DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Pillman is the best. Watching the network over the first month or so has made Pillman and Rude into top five guys for me. 

Pillman can work great light-heavyweight fast-paced stuff, he does some really good small man-big man stuff, and he's awesome as a heel, too. He's a good FIP and a good fiery babyface hot tag in face tags with Zenk and a great cheating dick as a heel tag guy with Steve Austin. He can do everything and do it seemingly effortlessly.

It's a damn shame he shattered his ankle and died, obviously for him and his family, but selfishly for me as a wrestling fan because he would have been awesome in the Attitude Era. He would have gotten WAY over wrestling regularly, to the point where I believe there's an alternate universe where he's a two-time WWF Champ from that era. 

Right now, I'm highly enjoying this Bruno vs. Piper brawl on this 1985 Old School card from Boston Garden.  Piper gets juice off a ringpost shot less than a minute in and it's an all out brawl from there, with pissed off Bruno just lacing Piper.  Orton causes a DQ but Bruno cuts him off and goes for the cast.  The heels regroup when Orton's able to get a castshot in, and they beat down Bruno in the ropes.  Bruno had a TON of fire even at this point and had the crowd the whole time.  

Pretty awesome lineup today on the network before RAW - two old schools from 85 and 86 and then Bash at the Beach 94 (which is the first really random PPV I've seen thrown up on the live feed).

Right now, I'm highly enjoying this Bruno vs. Piper brawl on this 1985 Old School card from Boston Garden.  Piper gets juice off a ringpost shot less than a minute in and it's an all out brawl from there, with pissed off Bruno just lacing Piper.  Orton causes a DQ but Bruno cuts him off and goes for the cast.  The heels regroup when Orton's able to get a castshot in, and they beat down Bruno in the ropes.  Bruno had a TON of fire even at this point and had the crowd the whole time.  

Was watching Savage/Steamboat from the same card and was wondering when was the last time someone did the old foreign object in the tights gimmick in the WWE.

Was watching Savage/Steamboat from the same card and was wondering when was the last time someone did the old foreign object in the tights gimmick in the WWE.

The hilarious thing was, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Savage ended up winning the IC title from Tito, a year later in the exact same building. :)

But yeah, I cannot really remember the last time ANYONE legitimately used knux or a similar hidden object.  These days it's just using chairs or tables during a ref bump.  Which is garbage - the true test of a heel is one that can get it done behind the ref's back.  

Also, I really liked Ventura announcing the show, but stepping out to try to win the IC title from Tito, then coming back to commentary.

In between Old School cards live, they're randomly showing the Taz vs. Bigelow ECW TV title change from Living Dangerously.  ECW Taz coming to the ring to the WWF Tazz theme is just wrong.

"I was watching some WCCW, and saw the ep. with the 6-man battle royal.  What did Andre have against Terry Gordy?  He'd knock around the other heels for a second, then just go back to choking him out.  Rinse and repeat for 10 minutes.  Also, the ghost of Lynyrd Skynyrd can be heard over the generic instrumental knockoff used in the Freebirds video if you listen carefully." 

I watched this over the weekend.  I"m assuming Andre was taking up the Von Erich cause, as this was right after the KVE/Flair match....or....Gordy drank all of Andre's hooch earlier in the night.  Either way, that's gotta be scary to see Andre no-sell everyone else and KEEP coming after you.

The hilarious thing was, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Savage ended up winning the IC title from Tito, a year later in the exact same building. :)

But yeah, I cannot really remember the last time ANYONE legitimately used knux or a similar hidden object.  These days it's just using chairs or tables during a ref bump.  Which is garbage - the true test of a heel is one that can get it done behind the ref's back.  

Also, I really liked Ventura announcing the show, but stepping out to try to win the IC title from Tito, then coming back to commentary.

In between Old School cards live, they're randomly showing the Taz vs. Bigelow ECW TV title change from Living Dangerously.  ECW Taz coming to the ring to the WWF Tazz theme is just wrong.

I loved Gorilla giving Ventura crap about how excited he got winning by count out and thinking he had won the IC belt.

"You KNOW the rule, Jesse!"

I loved Gorilla giving Ventura crap about how excited he got winning by count out and thinking he had won the IC belt.

"You KNOW the rule, Jesse!"

The best part was that right after it, Jesse pouted that the rule should be changed, and Gorilla AGREED with him!

• Like 1

supreme, your writeups are fantastic.

I thought the battle royal was an embarrasing waste of my time. I liked the rest of the show a lot, though. How could you not?

I can't be mad at anything that stops me from watching a Dan Spivey v. Sid match.  Sid was never good, but he was absolutely horrible at this point, and Spivey wasn't much better.

Watching the NWO documentary on the live feed and skinny Lex shows up. Did they add new interviews to these old docs? I bought almost all the WWE DVD releases and don't remember seeing Lex before.

Or maybe I skipped it because I already had Back In Black and Monday Night Wars and all the docs on the NWO are blurring together in my mind.

Watching the NWO documentary on the live feed and skinny Lex shows up. Did they add new interviews to these old docs? I bought almost all the WWE DVD releases and don't remember seeing Lex before.

Or maybe I skipped it because I already had Back In Black and Monday Night Wars and all the docs on the NWO are blurring together in my mind.

yeah, the one they just added is nWo: the Revolution. it's just a couple years old and they did interview Luger for it. i still find Back in Black superior.

Did Sid's horrific injury not make air live on the PPV when it happened? I'm randomly watching deathbed WCW PPVs and during the match they cut to the Mystery Man getting out of Flair's limo and then Sid laying there on the mat in agony. I can't tell if WWE cut it out of the broadcast or it genuinely didn't make air live.

If it didn't make air to the people watching on PPV then I must say that really is quite the nice turn of events, however WCW fucked that up by showing it a million times the next night.

Nope, how you describe it is how it aired - action in ring, cut to the limo, return to Sid already down and out. Of all the WCW fiascos to air, it's ironic that one happened just as they were off camera.

I forget who the announcers were (besides Schiavone) but I don't recall them acknowledging it either. Although I do know announcers are told to watch the monitors and call that so incredibly - and I don't know this to be fact, just a guess - they may not have seen it themselves when it happened.

Anyway, it was obvious something happened to Sid but it wasn't until you went to scoop sites and got live reports using the phrase "Theismann-like" that you knew it was bad. I think they aired it because there was so much talk about it online they assumed people were curious and most people watching already knew how gruesome it was so they had an informed choice whether to look.

I thought the battle royal was an embarrasing waste of my time. I liked the rest of the show a lot, though. How could you not?

I can't be mad at anything that stops me from watching a Dan Spivey v. Sid match.  Sid was never good, but he was absolutely horrible at this point, and Spivey wasn't much better.

Wat.jpg

I am very glad to hear that Sid's injury is not shown on camera. I have been avoiding watching those last three WCW pay-per-views over the years even though I hear they're actually pretty decent, because I didn't want to accidentally stumble across that event.

I can't be mad at anything that stops me from watching a Dan Spivey v. Sid match.  Sid was never good, but he was absolutely horrible at this point, and Spivey wasn't much better.

Wat.jpg

You can argue about the virtues of Sid by yourself, if you like him fine, but neither of us are going to change our minds.

Wat.jpg

You can argue about the virtues of Sid by yourself, if you like him fine, but neither of us are going to change our minds.

Oh.

Fatal Four Way Wwe title match, In your house 13.

Stone Cold v Bret Hart v Undertaker v Vader.

A great match with a hot crowd and an excellent performance by Vader who had a nasty cut on the eye pretty much from the beginning of the match