DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Hayes is usually awful on the panels. Constantly interrupting and everything. I remember back in the CoD thread, the six of us that had the network would always complain about him never knowing when to not talk.

It is certainly true in my experience that he almost never has anything of value to say on these panels.

The Texas Wrestling roundtable is certainly the best. Bill Watts comes off as being really friendly and intelligent.

Flair seems incredibly insecure. The most important moment in wrestling was his debut, apparently. The most annoying thing about Flair is when prompted by JR to tell the story about Harley no-showing the first Starrcade, he refuses to. Now I'm left wondering, did Vince offer Race a truckload of money to jump to the WWF and take the belt off Backlund?

I couldn't make it through the Raw show. JR is probably my least favorite panelist after Flair. Ross is perfectly fine in the moderator role Mean Gene has but as a panelist (and every podcast I've heard him on) he comes off like he has a victim's complex and like he's out of touch.

NWO '01 continued

Eddy/Benoit/Jericho/PAC fatal 4 way - decent enough match, though the structure had inherent weakness. It causes a lot of your turn-my turn action. Triple threats have same issue. I much prefer 4-way as elimination. Also:

Fuck Benoit for being a murderer. And fuck Benoit for causing Davey Richards. Several times in the match, it was like I was looking at Davey and his so-serious face and motions.

Trish vs Steph was a lot better than it had any right to be. They only rarely fell into cat fight mode, instead amateurly but adequately throwing a lot of rasslin spots. And Regal was comedy gold at the end.

LOL at the crowd booing Trish for fixing her wedgie.

The Texas Wrestling roundtable is certainly the best. Bill Watts comes off as being really friendly and intelligent.

Flair seems incredibly insecure. The most important moment in wrestling was his debut, apparently. The most annoying thing about Flair is when prompted by JR to tell the story about Harley no-showing the first Starrcade, he refuses to. Now I'm left wondering, did Vince offer Race a truckload of money to jump to the WWF and take the belt off Backlund?

There are four or five shoots with Bill Watts over the years and they're all worth listening to. 

WrestleWar '92 was basically a two-match show, but those were two awesome matches.

What I liked about Pillman/Zenk is that it followed typical Pillman matches from '91-'92 where he and his opponent are equally sized. They start out with some mat wrestling, maybe a couple of reversals off of quickly paced moves to show how evenly matched the two guys are. Then, the pace gets ratcheted up gradually until by the end, they've gone from mat wrestling to flying everywhere, running the ropes, and hitting and missing big moves. I am a fan of that type of Pillman performance, but this match also had them work in more mat-based stuff where Pillman targeted Zenk's leg and Zenk targeted Pillman's back. I also enjoyed the friendly rivalry turned heated, which had some nice touches (like Pillman and Zenk disrespectfully slapping each other while Pillman had a figure-four on Zenk).

War Games itself was awesome as everyone already knows, so I'll just mention a couple of my favorite parts of the match:

• If you are a fan of people throwing sweet punches, this match is for you with Austin, Windham, and Rhodes all laying them in here.

• Windham finding the hard camera so he could drag a bloody Austin over to it and start biting Austin's bleeding head wound was gross as well as awesome.

• Before Eaton goes into the ring, as the countdown gets to ten, Paul E. is standing next to him psyching him up by yelling WAR over and over, faster and faster, until the time is up and Eaton enters the cage, at which point Paul E. yells WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR like a total psycho. 

Those moments alone were worth my viewing, and they are worth yours too if you have not seen this event. 

• Like 2

They just added another MSG show from 1991, and the top and bottom ropes are reversed so the top rope is blue and the bottom rope is red, it's an odd thing to get used to.

The first match is Steamboat vs. Smash, and Steamboat makes a mistake.  Not sure if he lost count or just wasn't thinking, but Smash had him in a chinlock and the ref went to raise his arm and on the third time Steamboat's arm drops, so the ref lifts his arm a fourth time and Steamboat keeps it up and powers out.  Heenan had a field day yelling at the ref about not doing his job.

Steamboat/Rude Iron Man at Beach Blast 92 is fantastic.

Wish they did more 30 man iron man matches rather than 60. This is very well booked as well, with one fall turning into two very quickly, rather than just guys exchanging pins with DDTs and transitional moves.

Doesn't get the credit it deserves in the lexicon of iron man matches.

