DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Watching the main event of Spring Stampede 99 which is Flair-Sting-Hogan-Page with Savage as ref. Everyone looks pissed coming down to the ring for some reason, which makes it hard to tell at this period who's face and who's heel. Hogan comes out to the Wolfpack music and is announced as a member of NWO Red and Black, despite wearing all white and black. Ahhh WCW. Ric Flair is WCW champion and WCW president for some reason. Savage brings Gorgeous George with him and becomes the only ref I can remember to have a valet in his corner. Such a weird match. I won't spoil the finish but it's pretty strange

I just watched Chyna/Eddie Guerrero vs. Val Venis/Essa Rios, and God help me, I really enjoyed Chyna and Eddie as a tag team. Yeah, I know Eddie did the heavy lifting nand it was a really short match, but still. 

If you click on the Clash I link on the schedule it takes you to the "not available on demand until after it premieres" message.  But the video is up:

http://network.wwe.com/video/v32286157

It's playing for me right now on my laptop.

I'm at Midnights/Fantastics.

Watched the 40 man Royal Rumble.

- Man, I've never seen a crowd lost their shit over someone just to completely lose interest within seconds. Years later, ADR is still guaranteed to kill a hot crowd.

- Jack Swaggie looked weird. I mean, Khali has a weird body, and we accept that. Swaggie looked like a really tall nerd that has just discovered steroids and only his chest took to them. Like idk. Just weird to look at.

I should rewatch that 40 man Rumble. I was there live, and we all lost their shit for Santino popping up at the end. I remember Bryan, Regal and Punk getting really big pops towards the start of the match as well.

I just watched the Arnold Smackdown from 1999. By far the best segment was Big Bossman interrupting Big Show's dad's (guess it wasn't Andre after all) funeral. Asshole Bossman in 1999 was hella entertaining.

Watched Survivor Series 96 yesterday and was surprised by it, it was pretty entertaining overall and it may be one of the only good Sid matches that i can remember. Loved Shawn's reaction to the crowd turning on him.

I remember being disappointed by Taker/Foley on that show. What did you think of it?

Foley was really disappointed by his performance in that match.

ALBERTO DEL RIO VS. DOLPH ZIGGLER, PAYBACK 2013 --

This match is great. ADR looks like an absolute monster of a person in this. Not as in "he's a world beater" but he's a ruthless piece of human garbage who goes well beyond acceptable standards of competitive decency in order to win his title. Ricardo is such an awesome, sad little man whose only sense of worth comes form his boss's success. AJ puts in A+ work as the concerned girlfriend. Great booking decision to have Big E get thrown out in the match early (for showing concern) -- it explains why he's not involved early and also adds to the sympathy that Dolph gets.

And that's what this match is about. Dolph gets sympathy from the audience. Austin/Bret is the standard-bearer for the Double Turn. But in that match, Austin proves without a shadow of a doubt that he is the toughest SOB who ever lived and you have to come so close to flat-out killing him in order to stop him. Whereas Bret ends the match like a true bully crybaby who is pissed he got outshined even in triumph.

This is different. The audience, in this, feels bad for Dolph. It's super admirable he's in this match, and hitting a late Zig Zag. People should be able to earn respect in a battle between two ruthless alpha males. But earning sympathy? That's a lot more difficult in many ways.

If I remember right, Mick said both of them were disappointed in it.  They'd been tearing down arenas all over the country, had pulled out a couple of really great ppv matches before that, and then just hit a complete dud in the Garden.

I should rewatch that ppv though, been years and years and years since I saw anything from it except Bret/Austin.

Watching CM Punk v Orton from Extreme Rules 2011 and Brock Lesnar Guy before he was "Brock Lesnar Guy" is in the front row.

He was front row or thereabouts for Mania 27 too.

ALBERTO DEL RIO VS. DOLPH ZIGGLER, PAYBACK 2013 --

This match is great. ADR looks like an absolute monster of a person in this. Not as in "he's a world beater" but he's a ruthless piece of human garbage who goes well beyond acceptable standards of competitive decency in order to win his title. Ricardo is such an awesome, sad little man whose only sense of worth comes form his boss's success. AJ puts in A+ work as the concerned girlfriend. Great booking decision to have Big E get thrown out in the match early (for showing concern) -- it explains why he's not involved early and also adds to the sympathy that Dolph gets.

And that's what this match is about. Dolph gets sympathy from the audience. Austin/Bret is the standard-bearer for the Double Turn. But in that match, Austin proves without a shadow of a doubt that he is the toughest SOB who ever lived and you have to come so close to flat-out killing him in order to stop him. Whereas Bret ends the match like a true bully crybaby who is pissed he got outshined even in triumph.

This is different. The audience, in this, feels bad for Dolph. It's super admirable he's in this match, and hitting a late Zig Zag. People should be able to earn respect in a battle between two ruthless alpha males. But earning sympathy? That's a lot more difficult in many ways.

I really, really liked this match when I first saw it. I thought it was EASILY the match of the night and I went into that match debating whether or not to even watch it because I just don't care about either guys. I was back to not caring about them by the time they got to their next PPV match-up but I still think that's a great, unique match.

The best thing about the Dolph/Del Rio double turn match was the heels showing concern for their friend. Far too often heels are booked as complete assholes to everyone including those closest to them. It's stupid. Sometimes heels should have friends and should have one another's back.

Im up to June of "94 with my ECW viewing & I think JT smith was kinda hurt by constantly being booked against alot of the strictly hardcore roughneck style guys. he comes across as a more tradition type but he can sell like crazy for those insane spots. by the time eddie & malenko & Benoit came around im sure he knees were a big problem