DVDVR Message Board

Podcast Potpourri (aka Not Austin, AOW, Talk Is Jericho....)

Rev Ray

Bill Watts and JR. Some elements you'd expect considering the interviewee and the various hangups of the interviewer.

Watts and JR voice similar sentiments on some topics (so far, thru 1h10m).. and Watts just outpaces JR in regards to being able to voice those opinions in an edible form. Then again, a lot of what JR learned about the business was essentially from Watts, so there's a difference between 1st and 2nd generation there

----

Watts' logic of using the NWA Champion while not being part of the NWA is pretty interesting. Granted around that time, there were major American promotions not in the NWA, but i'd imagine the idea of using the NWA Champion while not being a member was more of a mutual benefit thing.

Although there are some stories (the JYD/Super Destroyer/Ladd story) that i've heard before in almost the exact same form.

Watts seems just as willing to essentially answer 20+ yr old arguments as a Vince Russo is probably still going to keep answering the arguments made against him for 15 years. It can be justified on Watts' part because there's quite a bit of bullshit in some charges against Watts but it's pretty noticeable because he's been on that topic for a long time.

Also, Watts based his talk on modern selling on the NBC Wrestlemania special. He probably has a solid basis for the arguments but it'd be like going to the WWE YouTube page and basing your arguments on a random match you picked. There's some parts of storytelling that can be lost if you view it in an isolated format.

----

Oh, the Time Limits Question. Jim Ross can be such a shitty predictable interviewer in several regards.

MSL, next time you have Disco on, I would love for him to present some of these findings.

My booking philosophies are very very different from Disco's, but I do agree with him that typically, long matches are bad for ratings. There is plenty I don't agree with, which is why it's fun for me to chat with him. He comes from the Vince Russo school of booking. I come from the Pat Patterson school of booking. Since I bite my tongue a lot of the time, Disco may have no idea just how different my views are.

A local promotion just hired me to start booking their shows and Ed is going to come to the show with me this weekend. I'm going to pick Ed's brain and see where our thoughts differ.

Happy to see that there are several people on DVDVR that listen to the podcasts. I've stated it before on the show, but I'll say it again. My youth was consumed by RSPW and DVDVR and I try to proudly represent the wrestling trolls of the world. I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I never stopped reading and I love all of you guys.

MSL, next time you have Disco on, I would love for him to present some of these findings.

My booking philosophies are very very different from Disco's, but I do agree with him that typically, long matches are bad for ratings. There is plenty I don't agree with, which is why it's fun for me to chat with him. He comes from the Vince Russo school of booking. I come from the Pat Patterson school of booking. Since I bite my tongue a lot of the time, Disco may have no idea just how different my views are.

A local promotion just hired me to start booking their shows and Ed is going to come to the show with me this weekend. I'm going to pick Ed's brain and see where our thoughts differ.

Happy to see that there are several people on DVDVR that listen to the podcasts. I've stated it before on the show, but I'll say it again. My youth was consumed by RSPW and DVDVR and I try to proudly represent the wrestling trolls of the world. I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I never stopped reading and I love all of you guys.

The Vince Russo School of Booking

The Bernie Madoff School of Personal Finance

MSL, can anything be done about Alice's presence on Cornette's show?  I'd love to listen to him but she's beyond awful.

I enjoyed the parts of JR/Watts where Watts explained he wasn't racist because he gave the world title to A Black and he's done more for The Black's than anyone else.

Nothing good ever comes from a phrase that starts with "The *insert ethnicity here*."

I enjoyed the Watts talk. He makes his points about booking seem logical. Ross is such an interesting case. He's apparently this old-school traditionalist yet his most important time in the business both on-screen and off was during the Attitude Era, which was by and large not very good in-ring and featured borderline illogical booking more often that not. Honestly, isn't the bell-to-bell wrestling better now than it has been in a long time? Booking has it's highs and deep, deep lows but the wrestling itself seems to be way more logical than it used to be. Yet, these guys talk like we're in the dark ages or something. Weird disconnect.  

• Like 1

They talk about wrestling like how some in baseball focus on bemoaning how baseball isn't like how it used to be in the 60s/70s/80s. Stuff like how the strike zone is too small, or how the DH should be abolished or how players should bunt more often.

Look at the changes and consolidations since the 1980s if you think the territories would have survived intact thru today. Territories in important US cities were going under before VKM took over for VJM

Technico Support -

I am not involved with Jim's show. I just filled in to do him a favor. Jim likes Alice. It's his show. Some fans like her, some don't. Seems like they're having fun. I've got no involvement one way or the other.

• Like 1

I haven't gotten around to listening to any of Piper's podcasts but I do enjoy how the guests' names are occasionally a little off in the description like "Samoan Joe", "King Kamala", and "The Gangrel".

I really want to believe that Piper thinks Kamala and King Curtis Iaukea are the same guy.

Got around to listening to the Tammy Sytch interview on Cabana's show and what a chore that was. The arrogance on her is astounding even as she's running down all the bad choices she's made.

i once watched her fuck a dude in a broom closet

• Like 1

The Leakee reference went over their heads, you could tell. Konnan was pretty much silent throughout the whole NXT topic. At times it felt like Wale was giving answers that had nothing to do with the questions Court was asking him. Not my favorite episode but it's good to hear Konnan and Court together. I feel like they can be unbearable at times on their own (Court's rambling, Konnan's constant interrupting), but when they're on together, they try to put each other on check. I have little interest in the other MLW hosts.