DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

While it is hard to argue how awful the Batista stuff at the end of his run mostly not his fault,  it is kind of hindsight to say that we knew that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a huge success.  I mean it would have been 100 times better than anything the WWE Films did but that bar is extremely low

13 hours ago, hammerva said:

While it is hard to argue how awful the Batista stuff at the end of his run mostly not his fault,  it is kind of hindsight to say that we knew that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be a huge success.  I mean it would have been 100 times better than anything the WWE Films did but that bar is extremely low

As soon as I saw the trailer I was in love with the movie and knew it'd do tremendous business.  No hindsight on my part, though I get what you mean.  That said, it's a big-budget Marvel movie.  How HHH could dismiss it and not know about Marvel movies is beyond me.  Would be nice if somebody clued him in on that.

• Like 3

My point exactly.  I mean I remember seeing ridiculous clickbait articles about how Guardians was "Marvel's biggest gamble to date" but the trailers alone generated enough interest to guarantee it would have at least a huge first weekend.  It wasn't Ant-Man, for fuck's sake.

Did we know Guardians would be as big as it was?  Probably not, but nobody genuinely thought it would bomb.

2 hours ago, NickMD said:

As soon as I saw the trailer I was in love with the movie and knew it'd do tremendous business.  No hindsight on my part, though I get what you mean.  That said, it's a big-budget Marvel movie.  How HHH could dismiss it and not know about Marvel movies is beyond me.  Would be nice if somebody clued him in on that.

Dude is a master politician, he'd say anything to keep a wrestler in his place. They don't want another Rock and by golly they don't need to worry about because between him and Stephanie they don't seem to have a clue about the real world or getting people over.

• 3 weeks later...

I like that show a lot too. Definitely an acquired taste. The characters are great but sometimes I wish they'd digress a little less, but still hilarious.

SEXUAL MAURO RENALO HERE, IN NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING WE DIDN'T HAVE LOVE! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PROCESS LOVE.

• Like 1

The Dean and Renee stuff is so fluid for them, it's kind of amazing.  Yeah, I was skeptical at first, but by the second episode, they convinced me.  It feels different, and they're both hilarious, especially Marty.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD PODCAST ALERT

Check out "The Card Is Going to Change" if you haven't already. It's a weekly thing with the co-owners of AIW out of Cleveland, talking about the process of booking indie shows, signing all stripes of workers from indie "names" to ex-WWE guys to old-school legends, and it just pulls the curtain back a little and shows how the proverbial sausage is made.

1 hour ago, NickMD said:

That moved to a different site.  http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/shows/after-dark-radio/

And if you like Karl Stern he has a show called Dragon King Dark that's on the site as well.

Thanks man, I know that part.  I'm wondering where I can download the shows.  They used to be posted of the After Dark site but there's nothing new there since June.  Have they changed to streaming only?  I don't subscribe to F4W so that's out.

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks man, I know that part.  I'm wondering where I can download the shows.  They used to be posted of the After Dark site but there's nothing new there since June.  Have they changed to streaming only?  I don't subscribe to F4W so that's out.

My bad, should have read that a bit better.  Basically, he's scrapping the After Dark site and bringing it back to the F4D site.  However, it doesn't appear there's going to be free as you'd need to be a subscriber.  If you do Twitter you might want to tweet him asking about a free option.  But other than that for free it's streaming only.  If i find out anything different I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Wow, that new Bruce Pritchard podcast (MLW) is a mixed bag.  Typical old guy who shits on young guys shtick, but decent when he gets to the meat of the show -- telling old stories. 

He started the show talking about the Charlotte/Jericho/Enzo/Sasha thing on Raw and thought everyone was great but Sasha, who he said was bad in the ring and out.  Two things:

1. Right or wrong, when you're an old southern dude putting over everyone in a segment except the lone black wrestler, that just doesn't look good at all.
  2. It's awesome to see every single old dude, without fail, give Charlotte a pass because obviously charisma is hereditary.  I'm clearly in the wrong for finding Charlotte dull as dishwater.  Seriously, they treat her talent like a foregone conclusion.

This week's AIW podcast has a great story about one of their producers meeting Tommy Rich way back when, when Rich was staying the night at a hotel the dude worked at, and how Rich tried to get him comped into the late JT Lightning's show. The whole podcast is talking about JT (who has a tournament in his memory run by AIW each year) and what it meant to Cleveland indies in his day. Makes me wish I was able to appreciate the independent scene in those days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given up on the MLW podcast. I gave it a few weeks after Konnan left but these days it's just MSL being down on everything for an hour straight. It brings me down, there are entire episodes where he doesn't have one positive thing to say about anything, and now that there's no Konnan there to keep things at least kind of funny it's just a depressing listen. Just not for me. I'm sticking with Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling, because they genuinely seem to be enjoying themselves.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2016 at 4:19 AM, Technico Support said:

Wow, that new Bruce Pritchard podcast (MLW) is a mixed bag.  Typical old guy who shits on young guys shtick, but decent when he gets to the meat of the show -- telling old stories. 

He started the show talking about the Charlotte/Jericho/Enzo/Sasha thing on Raw and thought everyone was great but Sasha, who he said was bad in the ring and out.  Two things:

1. Right or wrong, when you're an old southern dude putting over everyone in a segment except the lone black wrestler, that just doesn't look good at all.
  2. It's awesome to see every single old dude, without fail, give Charlotte a pass because obviously charisma is hereditary.  I'm clearly in the wrong for finding Charlotte dull as dishwater.  Seriously, they treat her talent like a foregone conclusion.

Prichard's podcast is interesting in the sense that it's cool to get some insight into what was going on in mind of Vince/Pat Patterson, etc. at the time period of the topics they discuss (Dusty joining WWF, the Ultimate Warrior's rise, the Lex Express).

It does feel like he's not totally forthcoming with certain things though. To his credit, Conrad Thompson (the same one from Flair's show, who I know a lot of people don't like) actually does a good job of pressing him on certain things and not letting him worm out of answers. I don't know if he's still protective of Vince or what, but there's certain things he says that are just impossible for me to believe (example: The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior wasn't meant to be a hit piece on Warrior, it just organically became one after they filmed everything and realized everyone was trashing him). 

• Like 1

@Fallacy!  Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous and I'm glad Thompson somewhat calls him out on the bullshit.  Like when asked if the polka dots or Sapphire for Dusty, or the Red Rooster gimmick for Taylor, were ribs.  Prichard's pat response is, "why would Vince blow money on ribbing someone?"  Come the fuck on.  Vince is a lunatic, that's why.

Prichard's dismissal of most modern stuff would be maddening if it weren't so obvious that he has no idea what he's talking about.  When discussing Sami Zayn, Thompson said something like, "his work on the indies as El Generico was.." and Prichard cut him off with, "generic!"  Spoken like someone who never saw an El Generico match in his life.

Again, listen for the old stories (for the most part), tune him out when discussing modern stuff.

When there's other quality podcasts out there, why put up with any of it at all?  Unless there's a time stamp of when the road stories happen I'd just not bother with it.  I can't believe he'd have the temerity to suggest that the Warrior DVD organically turned into a hit piece.

I like Conrad as he follows what's going on and is good at asking questions that Flair doesn't really get to.  Flair's show has had some damn fine guests as well.  HBK and Cody episodes have been pretty great.  The recent one with Angle is fun to hear his take on the Olympic wrestlers.  Still need to finish up the Dana White part but from what I read in the recap it sounds like he gives some good information.