DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Halloween Havoc '89

Wouldn't recommend this show very much. The Thunderdome is fine in highlight form, but drags on in full. The goofiness of THE ROAD WARRIORS LOSING VIA USING A GIANT GOLDEN KEY just killed things for me. Well, further killed, because the opener and the Tommy Rich-Cuban Assassin matches were dreadful. The Dudes-Freebirds match was easily the highlight of the show, with Pillman-Luger in second place. Terry Funk with abs doing the splits was something else.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/nwawcw-halloween-havoc-1989.html

Screens -

3ca678313256774.jpg

5a6d37313256779.jpg

2737f2313256807.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/srqxls5ygylrk4e1we3gjudk4lkpdcf5

I had a chance to go to this show when I was 9 and missed out on it. :( I love how my hometown turned on the Dynamic Dudes, they were all like, "Get this gay ass shit out of here!" :D

The same thing happened at the Great American Bash a few months earlier when the Dudes wrestled the Skyscrapers.  All the crowd wanted to see was Sid beat the shit out of them.

Watching the ECW TV #37 (only found through that Wiki site apparently) and just a crazy insane show:

1.  They are hyping this Lights Out battle royal for Holiday hell 93.  Apparently the lights were going out in the building (whether intentional or not I don't know) and every time it did it just turned into this brawl with chair shots for absolutely everyone.   The last 7 minutes is just everything swinging unprotected steel chairs at each other.   Chad Austin is getting murdered in this one.   and after all of this crap, Jason gets the mic and does his "How do you like my suit" line which is so out of place.   :lol: .   Apparently the winner of the battle royal that was doing to be in the dark got a turkey stuffed with 10 $100 bills.   

2.  Great build up to the Terry Funk vs Sabu match with Funk and Heyman screaming at each other and for some reason Funk wanted everyone to fight him with their shirts off.   Also features Heyman doing a version of Silent Night bashing Funk which was great.  

3.  Promoting the infamous "Body Count match" which was supposed to be Public Enemy vs Badd Company in an exploding cage match that was so awful and screwed up it was never seen or talked about again.

Might be one of my favorite Eastern Championship TV shows that I have seen

http://network.wwe.com/video/v31291081

Watching an episode of hardcore TV. There's one of those cheesy "sexy" videos they'd bust out from time to time. Peaches is the focus. In much of the vid, she's posing in front of a Geo Tracker. Dunno why, but I thought it was hilarious.

The Sabu/Pat Tanaka match from the same show is pretty fun.

Halloween Havoc '89

Wouldn't recommend this show very much. The Thunderdome is fine in highlight form, but drags on in full. The goofiness of THE ROAD WARRIORS LOSING VIA USING A GIANT GOLDEN KEY just killed things for me. Well, further killed, because the opener and the Tommy Rich-Cuban Assassin matches were dreadful. The Dudes-Freebirds match was easily the highlight of the show, with Pillman-Luger in second place. Terry Funk with abs doing the splits was something else.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/03/nwawcw-halloween-havoc-1989.html

Screens -

3ca678313256774.jpg

5a6d37313256779.jpg

2737f2313256807.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/srqxls5ygylrk4e1we3gjudk4lkpdcf5

I had a chance to go to this show when I was 9 and missed out on it. :( I love how my hometown turned on the Dynamic Dudes, they were all like, "Get this gay ass shit out of here!" :D

Their evisceration of the Dudes was amazing. It was the Cena reaction before such a thing existed.

You expect more out of Perfect and Luger but it was okay for what it was.

I saw a shoot with Luger - who looks like a Charlies Atlas ad in reverse - where he said Curt planned out the whole match and told him he'd call the entire thing, then forgot the entire script as soon as they stepped in the ring. Luger insisted it wasn't a rib so that may have been why the match was oddly underwhelming.

Watching an episode of hardcore TV. There's one of those cheesy "sexy" videos they'd bust out from time to time. Peaches is the focus. In much of the vid, she's posing in front of a Geo Tracker. Dunno why, but I thought it was hilarious.

I think that episode aired last night after the Rock documentary on the live stream. I was nodding off at that point but I caught this "sexy" lady posing "provocatively" and marrying Sandman(?) and couldn't for the life of me figure out who it was. Thanks for clearing that up.

