DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I love...LOVE early era WCW PPVs.

Rewatching Bash 90.

Jim Ross and Bob Caudle is one of the greatest (and underrated) broadcast duos ever. Sooo good. JR was on fire during this show.

The Midnights vs. Southern Boys still holds up. One of the best tag matches I've ever seen on PPV.

Dutch Mantell vs. Doug Furnas was pretty good at taking a green guy by the hand and walking him through a match...even though they repeated that slap spot in the corner three times in a row.

Why was Harley Race going over in 1990?

Mike Rotunda was seemingly pissed at Iron Sheik post match.

Vader was a monster...soooo good.

Mean Mark vs. Luger was better than I remembered...Paul E. was stooging with his phone talking to Maury Povich at ringside.

People legit popped for El Gigante's debut, and pissed when he didn't tag in...they'd have been even more pissed had he tagged in.

BAH GAWD, was Sid ever over in Baltimore.

Doom's jazz entrance is still spectacular.

The main event had a real 'change of the guard' feel to it. Flair did everything to pass the torch to the Stinger.

I'm starting with Slamboree '97, which I think was the last PPV from the original Charlotte Coliseum.  Based on my memory of being there live, I always thought it was an underrated PPV, with a good Regal-Ultimate Dragon match, Malenko-Jarrett (I remember Jarrett, a Horseman, getting booed, in Charlotte, on a night when Flair was a face in the main event), Mongo-Reggie White, and Hall, Nash, & Syxx vs. Flair, Piper, and Kevin Green.  Waltman talked about this match on Austin's podcast when he said everyone thought they were going to go over on Flair and company, only to all get beat simultaneously to end the match..

I think I'll follow it up with SummerSlam 2000 and Survivor Series 2001 as other PPVs I've attended.

I guess I never realized just how much bell ringing used to go on back in the day. Sometimes non-stop during a brawl, sometimes for no reason at all like when Fink/Martin announced the main event of Mania 1.

I love...LOVE early era WCW PPVs.

Rewatching Bash 90.

What's with the wrester's names not showing up on the intro graphics? Was that something that happened on the original broadcast or was it edited out for some reason?

Edit: It's not all of them, just some. I'm just gonna chalk it up to WCW being WCW.

I guess I never realized just how much bell ringing used to go on back in the day. Sometimes non-stop during a brawl, sometimes for no reason at all like when Fink/Martin announced the main event of Mania 1.

The Classic is from the Rosemont Horizon ond oh my God their timekeeper loves that bell. Like 3-4 rings everytime it is rang. And when Piper and Orton beat down Hogan it is TNA levels of bell rings.

Caught Tatanka and the Nasty Boys vs Michaels and the Beverlys on stream  while I got ready this AM. Most obnoxious things were the RAW slogan of "Uncut...Uncensored...and Uncooked" (which Vince FORGETS when it's his turn to say) and the constant shoehorning of the term "Un-be-leiveable" which was the company tag line at the time. Well, that and Rob Bartlett but why beat a dead horse.

Yeah, you sent me a link to it years ago. You know, before you started only sending me really bad 70's Beatles "tributes."

Beatles Tribute Band would be an amazing gimmick. Did anyone do that in the 60s, I wonder? Obviously we have a bunch of elvises. 

I turn on the stream during a lunch break to see a random Attitude-Era RAW where Dan Severn comes out to face Owen Hart, which of course immediately justifies any and all money that I have spent, am spending, or will spend in the future on this service.

I really enjoyed Severn in his short WWF run. He was a good striker and a very good mat wrestler. 

I am conflicted about this Attitude-Era crowd, however. They chant and are active, and they do politely applaud for Severn during a worked-injury angle. On the other hand, all the middle fingers. loud cursing at wrestlers coming down the aisle, and creepy signs about wanting to plow Divas are not a good look. 

EDIT: Then Vader comes out to wrestle Al Snow, and the reaction and chants for Snow/Head have just reminded me of the days when people actually cared about midcard wrestlers, which I miss quite a bit. There are so many midcard guys nowadays that people don't really care about as much as they could if those wrestlers were packaged correctly (Big E comes immediately to mind). 

Watching Hardcore Heaven 97, I had no idea Violent J of ICP had dirty white guy dreads at one point, Ive only ever seen him with his bleached spiked hair. Funny how they were brought in to perform before the PPV and Instead they were attacked by RVD and Sabu.

Watching Capital Combat '90 for a PPV discussion thread on another forum.

So far, it's bleh.

Six Man Tag with the Road Warriors teaming up with Norman The Lunatic to take on Sullivan, Cactus Jack and Bigelow. Even in 1990, Cactus Jack takes about five crazy bumps.. 

Johnny Ace (in his final televised WCW match) vs a very young Mean (Undertaker) Mark That the crowd gives no shits for.

