DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Robocop ripping the hinges off of a cage in order to free Sting while Ole and Arn Anderson beg off in the aisleway is one of the true goofy joys of watching pro wrestling. 

I really wish the WWE kept the local touches intact like the ramp in Toronto, MSG with the ancient bell and the mic being lowered to the ring, etc.

many moons ago i had a WWF trivia game. i was super excited to play it, but when i did, most of the questions were "which city did THIS happen in?"

from a wrestler's perspective, it makes sense because they're actually IN the cities and remember things accordingly.

but most fans remember WHEN it happened or WHAT SHOW it happened on. Raw looks pretty much the same every week regardless of venue. that's why i will always love WCW "Spring Break Out" Nitros, they broke the monotony.

Watching the Raw after Mania 11...

I know Nakano's totally a ringer in mid-90s WWF but holy fuck, that Nakano/Madusa match. That match was something else particularly in the context of New Generation WWF. Brutally stiff, some ridiculous spots, decent psych and selling. Shame it set up the debut of Bertha Faye but what a frickin' match.

EDITED to correct who was debuting.

They do the wrestler roasts already guys, they're just not WWE ones. There's gonna be a Sheiky roast soon and one of the roasters is Buff Bagwell.

Not fucking with you. Dave reported it.

I went to the first Iron Sheik roast years ago and it was hit and miss. A drunk Scott Hall attacked a comedian and half the panel didn't get what a roast was.

Watching the Raw after Mania 11...

I know Nakano's totally a ringer in mid-90s WWF but holy fuck, that Nakano/Madusa match. That match was something else particularly in the context of New Generation WWF. Brutally stiff, some ridiculous spots, decent psych and selling. Shame it set up the debut of Bertha Faye but what a frickin' match.

EDITED to correct who was debuting.

Hadn't she already been Bertha Faye at that point and was repackaged as Monster Ripper or something like that for this angle?

After getting in a group text about wrestling, I decided to watch a match before bed. I revisited the Michinoku Pro 6-Man Tag from Barely Legal, which I have not watched in probably ten years.

That match has not aged very well. It's still good and a lot of fun, but it's not the classic that I reacted to the first time I saw it.

Decided to work my way through the Clashes and PPVs of 92 WCW tonight. I watched the first Clash of the year (18) and holy shit was the Steiners/Hughes and Vader a lot of fun. They threw Vader and Hughes around like two rag dolls. Can't believe I had never seen this before. Really good show overall though with a lot of variety and never felt like it dragged much. I'm really looking forward to working my way through the rest of 92. I wish the Saturday Nights were up for this though.

After getting in a group text about wrestling, I decided to watch a match before bed. I revisited the Michinoku Pro 6-Man Tag from Barely Legal, which I have not watched in probably ten years.

That match has not aged very well. It's still good and a lot of fun, but it's not the classic that I reacted to the first time I saw it.

I always thought the 6 Man match they had a week earlier that was shown on ECW tv was much better.

• Like 1

I watched WW3 1998 and man, was Kevin Nash lazy. He basically eliminated everyone in his ring in like two minutes and stood in his ring for most of the battle royal. Then when they consolidated the rings, I don't remember him doing anything except a punch exchange with The Giant and then throwing a half-assed big boot to eliminate Luger and Hall at the same time. Hall and The Giant actually worked pretty hard throughout the whole thing.

And there's absolutely no reason Goldberg couldn't have done a squash match with Jericho on this ppv. Jericho had that terrible match with Duncum and Goldberg just did a couple of run-ins.

I watched WW3 1998 and man, was Kevin Nash lazy. He basically eliminated everyone in his ring in like two minutes and stood in his ring for most of the battle royal. Then when they consolidated the rings, I don't remember him doing anything except a punch exchange with The Giant and then throwing a half-assed big boot to eliminate Luger and Hall at the same time. Hall and The Giant actually worked pretty hard throughout the whole thing.

And there's absolutely no reason Goldberg couldn't have done a squash match with Jericho on this ppv. Jericho had that terrible match with Duncum and Goldberg just did a couple of run-ins.

Wasn't it Halloween Havoc where Jericho tried to make it happen and basically booked himself against "fake Goldberg?"

I always thought the 6 Man match they had a week earlier that was shown on ECW tv was much better.

Supposedly the one in Revere the same week was off the charts, but the fans there would shit on everyone who wasn't spraying plasma everywhere and realized right away that they weren't going to get any blood in this match, so they were chanting shit like "egg foo young" at them.

Watching Punk's Wrestlemania Rewind, I do look forward to a motivated Punk returning to the main event scene. He will not be motivated or return for anything less, and I expect there to be a point in time where it happens/will be needed. It may not be for a year or two, but it will be awesome when it happens. There is no alternative for different companies, and I would be expect for Punk to want to write a better ending to his career

Wasn't it Halloween Havoc where Jericho tried to make it happen and basically booked himself against "fake Goldberg?"

That was Fall Brawl. According to Jericho's book, Terry Taylor came up with the idea of him wrestling the midget. Most of that feud seemed to be Jericho and Terry Taylor just coming up with off the wall stuff on their own and then Goldberg getting pissed at people thinking he was a part of a comedy angle or something.

Goldbergs PPV schedule as world champ was pretty ridiculous. Nothing matches against Hennig & Konnan, no matches on a few ppvs and a random battle royale

The battle royal was the dumbest one b/c he was in there with about 4 or 5 potential ppv opponents. Sting, Luger, Hall, Giant come to mind.

Watching Punk's Wrestlemania Rewind, I do look forward to a motivated Punk returning to the main event scene. He will not be motivated or return for anything less, and I expect there to be a point in time where it happens/will be needed. It may not be for a year or two, but it will be awesome when it happens. There is no alternative for different companies, and I would be expect for Punk to want to write a better ending to his career

To be totally honest, I wouldn't be suprised to see Punk take a shot at NJPW.  Couple of his friends (Gallows and Styles) are there.  Jado and Gedo aren't opposed to pushing gajin's very well (see: Styles, Bullet Club). the schedule isn't as hard, and he's got a lot of fresh matchups that he can cut loose in.

I watched the SNME that had Macho vs. Jake in a rare heel vs. heel match. Jesse the Body was in all his glory. He had a great line that I'm surprised he got away with on NBC. Mean Gene was interviewing Jake and Jake was taunting Gene with his snake. The hand Gene was holding the mic with was shaking pretty badly and Jesse goes, "is Okerlund holding a microphone or a vibrator?"

Goldbergs PPV schedule as world champ was pretty ridiculous. Nothing matches against Hennig & Konnan, no matches on a few ppvs and a random battle royale

The battle royal was the dumbest one b/c he was in there with about 4 or 5 potential ppv opponents. Sting, Luger, Hall, Giant come to mind.

If memory serves he was feuding with the Giant anyways. A one on one match made all of the sense in the world.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't be suprised to see Punk take a shot at NJPW.  Couple of his friends (Gallows and Styles) are there.  Jado and Gedo aren't opposed to pushing gajin's very well (see: Styles, Bullet Club). the schedule isn't as hard, and he's got a lot of fresh matchups that he can cut loose in.

I don't see Punk coming back anytime soon. It seems like WWE was unusually understanding and patient with the whole situation and were rebuffed time and time again. I know money talks but how could WWE reasonably put someone who is difficult to deal with and now labeled unreliable in a main event program? I love Punk but at the end of the day the guy may be a bigger mark for himself than Bret Hart.