I could've sworn part of Sandman's match was in black and white, too, but that might've been the NyQuil.

Watching IYH Final Four, and I saw the best spot ever in the Nation vs. Goldust, Bart Gunn, Flash Funk. All three heels are outside, and Bart helps Flash with an assist on a dive...only to have the Nation catch Flash and beat him down. What a fail, baby faces, what a fail

I'm watching Wrestlewar '90. It's interesting to note that when the Freebirds came out, Badstreet was dubbed with the worst song ever, but when Pillman and Z Man have a mid match parody dance break, they actually play Badstreet.

The Rock and Roll v. Midnight Express match on here is awesome.

Watching great American bash 1988, Ronnie Garvin for some reason absolutely lays out dusty and Jim Ross went absolutely nuts...good ole Jr lol

There was an angle on the TV shows the next week that Dillon paid Garvin and Gary Hart lots of money to lay out Dusty with the punch.  A great promo with Garvin rubbing himself in the money.  

Unfortunately I don't remember anything about a Garvin/Dusty feud in 88

Vader/HBK, Summerslam '96.

Fun match. Both men were near the peak of their powers, and Shawn wasn't at all afraid to work more of a Vader match than a typical HBK match, with both guys whacking the bejeezus out of each other with every strike. I always preferred Bret, but looking back, HBK was much less of a format worker than Bret. And Vader remains one of my all time favorite wrestlers, even though he was a strange fit in New Generation era WWF.

I will say, uber babyface Leader Of The New Generation, boyhood dream Shawn was utterly obnoxious.

The Royal Rumble match from '93 was great up until the last 3 (Yokozuna, Bob Backlund, and Randy Savage).  The end was just screwy with Savage propelling off of Yok and being eliminated.  I was digging the Bob Backlund coming in at #1 and surviving the odds.  I was hoping for a Backlund -Yoko Final 2

Wrestlemania 6, during the intros for Savage/Sherri vs. Rhodes/Sapphire, Ventura blows a gasket when Finkle announces Dusty and Sapphire at a combined 465 lbs.  

Ventura was awesome.

• Like 2

Watching great American bash 1988, Ronnie Garvin for some reason absolutely lays out dusty and Jim Ross went absolutely nuts...good ole Jr lol

There was an angle on the TV shows the next week that Dillon paid Garvin and Gary Hart lots of money to lay out Dusty with the punch.  A great promo with Garvin rubbing himself in the money.  

Unfortunately I don't remember anything about a Garvin/Dusty feud in 88

According to Garvin, Dusty wanted to go over Garvin and pretty much everyone in Hart's stable. Garvin thought it was ludicrous b/c he'd stood toe to toe with the Horsemen and all of a sudden he'd be booked to put over Dusty every week. That's when he left for Puerto Rico and the AWA before showing up to the WWF. I remember Dusty did an interview after Garvin left saying that he beat Garvin up in a bar and ran him out of the NWA to explain Garvin's absence.

Checking out DVDVR hero CHECKMATE for the first time. He's tagging with The Magic Dragon, the protege of childhood hero The Great Kabuke. Taking on Bugsy McGraw and someone else.

I'm guessing The Magic Dragon name is a wink-wink at the dude's outside-the-ring interests. It's a cool nickname either way.

• Like 1

I just saw a vignette for the Smoking Gunns' debut on a '93 RAW. I now really want Billy Gunn to grow that questionable mustache back. The dude looked like LaBeouf from True Grit. It was fantastic. 

Checking out DVDVR hero CHECKMATE for the first time. He's tagging with The Magic Dragon, the protege of childhood hero The Great Kabuke. Taking on Bugsy McGraw and someone else.

I'm guessing The Magic Dragon name is a wink-wink at the dude's outside-the-ring interests. It's a cool nickname either way.

I'd never watched Bugsy before but I'd always heard my grandma and aunt talk about him b/c he was one of their favorites. He's great. Kind of like a cross b/t Boogie Woogie Man and Rick Steiner as he jives around but also does manchild antics. And Checkmate is the shit. Guy could work and it's such an awesome name.