WWE Old School: MSG 6/3/91:

Bret Hart vs The Barbarian - main storyline is that because Bobby The Brain Heenan is working commentary booth on this evening, he is allowing his protege The Barbarian to be managed for one night only by Mr. Fuji. Fuji attempts interference that backfires and causes Bret Hart to get the victory. Heenan gets upset and confronts Fuji, and then spends his commentary time on the entire next match (Jimmy Snuka vs. Bob Bradley in an extended squash) cutting an amazing, albeit racist, promo on Fuji.

http://youtu.be/v6Hfx0H1XEQ

And the show is headlined by a pretty great Hulk Hogan vs Sgt Slaughter "Desert Storm Match". Basically the same as Slaughter's "Boot Camp" matches of years prior, No DQ and loser must surrender. Hogan gets early advantage and busts Slaughter wide open. Slaughter eventually gets the advantage on his side, but is unable to capitalize on attempts to put the match away due to his blood loss from earlier, some awesome storytelling there. Ironically, Hogan ends up winning with the camel clutch, which I believe was the same finish as the "Desert Storm Match" they had at Royal Albert Hall that's on the Hulk Hogan: Unreleased Collection DVD set. After the match, a kid dressed in fatigues jumps the rails and celebrates with Hogan, and I am now left wondering which shitty ticket seller wrestler that kid became on Frank Goodman's USA Pro shows of the late '90s. I'm gonna make a completely uneducated guess and say it's Skinhead Ivan.

Started doing a little research while watching the 6/27/77 MSG show. It appears the opening match is a rare appearance of Jan Nelson who trained in a famous AWA training camp with Ricky Steamboat and from all accounts could have had a good wrestling career but was cut short from an apparent drug overdose. According to kaybfabe memories Steamboat said in a shoot interview that he heard they found Nelson's body in the bathroom at a Rolling Stones concert with a needle still stuck in his arm. He wrestles Jose Gonzalez, the man who (allegedly) murdered Bruiser Brody. While it isn't the greatest of matches it is still interesting nonetheless.

• Like 2

I'm watching the raw where the kid beats razor, I have always wondered if this was a legit match ending or an accident. How does history change if this doesn't happen, razor may never turn face, which probably means no ladder matches with hbk, no 123 kid vs Bret classic, maybe no syxx four years later. Oh and the other jobbers of the night are future thrasher and future scotty 2 hotty, interesting night along with hbk vs jannety

I'm watching the raw where the kid beats razor, I have always wondered if this was a legit match ending or an accident. How does history change if this doesn't happen, razor may never turn face, which probably means no ladder matches with hbk, no 123 kid vs Bret classic, maybe no syxx four years later. Oh and the other jobbers of the night are future thrasher and future scotty 2 hotty, interesting night along with hbk vs jannety

It was intended, partly because the Kid had became a character over time, and it was a move to make it feel more like "must see TV" If this little jobber kid can beat Razor Ramon, ANYTHING could happen on Raw.

Also, Razor was turning face sooner rather than later regardless. He was already getting big face heat well before the turn. I watched a Raw from some months earlier - the one prior to Mania 9 - and heel Razor was getting a "Razor!" chant. If memory serves, he was cheered over Backlund at Mania, too.

Funny, I just got to the Raw with Waltman's debut as the "Kamikaze Kid" jobbing to Doink. Love how they set up that angle. Also, this ep has fat out of shape Duggan beating HBK via count out then attempting to stage a sit in because he didn't win the title. Needless to say he is no Daniel Bryan.

When did WWE decide that THEY AREN'T BELTS, DAMNIT, THEY ARE CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Because watching this Legends of Wrestling roundtable on the history of Monday Night RAW, I noticed during a hype video they showed for the Austin-Rock feud leading into WrestleMania 15, both guys referred to Austin's Smoking Skull title as a "belt" about a dozen times.

I'm watching the Slamboree Legends PPV, I think from 1993, and this Dory Funk Jr./Nick Bockwinkel match ended up being super-awesome. There's a fifteen minute time limit, and the last four minutes or so were really exciting, with a slew of 2.9s and reversals. I was actually mad that the ref let Gene Kiniski, seconding Funk, stomp Bock in full sight of the referee with no DQ, so they sucked me right in!

When did WWE decide that THEY AREN'T BELTS, DAMNIT, THEY ARE CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Because watching this Legends of Wrestling roundtable on the history of Monday Night RAW, I noticed during a hype video they showed for the Austin-Rock feud leading into WrestleMania 15, both guys referred to Austin's Smoking Skull title as a "belt" about a dozen times.

Well, the Smoking Skull was a belt, not a championship/title.

WWF The Big Event '86

Rougeau's versus Dream Team is pretty darn good, mainly thanks to the Rougeau's and Valentine. Talk about a ref dragging a match down though. Not sure who this guy is, but he ruins every hot count spot with super slow counting on his part, kind of makes the kick outs suck when they happen at a one instead of two and three/fourths.

• Like 1

Hogan vs. Slaughter "Desert Storm Match" @ MSG was cool. I like that Hulk wasted no time and threw salt/sand/whatever into his eyes before the fucking bell even rang. He would later use a FIREBALL attack. Decent match but I didn't like the finish. I thought Hogan/Flair from MSG was a better match. Still, it's incredible that people held on to this notion that Hogan "can't work" all those years. Who started that? pretty much everything Hogan was involved in during this first Hulkamania run is awesome.