DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Yeah it was good to finally get that cleared up along with a load of other BS that has sprung up over the years. That said, I always feel like Easy E is giving half-truth answers to everything haha

Really? I saw something not to long ago and Bisc seemed kinda drunk and really came off like he couldn't care less at this point because it's all super old news and doesn't mean anything to him anymore. I'm not saying he wasn't lying but it seemed like he wouldn't care enough to give anything but what he saw as the truth because it didn't matter anymore. Like the tone in his voice and style of speaking was "how ridiculous is it I'm still getting paid to talk about this crap."

What's funny is Bischoff said only Hogan and Goldberg had favored nations clauses in their contracts but Hall and Nash did not. Hall told SCSA that he did have a favored nations clause. Also Bischoff doesn't remember giving Hall and Nash more money for the WWF return of Razor and Diesel and Hall recounts perfectly what led up to him and Nash getting more money. I think Bischoff has selective memory. Which is fine. Hall and Nash should remember more about their contracts than Bischoff would.

Haha fair enough, it's generally when he says stuff like "I'm not 100% on this" or "I'm not saying I'm right or he's right but how I remember it is..."

They're just such teflon answers

To be fair to Bischoff, a lot of this stuff happened nearly twenty years ago.  You also have to remember just how busy and overworked Bischoff was in WCW leading through the Nitro years.  It doesn't surprise me that a few things haven't stuck around in the noggin.

Pretty much. Eric is open to talk about anything, but I always end up taking everything he says with a grain of salt. This Part II with Flair has several moments where my bullshit-meter went off, even at the very beginning regarding the Ray Traylor PPV bonuses. Kevin Sullivan has stated that's why you saw Big Bubba/Guardian Angel/The Boss during 1994/1995 as when he signed, he asked for some ridiculous bonus if PPV buys ever got over a certain level. In 1993, WCW wasn't killing it but by the time Hogan was in, Boss Man was making a shit-ton of $$$ on shows he wasn't even on. Even if Bischoff tries to debunk the story, I still want to believe that Boss Man got one over on Eric with this deal.

Great show, wrote a detailed recap about it over on the main site. Too much text for it to be posted here.

I don't know about favored nations but Bischoff says Nash came in at $750,000. Based on the contract data from the other thread, Nash signed a new deal that kicked in on 1/1/1997 and while it only lists the last two years of the deal, he was $1.6 million by the end of it.

So somehow, Nash negotiated a massive raise within his first year in the company and it's not like he came in on a one-year deal.

• Like 1

I don't know about favored nations but Bischoff says Nash came in at $750,000. Based on the contract data from the other thread, Nash signed a new deal that kicked in on 1/1/1997 and while it only lists the last two years of the deal, he was $1.6 million by the end of it.

So somehow, Nash negotiated a massive raise within his first year in the company and it's not like he came in on a one-year deal.

Wasn't this something to do with Nash renegotiating his contract for unforseen merchandise sales? 

Wasn't this something to do with Nash renegotiating his contract for unforseen merchandise sales? 

Nash also has told the story that technically, he and Hall were not under official contract in September 1996, and had only essentially signed a letter of intent.  When the WWF started teasing the return of Razor and Diesel, he and Hall used it to their advantage and "negotiated" an extra $80K/year just based on that.

Bischoff also has talked about how certain people were underpaid and had their deals renegotiated (noting that Goldberg was especially aggravating in that regard).  Couple that with the meteoric success of the nWo and its merchandise and it's definitely feasible that he and Hall had their deals redone.

My guess is their deals were finalized around BATB. I can't imagine Hulk agreeing to turn w/o the knowledge that all the players were locked into deals with WCW. Unless Hulk was okay with Hall/Nash going back to WWF and then him being the #1 heel solo crushing all the babyfaces.

I'll pass but, man, Cornette is just pathetic.  He buries himself just doing what he does day in and day out.  Here's a guy who was pretty big in the business for a while but now can't get work anywhere because his horrible personality burns every single bridge he ever sees, so he has to do a free podcast where he shoots on indy guys.  It would be sad if it wasn't him.

An old saying summarizes Cornette perfectly: 

"If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole in the morning.  If you meet assholes all day, then you're the asshole."

Keeping with MLW shows, checked out the VIP Lounge podcast and I enjoyed it a lot.  A lot of people hate Alice, but she was absolutely fine in these.  I think when it's non-wrestling stuff she fares better in that environment.  That and I like MVP so it was an easy choice to listen to these.

Sad? It'll be great! Flair will get along with Hogan, adding more evidence to my theory that all the shittalking in Flair's book was written in by Mark Madden and Conrad will be the one that steps in to break up the love fest with good questions.

Keeping with MLW shows, checked out the VIP Lounge podcast and I enjoyed it a lot.  A lot of people hate Alice, but she was absolutely fine in these.  I think when it's non-wrestling stuff she fares better in that environment.  That and I like MVP so it was an easy choice to listen to these.

She's the reason I stopped listening to Cornette's podcast. She's an unbearable sycophant. 

• Like 1