DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

I had completely forgotten about Nikita Koloff's manhood being shown during the Starrcade 86 main event, and there it was this morning in all its unedited glory.

I watched Vengeance 2007 last night (the infamous Benoit no-show ppv) and I'd totally forgotten that Mick Foley was in the main event. I'm now looking back at ppvs from 2007 and most of that year is a blur to me. I can't remember much of what happened in the WWE that year past Wrestlemania.

2007 definitely dropped off post-Mania (although Backlash was a pretty good show that year) but I remember really digging the main event scene starting with the Cena/Orton match at Summerslam. Orton had a great run as champ with good matches with Cena, Triple H, and Shawn at SS that year too. 

Watching the ep of RAW that aired before SummerSlam '94 and they keep saying it's "One Week From Tonight!". Did they really run SummerSlam on Monday night? What aired on RAW that night? I know running PPVs during the week was pretty regular early on, but thought they went exclusively to Sunday Only once RAW started airing. I was watching during this time, but I don't remember them having Monday Night PPVs

EDIT: Ok, they clarified at the end of the show that RAW wouldn't be on the air the next two weeks due to the US Open airing on USA. I still find it odd that they ran the PPV on Monday night

The first seven Summerslams were all on Monday nights.  The first Summerslam on a Sunday wasn't until 1995 when they expanded to monthly PPVs and moved them all to Sunday.

The fact that John Cena's debut was ranked the most memorable and The Outsiders was ranked 10th should be enough proof that people who vote for WWE Countdown are idiots.

Or people like my 11 year old cousin who loves Cena and thinks of The Outsiders the way people our age think of Dory Funk. They have maybe heard the name but it's before their time, and thus means little.

Man Clash IX was a tremendously fun show. Flair-Funk I Quit remains an all-time classic, Luger-Pillman was really good again (and Luger had his best ever night as a heel during the show), MX-Dudes was surprisingly awesome, and I loved Steiners-Skyscrapers tossing each other around. Also, the Jim Ross-Gordie Solie announcing team was every bit as great as you would imagine. Definitely one of my favorite Clashes, and one of my all-time favorite wrestling shows in general.

No love for the Khali and Lasheley carry jobs by Cena?

Cena definitely did a lot of good work looking back. It's just that a lot of that year was mainly forgettable to me now due to Lashley flaming out and Khali having been largely irrelevant for years.

The fact that John Cena's debut was ranked the most memorable and The Outsiders was ranked 10th should be enough proof that people who vote for WWE Countdown are idiots.

Or people like my 11 year old cousin who loves Cena and thinks of The Outsiders the way people our age think of Dory Funk. They have maybe heard the name but it's before their time, and thus means little.

this pissed me off watching it too. the Outsiders' debuts changed professional wrestling.  it is still talked about today.

chris jericho's (wwf) debut was the changing of the tides in the Monday Night Wars, at least as far as talent goes. it is still considered to be the most memorable.

john cena's debut came against a top superstar and was high-profile. but it really wasn't as memorable as almost any other on the list. if Cena had fizzled out it wouldn't even be top 100.

did anyone ever find out why he left in 86?

Legal problems.  Condrey has talked about it in a couple shoots.  He left the territory basically overnight without telling Cornette or Eaton because several women had filed paternity suits against him and he wanted to get out of the area and lay low.

There might have been some other reason.  He showed up in Portland not long after, wrestled a couple matches, and disappeared.  Supposedly, he failed a physical and couldn't get licensed in the state.

Watching some random old favorites tonight. Armageddon 2008, always one of my favorites with one of my all time favorite moments in Hardy's title win.

Watching Extreme Rules 2009.. fun show with all the title changes happening. Good 4 way opener with Kofi/Matt/Regal/MVP. Laughed out loud at when Dreamer wins the ECW title and Striker shouts "Thomas John Laughlin is the ECW Champion!" Always loved Batista's title win here as it was so unexpected and the match was so short. The one thing that always surprised me about all the hate Batista gets now was that he was kinda the opposite of Cena and never really had much of that babyface backlash during his original run on top. Love Hardy/Edge... awesome pre-match feud video package, very well done. This pretty much kicked off one of my favorite Smackdown eras ever, summer 2009.

Laughed out loud at when Dreamer wins the ECW title and Striker shouts "Thomas John Laughlin is the ECW Champion!"

Striker really was the worst. After listening to him and then having heel Michael Cole shitting on everything, listening to JBL prattle on to Maggle Cole isn't so bad.

Laughed out loud at when Dreamer wins the ECW title and Striker shouts "Thomas John Laughlin is the ECW Champion!"

Striker really was the worst. After listening to him and then having heel Michael Cole shitting on everything, listening to JBL prattle on to Maggle Cole isn't so bad.

