DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

How does it compare to the Mania match? It's been a long time since I've seen the SS 95 rematch.

Just rewatched the SS 95 one, overall it felt like a much more intense and wild match if a bit sloppier, but that added to the feel of urgency to everything they did. They played up spots from the first one perfectly and did some crazier stuff, all the bumps looked uglier and brutal in a good way. The multiple botched ending was a bit awkward to watch but it didn't hurt the match too much.

The crowd was also on fire from the beginning since they knew what to expect this time and were a lot more into both guys at this point. Between both matches i'd say the first one was better executed but this one was much more fun to watch.

Some random comments while watching the match:

- Cringed at the suplex to the outside where Michaels hit the guardrail with his ankle/heel.

- Cringed at the bodyslam on the ladder where he landed on his legs.

- Loved the moonsault from the ladder, don't remember anyone else ever doing this.

- Loved Michaels going SPLAT after the (bigger than WM X) splash from the ladder.

The time filler between 9:50 and 10 pm was Booker T cooking for his family. I'd watch a half hour of that a week...

Is that the one where he's like "i'm gonna make some gravy" and then just opens a can of mushroom soup and nukes it?

The time filler between 9:50 and 10 pm was Booker T cooking for his family. I'd watch a half hour of that a week...

Is that the one where he's like "i'm gonna make some gravy" and then just opens a can of mushroom soup and nukes it?

yup.

How does it compare to the Mania match? It's been a long time since I've seen the SS 95 rematch.

It's pretty much a pale imitation. The Slam match is still pretty good, but it makes a lot of mistakes that the original avoided. At a certain point it turns into too much of "Hey, watch Razor hit this big more so that Shawn can bump big, and for some reason Razor is hurt as well." Razor is better in the rematch though, he does some splendid work on Shawn's leg, and for a good 5-8 minutes. Of course Shawn renders it all moot by only bothering to sell the leg for about a minute after he goes back on offense. The other big difference is that in the first the bump set-ups all seemed genuine. In the Slam match there are ridiculous moments like Shawn deciding to jump and splash the turnbuckle in the middle of an Irish Whip just so that he can sit there like an idiot and wait for Razor to come and attack him. The botched finishes are a big problem too, I mean Shawn botches the finish three times and every time he sets it up again like the crowd is not supposed to realize that he's trying the same spot again. Not a bad match, but compared to the Mania match it falls way short.

Interesting. I'm gonna go back and watch the matches back-to-back. I was actually at Mania 10 but I was only six at the time, so I'm sure 26 year old me will have a different perspective (I feel old). It's actually been a while since I've watched the Mania match but I've still seen it way more than the Slam match.

Perhaps acoustics were poor?

Put it this way: The Alamodome in San Antonio and the stadium in St. Louis where the Rams play aren't dissimilar, and for Rams games it's cavernous in terms of crowd noise.

I just watched NXT Arrival for the first time and loved it. Not having seen any NXT before, I really like the small-time studio feel. Cesaro/Zane was tremendous.

Any other match recommendations from NXT?

I watched Starrcade '96 last night. I remember as a little girl, I thought Hall and Nash and Meng didn't like each by the way they kept trying to hurt each other.

Now, I think the match was Hall and Nash trying to survive without it becoming too stiff. Tho, Meng never met a man that didn't deserve a Samoan headbutt.

Didn't Polo allegedly take Shane out drinking with him, and that pissed Vince off that Shane was acting like one of the boys?

Yep. That's supposedly the root of all the "Vince hates Raven" stuff. Evidently, Raven had an office at Titan Towers and was working as a commentator and segment producer when he became friends with Shane, who was shadowing his dad to learn all about the business or whatever. Shane being a young rich kid and Raven being Raven, they would go out partying/clubbing in NYC which totally pissed off Vince. I seem to recall Missy Hyatt in her book - or maybe it was on Dave's old Eyada show - mentioning the first time she met Shane he was at NY night club with Raven.

The crazy thing to consider is, if Raven hadn't been Raven - and stayed with WWE - he probably would've had the career trajectory that ended up going to Michael Hayes.

I've been on an Earthquake/John Tenta spree lately after seeing him squash some geek on one of the 94 RAWs.  There was a solid Jake/Quake match on one of the MSG shows, shortly after Quake literally squashed Damien.  I like the fact that Quake seemingly wasn't afraid of snakes, at least compared to other big men like Andre.  I searched Avalanche and only got a Macho/Avalanche match listed from 1969, which has Flair in drag.  Anyone want to fill me in on what show this is actually from?  Also, anyone got any recommendations for Quake matches?  I always liked him as a kid, especially when he was a face.  He seemed so likable.

I've been on an Earthquake/John Tenta spree lately after seeing him squash some geek on one of the 94 RAWs.  There was a solid Jake/Quake match on one of the MSG shows, shortly after Quake literally squashed Damien.  I like the fact that Quake seemingly wasn't afraid of snakes, at least compared to other big men like Andre.  I searched Avalanche and only got a Macho/Avalanche match listed from 1969, which has Flair in drag.  Anyone want to fill me in on what show this is actually from?  Also, anyone got any recommendations for Quake matches?  I always liked him as a kid, especially when he was a face.  He seemed so likable.

Assuming you've seen it, but Hogan/Quake from SummerSlam 90 is very good.

Assuming you've seen it, but Hogan/Quake from SummerSlam 90 is very good.

I was going to watch that next, when I get some time.  I watch a good MSG tag with the Natural Disasters v. LOD.  Quake and Typhoon stood up heavy to the Warriors and they told a good story of two bohemoth tag teams (pronounced bo, as in bow, that's the VKM way to say it) going at it.

The attitude era was a product of its time. Go back and watch things that were hot back then and it is all cringe inducing. Early South Park, Jerry Springer, The Tom Green Show. All of it is vile, crude, ADD programming.

Been watching random matches that I either hadn't seen or haven't seen in years.

Vader vs. Razor Ramon in Razor's last WWE match was shockingly good. I expected an extended squash but Razor got in a lot including kicking out of a Vader bomb.

Diesel talked about how his amazing match with HBK in Omaha so I checked out the street fight from the same IYH. Diesel hits an absolute brutal power bomb thru the announce table with the monitors sitting on top of it still. They both fall down on top of HBK in brutal fashion.

I stopped watching WWF in 1996 when Bret left and didn't come back until early 1997 so I missed a lot of things from that time period. Got on an Ahmed Johnson kick lately and if he wasn't so injury prone he would have easily been the world champ.

Six man tag from the PPV before Summerslam with Ahmed, Sid and HBK vs. Vader, Bulldog and Owen is fantastic. Solid work all around with a hot crowd even though a part of me wishes Warrior made the booking as Vader vs. Warrior seems like such a strange match. Vader wins to setup the main event of Summerslam.

Also look at the music scene back then. The rock music that defined that era

I always loved that era when WWE was using all the more mainstream rock bands of the time, one of my favorite periods for music in WWE