DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

The Lawler/Doink feud in 1994 was the pits, but the crowd in San Antonio was eating up the four-on-four Doink/clown little people vs. Jerry/royalty little people match during Survivor Series at various points. 

Mabel and Bob Backlund were the stars of 1994's Survivor Series, now that I've finished it. I haven't watched it in years (since the days of VHS), but Mabel doing a Cactus clothesline, a second-rope cross-body splash, and taking a press slam off the top rope are all basically insane. When he went out of the Guts and Glory/Money Inc. match, everything got pretty lame. 

Also, Bob Backlund's infamous "I FEEL LIKE GOD" promo is on this. It's a top-ten promo in the history of promo watching for me. 

Watching the SNMEs as well.

I've always seen Greg Valentine as that credible lower card technician guy. Never really thought about how he had a fairly decent run against Hogan prior to the big Piper angle, and that he was a top card guy for so long both in New York and the NWA.

Don't get it. At all. No charisma. His matches weren't *that* good, wasn't a big guy by any stretch. Don't see what his appeal was to be that high up the card.

Greg Valentine's appeal was that he was a fucking awesome wrestler who could generate nuclear heat .
  • Like 1

I've never been a fan of Greg Valentine. if I were ever to draw up a list of wrestlers I couldn't care about, he'd be on it. True story: when I was young, I even passed on the opportunity of buying his Hasbro figure at an age where I was obsessed with them. 

He and Windham were a fun tag team and had a great mini-feud with the Midnights during the period when Dennis left and Stan arrived. The fireball on Garvin, the resulting Jimmy turn and backstage segment and the series of matches that followed were good. Didn't care for him as a top of the card type guy but he was a solid midcarder. I really didn't like Valentine and Garvin's matches with each other but it's been years since I've watched them. They seem too similar stylistically to have a good match.

With Summerslam tonight I saw the first one in '88.  Good show, dug the matches.  Really enjoyed the Mega Powers/Mega Bucks match, even if it was more entertainment than anything.  Ventura was enforcing shit most of the time, yet didn't care to count out Hogan and Savage near the end.  Everybody just stood around until Elizabeth took off her skirt.  But it was overall fun.  I never picked up on it as a kid, but the seeds for Wrestlemania 5 were planted when Hogan hugged Elizabeth.  Savage with the "WTF are you doing?!" look was so goddamn great.  It was subtle enough to not pay much attention to it, but mattered when the Mega Powers broke up.  I really need to watch how this feud unfolded.  The SNME shows plus the PPVs should help in following along.

Bless this darn network.  Seeing shit from my childhood with adult eyes, picking up on what I didn't notice before is awesome.

• Like 1

Decided to randomly watch the Junkyard Invitational. Outside of getting to watch a bunch of guys kill each other in the dark, the only other highlights for me were the Blue Bloods' battle gear. Which consisted of Regal in a soccer jersey/pair of warmup pants and Taylor in a polo/pair of trousers.

On Episode 89 of RAW, Lawler comes out for The King's Court and starts insulting the crowd. Lawler says to a woman in the audience, "Look at this girl. You look like you fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

The camera cuts to the woman just in time to show her, utterly pissed off, mouth clearly and distinctly "YOU CAN JUST GO FUCK YOURSELF, DUDE."

I laughed so much.

• Like 2

On Episode 89 of RAW, Lawler comes out for The King's Court and starts insulting the crowd. Lawler says to a woman in the audience, "Look at this girl. You look like you fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."

The camera cuts to the woman just in time to show her, utterly pissed off, mouth clearly and distinctly "YOU CAN JUST GO FUCK YOURSELF, DUDE."

I laughed so much.

That reminds me of the TRL where they decided to have a segment of Redman and Method Man going into the crowd shooting the dozens on random audience members.  They weren't even that mean spirited, but one teenage girl looked like she was going to cry so bad that I'm sure that everyone who thought it was a good idea got fired.  It was probably the most uncomfortable segment of television I've ever watched.

I laughed so much.

That reminds me of the TRL where they decided to have a segment of Redman and Method Man going into the crowd shooting the dozens on random audience members.  They weren't even that mean spirited, but one teenage girl looked like she was going to cry so bad that I'm sure that everyone who thought it was a good idea got fired.  It was probably the most uncomfortable segment of television I've ever watched.

That's still better than Bubba Ray Dudley asking a pre-teen girl if her mother taught her how to suck a guy off.

Great American Bash '99 -

Good fucking God what a dreadful show overall. You've got Thunder-level matches throughout, goofy bullshit that makes no sense with Flair-Piper, goofier stuff with Sting-Steiner, a good-wish World Tag title match that just refused to end, and a maybe 10 minute Nash-Savage match with no real action. Madusa and Miss Madness worked harder than the guys did, and then SID RETURNED to close the show.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/08/wcw-great-american-bash-1999.html

Screens -

d51367346123481.jpg

f84e08346126267.jpg

df6eb3346127350.jpg

Just watched SummerSlam 93. Didn't know they replaced the classic "I'll Be Your Hero", always loved that.. but actually thought the replacement song was surprisingly very solid for the awesome ending video. Forever my choice for guy who should've been WWE champ.

Great American Bash '99 -

Good fucking God what a dreadful show overall. You've got Thunder-level matches throughout, goofy bullshit that makes no sense with Flair-Piper, goofier stuff with Sting-Steiner, a good-wish World Tag title match that just refused to end, and a maybe 10 minute Nash-Savage match with no real action. Madusa and Miss Madness worked harder than the guys did, and then SID RETURNED to close the show.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/08/wcw-great-american-bash-1999.html

I remember watching this show via less than legal means and even then I felt cheated. The Sting/Steiner thing with Sting being "attacked" by three "vicious" dogs reminded me of Kennel from Hell where the supposedly ferocious pit bulls spent the majority of the match pissing all over the floor. However, if I'm not mistaken, this was the debut of the West Texas Rednecks using "Rap is Crap" so there's that.