DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Currently watching Backlash 99, overall a much more entertaining show than WM the previous month.

- The Boiler Room Brawl between Foley and Show was pretty good and had a couple of painful looking spots that i didn't remember.

- HHH vs. X-Pac was damn great too, didn't remember this one at all. Weird seeing HHH with generic bad guy music.

- Holy shit at Bearer's double chin, it was pretty much the same height as his entire face, probably the most unhealthy he ever looked. Taker looked awesome though, Ministry Taker just looked bad ass.

- Rock vs. Austin was a fun Attitude era brawl, just silly entertaining all the way.

There's that small run he had on Raw in 2003 with Teddy Long where he's clearly a good worker but I'd say 2006 was when he began to piece it together and become really good. A shame he got injured in the summer of 06 because he was just another awesome cog in Smackdown's awesome wheel.

Currently watching Backlash 99, overall a much more entertaining show than WM the previous month.

- The Boiler Room Brawl between Foley and Show was pretty good and had a couple of painful looking spots that i didn't remember.

- HHH vs. X-Pac was damn great too, didn't remember this one at all. Weird seeing HHH with generic bad guy music.

- Holy shit at Bearer's double chin, it was pretty much the same height as his entire face, probably the most unhealthy he ever looked. Taker looked awesome though, Ministry Taker just looked bad ass.

- Rock vs. Austin was a fun Attitude era brawl, just silly entertaining all the way.

That's one of the few WWF PPV's from 1999 I like. Main event produced one of the best Austin/Rock matches. Ministry 'Taker was my least favourite Dead Man persona of his.

Is 80s NWA the greatest thing ever or what?

It is in my book.  Maybe it's like the way baseball fans always prefer the style of baseball they grew up on as kids, but now that I can easily get crystal-clear copies of 80s NWA events at my leisure I don't feel much of a need to watch other variants of pro-wrestling except as occasional incursions for specific events or wrestlers.  

• Like 2

Is 80s NWA the greatest thing ever or what?

It is in my book.  Maybe it's like the way baseball fans always prefer the style of baseball they grew up on as kids, but now that I can easily get crystal-clear copies of 80s NWA events at my leisure I don't feel much of a need to watch other variants of pro-wrestling except as occasional incursions for specific events or wrestlers.  

I didn't grow up with it but it's exactly the kind of pro wrestling I love. Up to Clash X now and I believe I've never seen it before. The trailer for WrestleWar 90 with the awful rapping is absolutely amazing as is the corny vignette of Dr. Death trying to resuscitate someone in an ambulance. I have seen the Cactus/Mil Mascaras match before and it always amazes me that Cactus took that fucking insane bump in a match with Mascaras of all people. I'd have had a No-Sell Off 

After I'm done with the Clashes, I think I'm going to dip into the early days of Raw which I've never seen in full. I know of certain matches but I want it all.

Starrcade 84

It is readily apparent at the end of the first match (Mike Davis vs. Denny Brown for the NWA World Jr. Heavyweight title) that no one with a microphone, ring announcer Tom Miller, Bob Caudle or Gordon Solie, has any clue who the fuck just wrestled. Denny wins and is the new champion. Miller announces that Davis retained even though Denny is celebrating and when they throw it back to Caudle and Solie, neither of them correct him and both or obviously flustered as they know something is amiss. Ah, the joys of live television...

The tag title match from Clash 17? Still amazeballs.

In all the years I watched NWA/WCW, that match might be my single biggest markout.

"NOT RICKY STEAMBOAT!!"

This is another Clash I remember watching with my buddy David as a kid. We went nuts. Dustin was one of our favorites and we'd bulldog the shit out of other kids on the playground.
  • Like 1

Watched the Countdown on Craziest Ladder Matches.  while the list was extremely hit and miss, it was pretty good.  Funny to see Evan Bourne on the show as it has to be his first appearance on WWE show in maybe 2 years  which is probably when it was taped

\

The 4/27/2000 SD was mostly boring, but I am willing to rewatch/recommend/whatever it simply because Vince split the group up to look for Austin like he was fucking Freddy from Scooby Doo.

I don't care what carny things or how the company is ran, it's gonna be a sad day for the on air product when someone finally tells his crazy old ass to sit down for good.

Watched the Countdown on Craziest Ladder Matches.  while the list was extremely hit and miss, it was pretty good.  Funny to see Evan Bourne on the show as it has to be his first appearance on WWE show in maybe 2 years  which is probably when it was taped

\

My favorite part was the general consensus that Ladder matches just suck to be in and everyone hates them.

Watched Clash XV with Eaton vs Flair, could've done more but the story made since. I been skimming through some of the PPVs and Clashes and I realized Eaton is one of the few guys I can watch match after match and not get bored. He and Finlay and Regal are the only guys to me that each match is different

I recorded Clash XV on VHS as a kid. The 13 year old version of myself must have watched the Steiners vs Hase/Chono 100 times. Both teams beat the crap out of each other including Chono shattering Rick's headgear with a kick. I'm glad to see the match holds up and I can still can recite most of the commentary.

There is one moment during the match I don't think I have seen in another tag match since. Scott hit Hase with a top rope belly to belly. As Scott went for the cover, Hase was waving Chono into the ring indicating he needed to be saved. Chono then entered and broke up the count. It really added to the believability.

I was watching Clash XV too and during the Luger/Muta match, Muta gets thrown into the turnbuckle, and he takes the one craziest flips to the outside I think I ever seen.  He just goes flying out. 

Just watched that today, that was simply crazy, he just goes flying out of the ring backwards hoping for the best.

Also, watching this older WCW shows, am i crazy or are Roman Reigns and Lex Luger's faces veeeery similar? Every time Luger comes out i think he looks like a blonder less samoan Reigns.