DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I watched the Vicki special, and the number of fat jokes that made her "top moments" was kind of startling, especially after she had actually lost a decent amount of weight (although I guess I haven't really heard them mentioning the Be A Star campaign in a while).  The worst was when Jerry Lawler and Cena kept making "You're so fat" jokes, but at least that had CM Punk on commentary being disgusted by it.

The Monday Night War series will start on Monday.  So you have to think the Nitro's will be coming in the next month

Also the newest Wrestlemania rewind will feature CM Punk winning the 2 Money in the Bank matches which is rather interesting given how he left the company.   Thought they might put those shows on the back burner in case he does come back

Man..I can't wait for them to be able let us watch the previous Raw for those of us who missed it and don't have the benefit of DVR.

That's not gonna happen due to the USA Network contract. I think WWE has to wait 60 or 90 days before they can add Raw to The Network.

I've been binge watching ECW TV.  So far I'm a quarter into '94 but it's pretty interesting.  I've enjoyed seeing how Dreamer started as the pretty boy, and surfer Sandman is a sight to see.  And I never really cared for Public Enemy, but I've gotten a huge kick out of them.  Really want to just fast forward to when they ditch NWA and things really take shape, but I'm more often than not enjoying the episodes.

Oh, and that Matty in the house guy is a fucking tool.  God, he's annoying.

• Like 1

First 13 SNME's are up in the Vault, Pretty much all of them from 86-87

Good to see they at least are using the second theme song for the early shows instead of that HORRIBLE piece of music that they used on Classics.  I wish they could just take the Cult of Personality money that they don't need anymore and transfer it to Obsession.

I've been binge watching ECW TV.  So far I'm a quarter into '94 but it's pretty interesting.  I've enjoyed seeing how Dreamer started as the pretty boy, and surfer Sandman is a sight to see.  And I never really cared for Public Enemy, but I've gotten a huge kick out of them.  Really want to just fast forward to when they ditch NWA and things really take shape, but I'm more often than not enjoying the episodes.

Oh, and that Matty in the house guy is a fucking tool.  God, he's annoying.

It really does surprise me how much the ECW crowd in late 1994 so was so suckered by the "Flair is Dead" and "Dick Flair" stuff from Douglas.   I can't imagine a crowd that is generally considered "smart" would have actually support a hatred of one of the best even by 1994 standards.   Did people really think that Flair was going to face Shane in ECW because that was never going to happen.   I guess this was part of the anti-WCW rhetoric that was building strong at that time

By the way, Shane's first title run in 1994 - 1995 really doesn't hold up at all.  I mean he had title matches against guys like Jim Powers and a worn out Tully Blanchard.   No idea how the Ron Simmons matches were because they didn't show the first match.  

Shane's reign is just like everything in 94 ECW. The matches by and large aren't very good, although Shane's were as good as anyones in the company, but the promos are still great. When I binged 94 ECW a few years ago it got to the point where I'd skip most of the actual matches and just watch the angles and promos.

This new Monday Night Wars doc is a bit more in-depth than the last few they've made.  Having newer interviews with guys you haven't heard from helps alot (including Luger and the first appearance of Tony Schiavone in what seems like forever).

Yeah I was very shocked to see Schiavone on this and his voice sounds so different now. Pretty good first episode that covered a lot of familiar ground but I do think they had a good diversity of perspectives and there seemed to be a good number of recent interviews (although most seemed to be from 2011-12ish). 

Yeah I was very shocked to see Schiavone on this and his voice sounds so different now. Pretty good first episode that covered a lot of familiar ground but I do think they had a good diversity of perspectives and there seemed to be a good number of recent interviews (although most seemed to be from 2011-12ish). 

Russo also.

Watching Old School from Toronto 11/10/85 - why did they dub over Hillbilly Jim's "Don't Go Messin' With A Country Boy"? Also does it ever mess with anyone else's head when they perform in a non-standard WWF ring? I always noticed in Toronto they would use a NWA-esce ring minus the NWA logos...other times I've seen NWA rings with WWF turnbuckles on them or other minor touches like that. Don't get me started on rings that have the red/white/blue ropes out of correct order.

Ok I am watching this CM Punk WrestleMania Moment/Rewind. Whatever it is called. They are showing his Money in The Bank matches.

This stuff is HARD to watch. I sometimes wish someone gets injured badly so they can put an end to these stunt type matches.

Shelton Benjaim, sooper at-letic

Just saw the MNW episode. Overall I enjoyed it and lots of footage I hadn't seen in years. Only thing that really irked me was the fact they are still using Bischoff's footage from 11 years ago! So far we had all the key players from WCW show up, which begs the question if Sting and Goldberg will eventually show up? Honestly the commentary or insights by Miz, Ryback, Punk or Bryan don't really do much for me since all of them where still in high school at that time.

Also the fact we need to have some sort of sympathy for Vince McMahon is ridiculous, but then again that was the case with the Monday Night Wars DVD from a few years ago (fucking hell I wanted to punch Brisco). Typical WWE revisionism. Although this time around it seems a bit more objective.

Can't help but feel bad for Vince McMahon. I mean, Bischoff/Turner purchased all of his homegrown talent and didn't seem to have any remorse about it. They could have put Vince out of business! That's just not how you do things. Vince knows.

I would say that narrative is the one that bothers me the most. I remember on the ECW DVD, Heyman talked about WCW raiding ECW talent and Bischoff countered with something along the lines of, "sure, but didn't Vince raid the 80's territories for his brand? No one calls that raiding." Obviously, no one in WWE calls it raiding, but Bischoff's point was totally accurate.

Luger/Pillman at Havoc '89 is one of my favorite matches that I never really hear people talk about. Cocky heel Luger figuring out almost too late that he was getting out-quicked and out-efforted before hanging on and using Pillman's speed against him with a stun gun for the pinfall was really, really fun. I love both of those guys anyway, so I'm not surprised that the match was awesome, but I wanted to give it some love here.