DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I just watched Rumble 03. I wanted to see the legendarily bad HHH vs Scott Steiner match with all the suplexes. It wasn't that bad, and there weren't that many suplexes. Lesnar did nearly as many overhead Belly to Bellies on Big Show in the opener, and the Smackdown title match had two or three of them as well. Speaking of which, that match wasn't listed on them chapter breakdowns you get, where you can skip to the action (which presumably means you can't search for it either). You'd think they would just list it as Kurt Angle title defence, but they don't. It's 30 minutes of dead air according to the listings.

The Rumble match was interesting, because the roster was halfway through a transition, so you had all these attitude era guys hanging on, and also loads of the-new up and comers who went on to be something but weren't established at the time. And some guys who you'd forgot they ever wrestled. There was this one fella who looked like the lovechild of Billy Gunn and Jack Swagger, and I had no idea who it was.

It was Chris Nowinski.

Anyone want to recommend me some Lex Luger matches?  Last night, I watched two Barry Windham/Luger matches (one from the 80's and the other was in 91 for the vacant belt) and Luger/Tatanka from KOTR 93 but I need other stuff.  I know there is a ton of Flair matches but I'm hesitant to watch anything that is super long since I don't have the time, and I believe that at least one of them goes 60 minutes.  I'm considering GAB 88 to start with but I don't know the match time for it.

His match with Steamboat at GAB '89 never dips below 100 mph and it's a lot of fun. Blew me away that it was the same guy mailing it in 9-10 years later. I think my favourite Luger memory (considering I'm Canadian, so no NWA, and was too young for his peak stuff prior to The Narcissist) was the ending of WW3 '96. He was so over, the finish was so perfectly planned out, it made Luger look like Super Man but was your typical southern booking in that the babyface isn't quite Super Man. And the commentary was off the hook. 

• Like 1

GAB 88 is a favorite of mine, Flair/Luger goes about 23 minutes. The Starrcade rematch that year goes 30 and then WrestleWar 90 goes closer to 40.

I'd recommend Luger/Hayes from WrestleWar 89 which is around 15 mins and a similar length Luger/Pillman match from Halloween Havoc 89 being really good. The aforementioned Luger/Steamboat for sure as well. There's also Luger & Sting vs The Steiners from SuperBrawl 1 that is often highly praised and a little over 10 minutes like the Steamboat match. I personally always enjoy Luger/Yoko from SummerSlam 93, especially closing with the epic Luger video package where even though the Network replaced "I'll Be Your Hero" is still great.

• Like 1

I would watch the SS 93 match but I recall watching that a few months ago and don't want to go back to it yet.  Tomorrow, the first thing I'm going to catch is that Steamboat match and then the others.  I did catch the two Hansen/Luger matches from 1990 and I enjoyed the first but the second seemed flat.  I also tried to watch Bret/Luger from 99 but I couldn't get into it.

. Speaking of which, that match wasn't listed on them chapter breakdowns you get, where you can skip to the action (which presumably means you can't search for it either). You'd think they would just list it as Kurt Angle title defence, but they don't. It's 30 minutes of dead air according to the listings.

They do that with every Benoit match. It just comes up as a huge blank space in the listings. Even the Rumbles he's in.

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 90

The Rougeaus, like the Islanders, were good enough to be WWF tag team champions but were just surrounded by too many other good teams. They always delivered, whether they were trading moves with the Bulldogs or bumping around for the Bushwhackers, whom they put over for the second time on pay-per-view here.

I didn't like Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect revealing that they had No. 1 and No. 30, respectively. Seeing DiBiase walk out first after the previous year's shenanigans would have been a great surprise.

Brother Love's segment with Sensational Sherri and Sapphire was awful, but Savage and Dusty saved the it with their brawl.

Greg Valentine's submission match against Ron Garvin was a lost classic. They just beat the snot out of each other, capping off a feud that began before SummerSlam 89. The only thing that could have made it better was if it was for a championship. It had the intensity of a title match.

The Royal Rumble had a lot of star power with big eliminations: Dusty tosses Savage! Earthquake tosses Dusty! Bravo was hilarious trying to save Quake from getting rolled out because there were too many guys in his way. DiBiase was the early "longevity champion," lasting until No. 24 before Warrior unceremoniously clobbered him out of the ring with a clothesline.

Hulk Hogan gets the MVP trophy for the first PPV of the 90s after winning none in the 80s. Even though Warrior saved him from Rude and Barbarian, he didn't return the favor because it's every man for himself, darn it. He tossed out a fresh Mr. Perfect to become the only reigning champion to win the Royal Rumble.

Finally, someone on this board rightfully gave Hogan static from taking pro-Hogan signs from fans, displaying them, and then tossing them like garbage. After winning the Rumble, Hogan showed off a bedsheet sign that read "Hulkamania will live forever," then FOLDED IT BACK UP and returned it to its owner.

I watched the first Tough Enough. Taz was making fun of someone for being goofy enough to audition doing a Wolfman gimmick. Then the guy Howled and Taz was all "Howling? Really? Does this idiot really think he's going to be the Wolfman in the World Wrestling Federation, howling?"

He tries to convincingly mark out when Davey Richards Howls on Impact now. He fails, but he does try.

Summerslam 95 had no chapter breaks when I looked earlier. I wanted to watch Hogan/ Michaels. For some reason, I'm seeking out famously bad matches in the network archive (like Steiner HHH earlier)... I think it's the thing of, with a famously good match from 10+ years ago, I'd have bought the DVD to see it at some point. Whereas with a famously bad match, I'd want to watch it to see how bad it was, but I wouldn't want to pay money to see it.

What show is the Kennel from Hell on?