Oh boy. Does he actually say that? That's brutal. And I've defended Striker a bunch.

I guess I am really late to know but I had no idea that the original plan at WM in Houston according to WM Rewind was Jericho vs Mickey Rourke 1 on 1.  I thought the 3 on 1 match was always the plan.   But I am glad that jericho was able to change Vince's mind because while I like Greg Valentine it was definitely proven that Ricky Steamboat as the 3rd guy was the right choice.  If only jericho could have Vince to remove Snuka and put Valentine in there

Watched the Couples version of Countdown and this definitely one of the better ones in terms of funny.  So much good stuff here:

1.  Daniel Bryan basically showing his progression of puberty as a kid getting excited it for the 1997 RAW magazine for Goldust and Marlena painted in gold basically naked to watching Sable later

2.  Vince McMahon and all of the divas that he fucked throughout the years

3.  Billy and Chuck.  Still love that entrance music ^_^

4.  Mark Henry and Mae Young

5.  AJ Lee explaining her side of the Bryan/Lee relationship and how it has made her what she is now.  I forgot how good he was as a douchebag to her. 

Hard to imagine that Alicia Fox has been in the WWE for at least 6 years starting as a marriage consultant 

Complete agree that Lita and Edge should be  #1

I guess I am really late to know but I had no idea that the original plan at WM in Houston according to WM Rewind was Jericho vs Mickey Rourke 1 on 1.  I thought the 3 on 1 match was always the plan.   But I am glad that jericho was able to change Vince's mind because while I like Greg Valentine it was definitely proven that Ricky Steamboat as the 3rd guy was the right choice.  If only jericho could have Vince to remove Snuka and put Valentine in there

Watched the Couples version of Countdown and this definitely one of the better ones in terms of funny.  So much good stuff here:

1.  Daniel Bryan basically showing his progression of puberty as a kid getting excited it for the 1997 RAW magazine for Goldust and Marlena painted in gold basically naked to watching Sable later

5.  AJ Lee explaining her side of the Bryan/Lee relationship and how it has made her what she is now.  I forgot how good he was as a douchebag to her. 

Hard to imagine that Alicia Fox has been in the WWE for at least 6 years starting as a marriage consultant 

Are Lita & Edge ranked #1 over Savage and Liz, or were Savage/Liz not included?

I've only seen a few of the actual Countdown polls, but IIRC, you only vote for the one you think is #1.  So theoretically, if it was unanimous that the Outsiders debut was the second greatest debut of all time, with all other 9 debuts receiving mixed votes for #1, the Outsiders would come in 10th.

Are Lita & Edge ranked #1 over Savage and Liz, or were Savage/Liz not included?

Ranked over

10. Goldust & Marlena

9. Edge & Vickie Guerrero

8. King Booker & Queen Sharmell

7. Marc Mero & Sable

6. Mark Henry & Mae Young

5. Billy & Chuck

4. Daniel Bryan & AJ Lee

3. Randy Savage & Miss Elizabeth

2. Triple H & Stephanie McMahon

1. Edge & Lita

Probably because Edge was one of the first major talents whose success came almost completely through the WWE.  It does seem odd that he's treated like an icon on these, while HHH usually names him as one of the guys who was never one of "the" guys.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm a glutton for punishment and decided to watch every WCW ppv from 1999 to the end. I just finished Superbrawl 99. I won't bore you with most of the show since it was pretty forgettable, though mostly inoffensive considering it's WCW in 1999. However, I found one of those "pleasant surprise" matches in the least likely of places.

The Hogan/Flair main event may very well be their best match together. I was expecting a lot of stalling, Flair looking like an idiot, and a generally sad match, but I got mostly the opposite until the finish. Both guys came out fired up and started the match pretty quickly. They worked a spirited brawl with lots of hate and both guys got busted open. There were some great spots like Hogan trying to fend off a crazed Flair with his belt, including whipping him right in the face as Flair went for the legs. Also Hogan started to hulk up off some Flair chops, but Flair cut him off with an eye-poke and a kick to the nuts (which he should have been doing forever, but the pop that would've gotten in 94 wouldn't have been ideal).

Now, of course, the finish involves David Flair turning on Ric and making out with newly-debuted Torrie Wilson. Also David, uses a taser on Ric when he's got Hogan in the figure four, but it only hurts Ric in the biggest head-scratcher of the entire thing. However, vintage WCW silliness aside, this is still a great effort from Flair and Hogan who kept up the pace for a good 10 minutes, conveyed the most hate in any match they had together, and both bladed to add to the theatrics. Really fun match throughout for 90% right 10% wrong reasons.

Rewatching Starcade '83, I can't believe I never noticed Sonny Fargo's "#1 REFEREE" belt buckle. His grandkids must've made it in art class for him.

• Like 1