DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Yup. Watching Ep #72 of ECW now. Not only is it the NWA Title Match, but the infamous Singapore Cane Match between Sandman and Tommy Dreamer, which signaled the beginning of Tommy Dreamer's change from "suspenders guy" to "King of Hardcore". Pretty historic episode, I'd say.

Yup. Watching Ep #72 of ECW now. Not only is it the NWA Title Match, but the infamous Singapore Cane Match between Sandman and Tommy Dreamer, which signaled the beginning of Tommy Dreamer's change from "suspenders guy" to "King of Hardcore". Pretty historic episode, I'd say.

Heyman discussed the Sandman blinding angle on the Austin podcast today

This would be the point to really start watching ECW if you never have, but going back to get the Sandman/Dreamer "Thank you sir can I have another?" caining incident is what sold the fans and turned Dreamer from hated pretty boy into the ECW messiah.  And that whole fued of Sandman/Dreamer that rolled into Dreamer/Cairo was awesome.

I watched part of the April 1996 RAW with the Warrior return interview.  Yoko/Vader was fun since Yoko busted out a Samoan Drop on Vader.  Yoko was blown up quick though, which isn't surprising.  Vader went after the leg and they needed a forklift to cart him out, which was quite a sight.  Then, the Warrior came out and knocked the shit out of Goldust.  Warrior swore twice which was different for the time.  I'm left wondering if the Goldust gimmick would work as well today since homosexuality was more taboo in 1996 than it is now.

I think if the Goldust character were around today, folks would be offended at the way homosexuality was portrayed as opposed to in 1996 where I think the idea was that people would be offended at homosexuality being a thing. I'm not suggesting that everyone who watched wrestling in 1996 was anti-Goldust strictly because it was supposed to be a homosexual character, but I imagine that was the gimmick's purpose, otherwise Goldust wouldn't have debuted as a heel.

• Like 1

Watching No Mercy 2003. Picked a random show and ended up with one with a Lesnar v Undertaker main event. Not a bad little show overall aside from the atrocity that is Vince v Stephanie. It has Benoit v A Train on which is a win for me as I loved their matches

I'm watching No Mercy 1999 and there should be a thread called "Things you had completely forgotten about until The Network" and I would write about Tom Pritchard being the "head scab referee" during the referee strike that I barely remembered as it is.

I think if the Goldust character were around today, folks would be offended at the way homosexuality was portrayed as opposed to in 1996 where I think the idea was that people would be offended at homosexuality being a thing. I'm not suggesting that everyone who watched wrestling in 1996 was anti-Goldust strictly because it was supposed to be a homosexual character, but I imagine that was the gimmick's purpose, otherwise Goldust wouldn't have debuted as a heel.

Goldust comes off as a face to me personally when I watch that stuff in the present day. He beat Razor Ramon by using Razor's homophobia against him. Well, also the 1-2-3 Kid kicked Razor in the head. 

Watching Goldust/Piper, I just keep hoping that Goldust murders Piper's homophobic ass. 

In 2014, you might be able to pull of that character if you do it in the vein of something like how they pushed Muhammad Hassan, where the character outright notes that his actions are mindgames meant to expose that "all your heroes are homophobes." That way, even as there are crowds that boo him, he ends up being morally right. 

I'm watching No Mercy 1999 and there should be a thread called "Things you had completely forgotten about until The Network" and I would write about Tom Pritchard being the "head scab referee" during the referee strike that I barely remembered as it is.

I feel like almost all of the summer/fall of 1999 would fall under that category, for me at least. I was 12, a huge WWF fan and watched every single week... but I barely remember any of it. Those several months are just a total blur to me. A lot of 1999 WWF is like the sixties... if you can remember it vividly, you weren't really there.

Before "tapping out" became the norm in the late 90's, the ref would usually just call for the bell for a submission as if the guy submitting verbally told the ref he gave up. Sometimes there would be an over-exaggerated nodding of the head. That said, I never did like how the bell rang practically immediately after Perfect was put in the Sharpshooter, but knowing now that Perfect's back was in horrible shape at the time of the match, they probably just didn't want to keep him in the hold any longer than he needed to

Perfect shakes his head which I always interpreted as Perfect shaking his head as if to say "No more! No more! I can't take any more!" The bell did come awful fast but in hindsight with his back as jacked up as it was, I imagine Hebner was told to ring the bell as soon as the sharpshooter was more or less applied. I do grant you when you watch it with modern eyes it looks like Perfect got Monteal'd - oh the irony - five years early.

While UFC gave wrestling a bunch of wrestlers doing shitty looking submission holds, I guess we can all be thankful it also gave us the concept of the tap out.

Eugh. I'm no prude but this opening Smackdown segment where DX are bragging about pretending to have raped Stephanie is something I'm finding incredibly distasteful

Said it before, will say it forever: outside of Austin, the Attitude Era sucks.

• Like 1

That's not fair. Mr. McMahon, Rock, 2000 Triple H, Foley, Angle/Jericho/Benoit, E&C/Hardyz/Dudleyz. Attitude Era had a lot of great guys and angles to come out of it.

Sure, it's highly overrated because wrestling itself was so hot and folks are nostalgic, but to say the era sucked outside of Austin is highly underrating it.

Also, 2000 WWF was absolutely tremendous.