DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I think its the evolution of the genre in general. Everything is so scripted and over produced so it takes longer.

I don't think it has anything to do with things being over-scripted, but rather the thinking that EVERYTHING must be shown and the majority of what is shown should be done in the ring. Again, I don't want to de-rail the thread, but I think it would be smart of AAA and TNA to start shooting their shows like MNN. Two 45 minutes blocks of wrestling. 8 matches in total. 2 interviews. 2 of the matches should be feature contests (Sabu/Wright) and the other two should be main events (Luger/Hogan). It won't burn out the crowd nor the TV viewer as there will be less fluff.

So I just finished episode 3 of Monday Night Wars and... was that it? That episode certainly felt like a finale, and if so, what a colossal waste. There was so much potential in the first episode, I was chomping at the bit for an in-depth analysis breaking down different eras of the wars, showing more of the episodes side by side, comparisons of the different stables and angles. Instead each subsequent episode has been more broad and rushed through more and more content without covering much of anything interesting. The most notable thing is Undertaker appearing at the end as a talking head for the first time I've ever seen in a WWE feature such as this. And then what, are they going to rewind back to different weeks and show things from different perspectives? Or was this much hyped must-see Network feature really just another glorified DVD documentary without any of the special features?

So I just finished episode 3 of Monday Night Wars and... was that it? That episode certainly felt like a finale, and if so, what a colossal waste. There was so much potential in the first episode, I was chomping at the bit for an in-depth analysis breaking down different eras of the wars, showing more of the episodes side by side, comparisons of the different stables and angles. Instead each subsequent episode has been more broad and rushed through more and more content without covering much of anything interesting. The most notable thing is Undertaker appearing at the end as a talking head for the first time I've ever seen in a WWE feature such as this. And then what, are they going to rewind back to different weeks and show things from different perspectives? Or was this much hyped must-see Network feature really just another glorified DVD documentary without any of the special features?

From what I heard from a guy who knows a guy (wish I was kidding) the remaining episodes are going to be focused on certain figures and angles-- for example, an Austin/McMahon centric episode, a DX centric episode, a Hogan/Sting centric episode, etc.

Been going through the Hardcore TVs in order, which is really cool for me because I missed out on ECW when it happened. It's giving me a new appreciation for Tommy Dreamer, seeing him actually get built up, and you get a good dose of Paul E. each week, which is awesome.

I'm also jumping on the WCW train with Nitro, watching in order and supplying the proper Clash/PPV at the proper time. I love that The Network has let me binge watch wrestling just like Netflix lets me binge watch shows. It's the greatest thing ever for background noise/motion when I'm writing or doing something else.

EDIT: Don't want to double-post, but Fall Brawl '95 had a pretty awesome Pillman/Badd match. Probably not a surprise to you guys, who watch way more wrestling than I do, but I really enjoyed it.

I made a terrible mistake looking up the original opener to Hardcore TV and SNME.  Now I can't see either one without "Closer/Thunderkiss '65" or "Obsession".  I'd so be up for a Kicstarter to get the rights to these songs established.  I don't necessarily mind what they use, but it's so not the same.

• Like 2

Watching 1994 ECW, and man I'm liking how things are shaping up.  You know it's going to get much better soon (at July now) and I'm enjoying the ride.  Going back to the theme, I also checked out the original episode on Dailymotion.  Seeing what songs were originally used it's easy to see why people were mega into.  The music videos, the open, it all just added that extra something.  If I saw this late at night with the music and action I'd be a hardcore fan too.  It's amazing seeing the same episode on the Network and the original version how different it can be.  I am saddened that this never came on where I was at in '94, but if it did then I'd be pissing off my parents watching this.  Plus, watching the original versions I'm much more able to get sucked in and not watch it with "2014 eyes" (nostalgia feel) and instead enjoy it as it is.

