DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

What do you mean Norman Smiley was a joke?  He was great towards the end of WCW, especially as the hardcore champion.

I don't recall that time period in WCW all that fondly, it has been however years since I've seen anything from that era. I do remember Smiley being played up as a joke though, and being in nothing but mediocre hardcore matches. That's the opposite of the guy I just watched flash his stuff in StarrCade '90.

What do you mean Norman Smiley was a joke?  He was great towards the end of WCW, especially as the hardcore champion.

I don't recall that time period in WCW all that fondly, it has been however years since I've seen anything from that era. I do remember Smiley being played up as a joke though, and being in nothing but mediocre hardcore matches. That's the opposite of the guy I just watched flash his stuff in StarrCade '90.

Yeah, he was mostly a comedy worker, but he was great as the hardcore champ that was scared to death of all the other guys in the division. He would come to the ring in full football or hockey gear, and just be a huge goof.  He was one of those guys who was in a position that seemed hopeless, but he made the most out of it and got really over.  It got to the point where the big wiggle was one of the biggest guaranteed pops of the night every show. 

So I went and watched Umaga vs John Cena from the Royal Rumble because I never saw it before. Goddamn what a violent match. Umaga's punches looked so stiff and the spot where Cena chucks the stairs at Umaga's head when Umaga's outside the ring was insane. My only complaint was the finish. That finish was...disturbing. At the same time, it wasn't that disturbing because on the first go round, Umaga did the shittiest sell of being choked to death. On the second try, he does a better job, but how quickly he got up between the two tries took me out of it a bit. Still, a great match. I don't think it's Cena's best, but it's in the top 10 for him for sure.

I meant to ask:

I have seen talk of chapter markers within shows. I have yet to find one as an option. Are there any shows yet where we can quick FF to specific segments or matches? On desktop, roku, or iphone?

I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason as to which shows have markers and which don't. I think most of the WWF/E ppv's do. I haven't seen too many WCW ppvs that have markers but some do. The WCCW shows have markers if I'm not mistaken. I'm watching on PS3 btw.

So I went and watched Umaga vs John Cena from the Royal Rumble because I never saw it before. Goddamn what a violent match. Umaga's punches looked so stiff and the spot where Cena chucks the stairs at Umaga's head when Umaga's outside the ring was insane. My only complaint was the finish. That finish was...disturbing. At the same time, it wasn't that disturbing because on the first go round, Umaga did the shittiest sell of being choked to death. On the second try, he does a better job, but how quickly he got up between the two tries took me out of it a bit. Still, a great match. I don't think it's Cena's best, but it's in the top 10 for him for sure.

That was 2007, right? IIRC, it was the year Cena some folks began to re-examine him as a talented worker and not just a guy shoved down our throats week after week. He was soon to have two great matches with Shawn (RAW and Mania). I am sure there were others.

I hope the Network begins to include the official comp videos with matches, and not just the docus. Or maybe they are, and I haven't noticed? I know the matches are almost never on the netflix versions, unless that too has changed recently.

I meant to ask:

I have seen talk of chapter markers within shows. I have yet to find one as an option. Are there any shows yet where we can quick FF to specific segments or matches? On desktop, roku, or iphone?

I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason as to which shows have markers and which don't. I think most of the WWF/E ppv's do. I haven't seen too many WCW ppvs that have markers but some do. The WCCW shows have markers if I'm not mistaken. I'm watching on PS3 btw.

I'll check it out, thanks. I have only watched WCW ppv's, the stream, or some of the "in ring" programs so far since I signed up last week. I did watch Rumble 2012 match when I first got it, but I don't recall chapter markers in that one. I had to FF to the match.

On another note, looks like the stream is playing a mini World Class marathon this morning. I am confused about the times, as it lists EST. But what's on never seems to match my time conversions to MST. It's frustrating because I am not 100% certain what time the MainEvent/NXT/Superstars block actually starts tonight if I want to watch them in real time.

That was 2007, right? IIRC, it was the year Cena some folks began to re-examine him as a talented worker and not just a guy shoved down our throats week after week. He was soon to have two great matches with Shawn (RAW and Mania). I am sure there were others.

I hope the Network begins to include the official comp videos with matches, and not just the docus. Or maybe they are, and I haven't noticed? I know the matches are almost never on the netflix versions, unless that too has changed recently.

Yep, 2007. The Cena vs HBK match from Wrestlemania was top notch, but again, I'm biased since I was there.

Jerry Lawler "cribs" on right now. I love his Coca-Cola collection.  I, too, have always been a fan of the art, especially their Santas.

And he loves GWTW, too?  Great fun watching him out of character, just being a bit of a geek.

My next month's sub is now justified.

Planning to watch from Survivor Series 96-97 PPV wise. It's so weird to see that Furnas/Lafon push. Also of note so far is Leif Cassidy/Al Snow killing himself to get over in the opening match of the It's Time PPV against Flash Funk, and how over SID was in MSG against Michaels.

I was watching Legend's Faction episode, man Flair hates Shane Douglas. Really surprised Foley didn't say anything, as Flair just buried him. 

He also told several pointless, rambling stories about getting drunk and staying up all night. It's like having a college freshman on the panel.

Just a general question in reference to territories while I'm watching some WCCW - who's tape libraries are still up for grabs/not owned by Vince yet? I know GWF is still being shown on ESPN Classic so I'm guessing they still own that. I don't know who exactly owns Houston Wrestling (Paul Boesch). Any other notables come to mind?

Watching King of the Ring 96 (you know, that one), and holy shit, Mero was on fucking fire before he blew his knee out and essencially killed his career.

Its also really odd to see Austin in WWF without the Glass Breaking music.  He was still using his Ringmaster music here.

How many times did Ric have to reiterate that Douglas was working at Walmart? Finally someone was like "yeah, I heard you.."

But I'll bet Douglas isn't 6 figures in debt, either.

I believe he is also happily married as well.

Yeah, but did he parade around a hotel in a bedazzled bath robe with some sluts? 

• Like 1

Watch Cena/Khali from Judgment Day for a truly amazing Cena performance. He was channeling something divine during his main events that year until he injured himself.