DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

You know what makes a shitty day (jacked my back shoveling snow) a little better? Fuji Vice.

I actually remember finding PTW really dull as it aired (I would have been like...8 when this aired), but now I'd be content if they stopped uploading Raws to concentrate on a full run of this!

• Like 1

I asked my dad if I was into Ahmed when I was a kid and he said we just took the piss out of him the whole time. So I guess I just wasn't seeing what you guys were seeing back then.

I didn't like him because he looked like some kind of bondage/fetish wrestler; especially with how oily his body and how tight his gear was. Then he'd do these aggressively sexual poses with his tongue sticking out in a provocative manner. The Goldust stuff was pretty great though.

Watching WM6 and realizing 1/3 of the workers on the show are dead now.  Also Elizabeth and both Morellas.

Oh man, sometime that realization just sneaks up on you from out of nowhere.  I remember watching an All Japan tag match with Bam Bam Bigelow and Davy Boy Smith vs. Williams & Gordy and halfway through I realized everyone in it was dead.  It did dampen my enthusiasm for the rest of the match.

Ahmed Johnson yelling unintelligibly worked for me because he was so legitimately intense about it that even if I couldn't understand him, I fully sensed the rage in his speaking.

Plus he did random big boots and power moves and the Pearl River Plunge was sweet, too. Ahmed was like black Sid in some ways. 

• Like 2

Watching some 2000 WWF, I'm just stuck on how fucking over Rikishi was. Like "should have had a brief title run" over.

I remember his debut in the gimmick on Smackdown, he basically just emotionlessly destroyed a jobber and I remember thinking "Wow this might be worse than the Sultan". Cut to three months later, he gets drawn to face HHH for the title and the crowd is fucking rabid for him. If they could've kept his gimmick from being all about the "stinkface" they could've really had something. All things considered though a hell of a run for a guy who before was usually the better part of whatever tag team he was in.

Watching some Rumble matches from a few years ago.  Cena's return in '08 was great.  The crowd loved him then quickly realized they were supposed to boo him.  I laughed so hard at that.

Also can't help but notice how much they factored Punk into the '10 and '11 matches.  In '10 he's doing the SES deal and every he chance he had is talking about it.  Then HHH comes out and that's it.  Kind of weird considering what went on to see them in a heated faceoff.

And 2011 had Punk and Bryan out there to start.  Toss out a couple guys, and you get Regal in there trading uppercuts with Daniel.  Before WWE realized it's okay to give a shoutout to ROH they definitely knew who this was going to appeal to.  I remember getting goosebumps seeing all this play out.

Royal Rumble can be pretty fucking awesome, guys.

Watching some 2000 WWF, I'm just stuck on how fucking over Rikishi was. Like "should have had a brief title run" over.

To me, his coming out party was when he and Too Cool ran in and added themselves to the 10 man tag match while tagging with Cactus and The Rock against The Radicalz, X-Pac, and Triple H. That match is easily in my Top 5 favorite matches of all time.

Watching some Rumble matches from a few years ago.  Cena's return in '08 was great.  The crowd loved him then quickly realized they were supposed to boo him.  I laughed so hard at that.

Also can't help but notice how much they factored Punk into the '10 and '11 matches.  In '10 he's doing the SES deal and every he chance he had is talking about it.  Then HHH comes out and that's it.  Kind of weird considering what went on to see them in a heated faceoff.

And 2011 had Punk and Bryan out there to start.  Toss out a couple guys, and you get Regal in there trading uppercuts with Daniel.  Before WWE realized it's okay to give a shoutout to ROH they definitely knew who this was going to appeal to.  I remember getting goosebumps seeing all this play out.

Royal Rumble can be pretty fucking awesome, guys.

It can be. It wasn't tonight outside of Rowan, Bray, and Harper briefly going at it. 

And then the WWF fucked it all up by turning him heel. 

Rikishi as a heel still might have worked if Austin didn't completely destroy him at No Mercy.  That wasn't WWF, that was Austin.

BTW, a ton of TNTs have been uploaded including the infamous Butcher Vachon wedding and the show dedicated to the jobbers.