I also liked Jason and him managing Curtis Hughes and the Pitbulls.  I got a kick out of him.  Seeing the music video with him and Hughes done to "Ruffneck" was very cool to see.  Great mix of at the time current music and how it fits them.  Wondered what happened to him and turns out Jason Knight trained Velvet Sky.  Not sure how good a wrestler he was, but if he wasn't that good then that might explain Velvet's lack of wrestling skills.  Learn something new everyday, man.

Watching 1994 ECW, and man I'm liking how things are shaping up.  You know it's going to get much better soon (at July now) and I'm enjoying the ride.  Going back to the theme, I also checked out the original episode on Dailymotion.  Seeing what songs were originally used it's easy to see why people were mega into.  The music videos, the open, it all just added that extra something.  If I saw this late at night with the music and action I'd be a hardcore fan too.  It's amazing seeing the same episode on the Network and the original version how different it can be.  I am saddened that this never came on where I was at in '94, but if it did then I'd be pissing off my parents watching this.  Plus, watching the original versions I'm much more able to get sucked in and not watch it with "2014 eyes" (nostalgia feel) and instead enjoy it as it is.

I also liked Jason and him managing Curtis Hughes and the Pitbulls.  I got a kick out of him.  Seeing the music video with him and Hughes done to "Ruffneck" was very cool to see.  Great mix of at the time current music and how it fits them.  Wondered what happened to him and turns out Jason Knight trained Velvet Sky.  Not sure how good a wrestler he was, but if he wasn't that good then that might explain Velvet's lack of wrestling skills.  Learn something new everyday, man.

IIRC, for most of his ECW tenure, Jason mostly wrestled like a manager would wrestle so it might tough to gauge how good he actually was. Kinda like how JJ Dillon and Bobby Heenan were perfectly decent workers in their day but once they switched to managing, they worked like how an untrained guy would. I think Jason wrestled a normal style at the beginning of his ECW career and did some job duty in the WWF but I can't remember if he was actually any good or not.

No I believe Jason was always a jobber in WWE and WCW.  The whole storyline with Mikey Whipreck was that Jason was in the business for 4 or 5 years and never did anything while Mikey was a rookie and winning titles albeit in a completely flukey way and it made him jealous

Speaking of that time people, wonder what ever happened to the Paul Lauria. He was a solid 1995 cruiserweight in his feud with Mikey

Survivor Series 92.

Nailz was robbed. He cuts a pretty decent face promo about being wrongfully accused here, then the Boss Man cuts a dickish promo about him serving his time but should have served a life sentence for crimes he doesn't go into any detail about.

Bossman gets the stick first, Nailz doesn't back off, he takes it from him fairly, wails on him, loses it, gets pinned, and then Bossman acts like an even bigger dick and beats him down with it after the match.

I wanted a wrongfully accused face turn, but no, Vince McMahon had to go and molest him. Missed opportunity.

• Like 1

Dumping on the WWF was great. They deserved it at the time.

It made things fun.

Yeah but, Bischoff came off so douchey that I found it fucking annoying. I'd switch to RAW to see what kinds of crazy shit Vince would throw against the wall to compete. Especially when the NWO hit big. Shit like Cornette's Corner, the ECW stuff and the NWA "invasion" was fascinating to see on WWF TV.

Clash XV, Knocksville USA: towards the end of the Steiners-Hase/Chono match when the Hardliners run in, the original feed disappears and is replaced with somebody's VHS copy. Speculate: what happened to the original feed here and where did the WWE steal their VHS copy from?

Watching the Mick Foley part of the Monday Night Wars and it was pretty good.  You can tell that they should made these 45 minutes show because there is at least 3 times where they showed a video or an interview that was an exact repeat of previous shows.

The other thing that is funny is the constant Kevin Sullivan moment where he tells us the when they knew WCW was in trouble.  In this one it was the bump off the cage at Hell in the Cell.   Pretty sure WCW was starting that downward spiral long before the summer of 1998.   At this rate I am expecting for Kevin to tell us in episode 15 to "When Sable starting showing her tits we knew WCW was in trouble" or "When Beaver Cleavage debuted on RAW we knew WCW was in trouble"    :lol: