahon's narrative becoming absolutely intolerable.  When he's doing things like sticking to the bomb scare story or swearing Meltzer is wrong about the Mania 3 attendance, it's too much.

When they covered No Holds Barred, I really wished they'd addressed the rumor that Vince and Hogan locked themselves in a hotel room with a bunch of coke and rewrote the script.

Prichard's pro-WWE bull is easily outweighed by the level of insight he gives, but it does throw the whole point of the podcast into question (fun inside info is only fun if it's true). Still, I like Conrad and while their bickering can get tiresome, there's also some real humour in it sometimes. The Sunny ep for instance, while sad, also had some good laughs.

Here's hoping his new job doesn't affect things. I haven't caught up to the episodes he's done since joining Impact. There isn't some clearly BS pro-TNA talk, is there?

For those wondering, JR's first podcast after his wife's death is not nearly has tear jerking as I thought it would be. Ross addresses the situation candidly and like a total pro, so much so that at first I wondered if he'd recorded it before hand. The guy is old school, man. He's gonna make those bookings.

• Like 1

The only problem and its a sort of a big one on the Schivaone pod cast (at least the early episodes) is how its billed as this look behind the curtin of WCW but any time Schivaone is asked about something controversial or behind the scenes he just deflects it with "I dont know I was just the announcer"

After all the Klondike Bill stories and the tale told on the Q&A episode in great detail about Tony being in the room with Flair and a "party girl" who was trying to coerce him into a threesome, the Schiavone podcast might be better off bringing the SLEAZE~! going forward instead of copying the Prichard format.

The E&C Pod had a really good interview with Beth Phoenix this week. She seemed pretty open to the idea of returning at some point and would like to work with Charlotte or Nia.

They also covered Mania and the post-Mania shows a bit too. They filmed a bunch of stuff for the Network show during Mania.

I definitely don't want to come off like I'm happy about their situation or anything, but the AIW podcast has a chance to tell such a compelling story in the coming weeks.  From the sounds of it, Thorne's not even sure he wants to keep the promotion going.

The Schiavone podcast is more entertaining for just how acerbic Tony is. It's not a deep dive like Pritchard, but Tony has interesting insights and stories. And yeah, him calling the Coal Miner's Glove match was fucking hilarious. I also kind of dig how this podcast is clearly getting the dude to reconcile his apathy he had for the business. 

The Pritchard show on Owen was interesting. Naturally, the skipped over any OTE talk, as they had indicated a long time back, but some good Owen rib stories. Bruce clearly thought much of what Martha wrote in her book wasn't reflective of his interactions with the guy but he wasn't going to challenge a widow.  

That show was good but it bugged me a bit, probably because I don't think a lot of ribs are funny.  Prank call Stu Hart?  That's funny.  Call Ahmed Johnson and tell him he's going to be on the tonight show, then he goes and spends a lot of money on new clothes and waits outside for a limo?  That's  a little fucked up.  

• Like 1