DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Yeah, Cornette has had a bunch of great shows the last few months. I really enjoyed his interview with the two French Canadian wrestling historians Pat Laprade and Bertrand Hebert from September too. He's getting better at letting his guests talk rather than cutting them off and go an a spiel going over long historical blurbs rather than letting the guests cover that ground. Even his intros are becoming more compact and concise. He kept the Mitch McConnell diatribe to a minimum even after that droopy faced asshole won last week. While I believe he's politically naive (his reverence for near all things Democratic Party mostly), I generally agree with his criticisms of the GOP, so those intros may be less grating to me than other politically inclined listeners.

Anyway, the Lance Russell episode is probably my favourite of his series so far and I will be listening to part 2 with bells on. The bit when Lance's dogs start barking and he talks about them missing their queue was just so Lance and so perfect. What a great man.

Jim Ross has stepped his game up big time too the past while. He's letting his guests get their shit in, asking far fewer leading questions, being less miserable in tone, and minimizing his intros and trimming down on repetitive complaints. This week's episode with Alex Greenfield was interesting because Alex wouldn't shut the fuck up and JR couldn't get a word in once Alex got started. It was pretty funny listening to JR's tone change and get more frustrated as the show went on. The big thing to come out of that interview was that Greenfield stated Dunn undermined JR (shock) and he was likely the person behind JR's gradual marginalization and dismissal. But, shit, we aren't allowed to make negative comments about Kevin Dunn because IWC sheep or some such thing.

• Like 1

Just finished the latest Cornette podcast. Lance Russell really comes across as the friendliest and most likeable person in wrestling ever.

You sure he doesn't just sound that way in comparison to Cornette?

Lance also handled an irrelevant Alice Radley question pretty well too

• Like 1

It's pretty darn good. The Hardy interview wasn't the best because it largely was a retread of the Jericho interview. Part 2 of Lance Russell with Cornette was awesome, again, but not quite as much fun as the first part. A lot of TV numbers and Jim did that thing where he goes on and on for several minutes without letting his guest get a word in.

Catching up on the Sullivan MLW podcast and there are some great tidbits that I never knew:

- they had to change Beefcake from 'the Butcher' to 'the Zodiac' because they got sued by Abby!

- Ron Reis got the 'high profile' gig of the Yeti since he had the trademark on the name 'Big Sexy'

It's great!

• Like 2

Sullivan has his own show over at MLWradio.com - they're going through WCW's history month-by-month starting with the debut of WCW Nitro. Loved some random bits of Sullivan dealing with Hogan, the origins of several different things.

My podcast of the week has to be Part 1 and 2 of Roddy Piper interviewing Bobcat Goldthwait, Both trade some good stories, love how honest Bobcat is regarding his past and stand-up. Andy Kaufman talk, Bobcat in Lucha Va-Voom, Robin Williams stories - it's worth checking out. Even if you can never stand Piper's other shows, he's dialed back considerably during this one.

• Like 1

Sounds like fun. I subscribed to MLW radio's itunes channel but the Sullivan shows don't appear to download through there. Am I doing something wrong or do you have to listen via the website?

Edit: Ah, it would appear to be premium content. Lame.

I know. I'll subscribe when I have some extra cash about. I only listen to Cornette's podcast on their iTunes feed but between his premium content and Sullivan's, I could see myself getting $15 worth in a year.

Yea I just paid for my MLW Year Long SUbscription, Sullivan is worth the $15 alone. I was a WCW dude though, so I might be biased

Also, word on the street is CM Punk is going to be on Colt's Podcast tomorrow spilling out his guts. According to Dwyane Wade Keller.

• Like 1

I hate to shill my own wares, but as part of my podcast WRESTLEFOLKS, I just posted an audio shoot interview with CHIKARA's Leonard F. Chikarason, in the same vein/style of the big shoot interview companies out there. If you're groaning at the word "shoot interview", you might just be the audience for this thing (I'm trying really hard not to wink or nudge...).

It can be listened to at http://TinyURL.com/LFCShootInterview

• Like 1

Bob Holly was on JR's podcast this week and actually came off likeable. He didn't really shoot on anyone, but directed people to pick up his book. Bob spent some time talking about Steve Blackman, but he was unwilling to share some of the crazier things Blackman told him while they were on the road together. Blackman needs to be a guest on someone's podcast stat.

Of course they talked about Brawl for All, Benoit, and the Matt Cappotelli incident. Bob claims he did not take liberties with Matt, which is different from the story he said in his shoot video with RFvideo. I went back and rewatched the clip from Tough Enough. The beating looks worse than it was due to editing. Yes, Bob hit him hard across the back, but it appeared to land across the shoulder blades. Bob claimed in his conversation with JR that the boot in the corner to Matt's face was accidental due to Matt flopping like a fish. Re watching the clip, the first boot, or sneaker in this case, may have been accidental, but the second looked deliberate.

Episode 14 of the Wrestling Night Review Podcast is up, and boy did we have a lot to cover after a Round Robin format at Quest For Fire. Analyzed in depth side by side are the following three pairs of matches:

Match-up 1:
- Eddie Guerrero © VS Rey Mysterio Jr - WCW Cruiserweight Championship VS Mask 10/1997
- Chris Hero VS KENTA - ROH 08/2009

Match-up 2:
- Big Van Vader © VS Ric Flair - WCW World Heavyweight Championship VS Career 12/1993
- Jushin Thunder Liger VS Great Sasuke - NJPW J Cup Semi-Finals 04/1994

Match-up 3:
- James Gibson © VS Bryan Danielson - ROH World Championship 09/2005
- Super Vader VS Nobuhiko Takada - UWFi 04/1994

That's a lot of pro wrestling to discuss right there, but there are also more Rocky references than we could count, comparisons of how pro wrestling can be similar to Sick Of It All appearing on Beavis & Butthead, plenty of discussion of WCW VS NWO World Tour, and a surprise run in by Fedor Emelianenko.

http://wrestlingnight.podbean.com/e/wrestling-night-podcast-episode-14/