DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Kronik vs Undertaker & Kane from Unforgiven 2001 was absolutely horrible. Kronik botched literally everything they did that night. Even things as simple as punches, elbows even getting in the ring they mistimed everything.

Watched 123 Kid vs Bret from the 7/11/94 Raw and the 8/1/94 Raw with Razor vs HBK and Bull Nakano vs Alundra Blayze. The Kid/Bret match is legendary for a reason and Shawn and Razor always work well together (this one is no exception), but I really like Nakano and Blayze. Bull does everything with such force and speed, even just running the ropes. I had such little appreciation for the women's matches when they first aired and I'm kind of embarassed by that.

Currently watching the Jericho vs. Legends match from WM 25 on Wrestlemania Rewind.

Man, every time i watch it and Steamboat starts doing splashes, arm drags and chops I MARK OUT BRO!

Seriously just a huge smile on my face when he's in the ring during this match, an amazing performance and (an unexpected) great match.

• Like 1

I'll never forget watching that with my buddies. At the time, I was really into ROH. And I saw that Steamboat could still move when he had his confrontations with Punk during their feud. So that 'Mania match, Piper and Snuka were stinking the joint up and my buddies just wanted the match to end, I was saying, "Wait for Steamboat, guys. Wait for Steamboat..." And he proved me right.

I was a smug dick about it all night.

• Like 2

I am slowly working through the early RAWs, and I plan to watch the PPVs that correspond with them as I work through them.

I am up to the 93 Rumble match at that PPV, and the opening entrants are Flair and Backlund who have a really fun exchange.

I YouTubed to see if they ever had a solid wrestling encounter somewhere, and I could find nothing that currently existed.

Does anyone know of anything between the two? I have a feeling not because I do not think Backlund worked many NWA territories and obviously took a lengthy break early into his career before returning.

Watching the Smackdown w/ the Austin/Booker supermarket brawl. What great, dumb fun. Price check on a jackass, indeed.

What was the resolution to the Test immunity angle? Had no memory of this at all.

• Like 1

The Angle/Cena mach I recall really enjoying was their first big one at No Mercy 2003 (I think). Cena was still working his way up the card and was hot, and I think Angle was only a couple months removed from returning from his experimental neck surgery.

Don't think there ever was.

Actually - think he might have been legit released not long after the immunity period was over too.

Test was released in November 2004. He won the immunity battle royale in November 2001. In between those 3 years, all that happened was The Un-Americans stable with Lance Storm & Christian and the "Testicles" stuff with Stacy/feud with Scott Steiner. Then it went like this: injury - surgery - fired.

I remembered all of that except for his release date, which I had to Wiki. Is that sad? I quite enjoyed RAW back in the early brand split days for all the wrong reasons...

I am up to the 93 Rumble match at that PPV, and the opening entrants are Flair and Backlund who have a really fun exchange.

I YouTubed to see if they ever had a solid wrestling encounter somewhere, and I could find nothing that currently existed.

Does anyone know of anything between the two? I have a feeling not because I do not think Backlund worked many NWA territories and obviously took a lengthy break early into his career before returning.

They worked title v. title at the Omni in '82.  You can find the promos leading to the match, but sadly no footage.

I wasn't really watching WWE during this time period, so I hope one of you fellas can help me out: what was the best Angle vs. Cena PPV match?

i believe it was Unforgiven 2005 that i'm thinking of. now, i don't remember the match specifically, but what i remember is the promos beforehand. they're trying everything possible for Cena to get a face reaction. Kurt Angle says such ridiculous things as "i not a big fan of the black people" and "i'd make Jesus tap out" and still gets cheered. that's my favorite Angle memory.

So I missed out on WWE and wrestling in general from 2009 to the end of 2012. Watching some of these PPVs from then to catch up, I just finally saw all of Wrestlemania 26 in its poorly thought out glory, what is worth watching after that? I'll probably watch the Rumble, Mania and MitB from every year.

I also liked Cena vs Angle vs Big Show from No Way Out 2004, I'd avoid their mediocre Survivor Series 2005 match we special guest referee Davari.

Don't think there ever was.

Actually - think he might have been legit released not long after the immunity period was over too.

Test was released in November 2004. He won the immunity battle royale in November 2001. In between those 3 years, all that happened was The Un-Americans stable with Lance Storm & Christian and the "Testicles" stuff with Stacy/feud with Scott Steiner. Then it went like this: injury - surgery - fired.

I remembered all of that except for his release date, which I had to Wiki. Is that sad? I quite enjoyed RAW back in the early brand split days for all the wrong reasons...

The Test/Steiner/Stacy angle was brutal. It ended with Stacy becoming their slave. I can only guess her duties.

But it got there in a really weird way. Stacy managed Scott. She cost him a match against Test where the stipulation was that Steiner had to become Test's servant. I think he had to carry his bags or something once. I really wish they just kept it with that so I could hear Steiner try to pronounce the phrase "indentured servitude."

I wasn't really watching WWE during this time period, so I hope one of you fellas can help me out: what was the best Angle vs. Cena PPV match?

i believe it was Unforgiven 2005 that i'm thinking of. now, i don't remember the match specifically, but what i remember is the promos beforehand. they're trying everything possible for Cena to get a face reaction. Kurt Angle says such ridiculous things as "i not a big fan of the black people" and "i'd make Jesus tap out" and still gets cheered. that's my favorite Angle memory.

New Year's Revolution 2006.

I remember the No Way Out 2005 #1 contender's match being a decent carry job by Angle.

So I missed out on WWE and wrestling in general from 2009 to the end of 2012. Watching some of these PPVs from then to catch up, I just finally saw all of Wrestlemania 26 in its poorly thought out glory, what is worth watching after that? I'll probably watch the Rumble, Mania and MitB from every year.

I also liked Cena vs Angle vs Big Show from No Way Out 2004, I'd avoid their mediocre Survivor Series 2005 match we special guest referee Davari.

MITB 2011 is an excellent show with arguably a ***** main event and the best MITB Ladder match ever imo (the Smackdown one).

• Like 2

It is really hard to watch any 2010 and early 2011 WWE given how awful the commentary was.  This was when Michael Cole was in his heel gimmick,  Matt Striker at his making shit up worse, and Jerry Lawler just desperately trying to care given how much he hates working with both of them at the time.

MITB 2011 is an excellent show with arguably a ***** main event and the best MITB Ladder match ever imo (the Smackdown one).

Cena/Punk is a historically good match. It's either that or Shield/Wyatts from EC as my MOTD.

• Like 2

I'd say Cena's top five are vs Punk MitB '11, vs Umaga RR '07, vs Edge Backlash '09, vs HBK on RAW in London '07, and vs Lesnar at ER '12. Any order is fine. I also really enjoyed his early stuff vs Taker at Vengeance 2003 (underrated show) and vs Lesnar at Backlash 2003,

The commentary has been painful thus far and Cole hasn't even turned yet! Striker is driving me crazy, him and Booker T both have driven me mad on some of these older shows I've checked out. They make me yearn for the current trio. I think I know now why Lawler seems so insane nowadays, ever since he lost JR he has been driven mad by his rotating cast of partners. I am not looking forward to Wrestlemania 27 but I committed myself to watching all the Wrestlemanias so... Yeah.

• Like 2