DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Are there any Ross Reports from the past few months where JR doesn't do his usual "Heels don't act like heels", "The death of the territories ruined wrestling" schtick?

On JR's most recent podcast (with Bryan Alvarez, reviewing the Royal Rumble), he sounds more bitter than usual. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, they literally shot it on film? Like, 35mm cellulose-based Kodak-bought filmstock in Panavision cameras? What kind of complete fucking moron would do that with a wrestling show?!

Sorry for the confusion, but what I mean is a camera designed for filming movies and not things like wrestling. I am of the notion it was multiple red one cinema cameras, which are great if you want to film a movie, but are poorly designed for things like wrestling. This is why of the footage out there of the action in ring, focus was an issue.

Ah, okay. Yeah, it's still stupid, but at least it lowers the level of stupidity from an 8 to about a 4 on the Tommy Wiseau Scale. This one sounds more like some Werner Herzog self-challenge austerity: "film an entire documentary about ancient cave paintings with 3D cameras... which take forever to set up for every individual shot... and we're doing so inside a cave where we're only allowed to shoot for three hours per day".

Nice to hear Mr Wonderful in high spirits and doing well on Flair's podcast, interview wasn't much though as he has memory issues these days. We did find out the secret to his amazing piledriver though - his huge legs

Flair's podcast is so so good.  I don't think there's been a dud yet.

On one side of the coin, the Prichard episode brought the fun with wild bar stories and never heard before (as far as I know) anecdotes about the Mr. Perfect vignettes.

On the other, the Orndorff episode had the emotional impact of hearing an older guy excited to talk to an old friend while also lamenting a little about how he may have treated people when he was younger.  

Also, it was hilarious when Conrad brought up the fact that people have apparently started a drinking game for whenever Ric brings up the Ole Anderson "what good are you to me now?" story.  

• Like 1

Really? Cause I find some of the episodes unlistenable. Between the audio problems and all the times Ric and his guest talk over each other, I can barely make it through an interview no matter how interested I am.

I have a hard time listening when he goes all melancholy and starts monologuing about how terrible all the old-timers are doing nowadays. Terry Funk even called him on it: "Well goddammit Ric, do you have any good news?!"

• Like 1

I tried listening to various podcasts from Taz over the last few months. Seems to have gone like this:

Early ones were badly produced (recorded on Skype or a laptop microphone) and had callers.

The 'Human Podcast Machine' was a bit better and could have been a 'Podcast One' type thing,

Most recent one I've heard (Fastlane analysis) sounds like morning radio complete with a nameless/faceless producer dropping soundbytes.

I found myself listening to too many podcasts, so I went through my iTunes and unsubscribed from Cornette's, and JR's. The bitter old man shtick was just too much.

Agreed.

That said, jericho's pod with malenko was good for Dean talking about his Japan time and growing up in WrestlingA-centeic Tampa.

Flair's podcast is so so good.  I don't think there's been a dud yet.

On one side of the coin, the Prichard episode brought the fun with wild bar stories and never heard before (as far as I know) anecdotes about the Mr. Perfect vignettes.

On the other, the Orndorff episode had the emotional impact of hearing an older guy excited to talk to an old friend while also lamenting a little about how he may have treated people when he was younger.  

Also, it was hilarious when Conrad brought up the fact that people have apparently started a drinking game for whenever Ric brings up the Ole Anderson "what good are you to me now?" story.  

Between that and the story of Dick Slater beating up ex-NFL'er Mike Matuszak on the beach in Florida, I'm half-expecting Flair to work one of those into his HOF induction of Sting. He finds a way to shoehorn at least one of those stories into every single podcast, no matter who the guest is.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting caught up on some real old Sklarbro Country. It's cool to hear people like Amy Poehler talk about going to wrestling shows when they were kids but it's sad to hear them talk about so many wrestlers who have since died. 

Jim Cornette's re-telling of the infamous Wee Willy Wilson/Midnight Express squash and the backstage confrontation between WWW and Dusty Rhodes(done in Dusty's voice, is the best thing that I've heard in a long time. 

I literally can't imagine listening to him on a podcast. I'd read his stuff on Grantland 'cause what the hell, I'm bored, but he strikes me as the very epitome of the overeducated "this is high art on par with the Bard~!" wrestling fan.

Vince Russo has a new show on PodcastOne, with a new episode 5 days a week.

His first show is he and Disco Inferno reviewing Wrestlemania 32. The over/under on how many times the word "bro" is uttered is set at 50, so place your bets now.

• Like 1