I watched this at lunch (Sorry Rippa but I love Robocop!) and thought it was a really good show. In fact, it was gratifying to see WCW's habit of putting on great undercards and shit main events didn't begin with the NWO era as I thought the opening six man man was great as was the Midnights-Pillman/Zenk US tag match. I also forgot how much I loved the Steiners-Doom feud. One of the great underrated feuds.

And it was a hoot seeing Sting tower over Robocop.

I have a weird fascination with Norman the Lunatic. Still my #1 All-Time favorite forgotten gimmick and my go to answer for "if I was hired to book WWE tomorrow, what old gimmick would you resurrect to get a young guy over.?" The GIANT KEY rules.

About Taker/Mean Mark, what was funny was during the match JR was trying to give him personality by saying "He has pet snakes and is a huge fan of Ozzy Osborne." I literally thought to myself, "Gee, maybe he'd be good as some dark, foreboding type character instead of just throwing him out there as Generic Big Guy #4, you dumbasses."

You can just picture Callaway telling the exact same thing to Vince during their meeting and his eyes lighting up and going, "You'll be our Prince of Darkness!"

Kevin Sullivan & Mark Lewin beat Johnny Weaver & McGhee, Scott goes nuts after and attacks everyone including Gary Hart.  Sullivan attacks Scott with a blade (you literally see Kevin run the blade across his forehead) and Scott taps a gusher.  Angelo Mosca makes the save and carries him out of the ring as if he were a teenage girl.  At that point the bleeding had stopped, and it didn't look so bad.  So when they go back to the dressing room for reaction, they clearly had BLADED him AGAIN to get a better effect, so Mosca is ranting about his son while Scott lays there half dead in a pool of blood.  Schiavonne then ignores McGhee's lifeless body (who clearly needs medical attention) and asks Mosca who's going to win the Flair-Race match.

I read this and went "damn I want to see that." And then I realized I could. So I did and it was good.

Watching Heatwave '98 and I have to say, Francine and Shane Douglas may be wrestling's best combination of guy who isn't all that good looking with the really hot wife that he basically parades around like his personal whore for all his friends, making everyone but the husband and wife extremely uncomfortable.  I'm surprised she didn't get a run in the WWE, but then again she may not hold up very well with good lighting and/or HD. 

Justin Credible and Jerry Lynn are two guys who couldn't get over anywhere but ECW.  Justin Credible, because he sucks, and Jerry Lynn because he has the charisma of a soggy bath mat.  Credible, who is about as bland as the back end piece of a loaf of Wonder bread is surrounded by Jason, who I forgot existed, Nicole Bass, who I wish I forgot existed, and Chastity, who I don't think I ever knew existed.  This was a fun little match, thanks mostly to Jerry Lynn, but Justin Credible gets the win.

Shane Douglas is pretty good on commentary, he had to be a HUGE pain in the ass in order to never get a commentary job.

Next up Lance Storm and Chris Candido...with Sunny, who I have to admit was absolutely gorgeous here...uh oh, she is slurring her speech.  Lance Storm, who wasn't exactly a ball of charisma, looks like Eddie Murphy in 1985 compared to Jerry Lynn and Justin Credible.  As good as Jerry Lynn was, he really came off as generic wrestler no.23.  Lance's ring work was really crisp, and his springboards, drop kicks, and spin wheel kicks were stellar.  I don't know if Tammy chugged a six pack before coming to the ring, but she looks like she is about to pass out on the way back to the locker room.  Candido gets the win, and watching this match made me sad about how apparent it was that Tammy was a train wreck and Candido just wasn't strong enough to keep up with her. 

New Jack was sreaming and cursing in the parking lot...some brawling happened, and I don't care.

Awesome and Tanaka...business is picking up.  Awesome's mullet would have been ridiculous in 1988, but in 1998 he should have been ashamed of his damn self.  Near death #1 Mike Awesome's over the top rope tope.  Unprotected chairshot #1 Tanaka runs down the entire ramp to hit Awesome in the head.  Second match in a row with a springboard plancha into the crowd.  Unprotected chairshot's #2-4 Awesome hits Tanaka with three of the nastiest chair shots I've ever seen.  Uh-oh, Awesome is adjusting a ringside table.  Unprotected chairshot #5 top rope chairshot from Awesome to Tanaka.  Near death #2 Tanaka powerbombs Awesome and he lands directly on his head and neck.  The fact that he could still walk after that is amazing, but not only is he not dead he kicked out of the pin.  The chair that Awesome hit Tanaka with looks like it was ran over by a 18-wheeler, Tanaka tornado DDTs him on it.  This was a spot-fest, but a good one.  Tanaka probably has a concussion, Awesome probably has a broken neck, but I can't even lie that was really fun to watch. 

I don't think I have time to watch the rest of this before NXT Arrival, so I'll pick it up later.

• Like 2