DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Best of RAW is showing the "Vince buys WCW episode of RAW". The Network really needs to start running the old Nitro episodes

Is there any reason they haven't put up any WCW shows yet?  I'd love to see some of the old Crockett TV and Nitros leading up to some of these PPVs. Another thing why aren't the TV archives released in order, they should put up a group of television shows that lead to an event.  Here is an idea, have Thursday night be the night where you show an old PPV from WCW or ECW and show the shows leading up to it Monday -Wednesday.  It would give the shows more context, and probably increase viewership.

I've always felt Renee Young will end up with ESPN. She's way better at hosting than either Erin Andrews or Michelle Beadle. I don't know what WWE is paying her but it's probably not enough.

She is really good, they should give her a kayfabe sit down interview show on The Network.  It would be like those interviews the did back in the day with Jim Ross with Foley and Goldust.  It could really get a lot of guys who don't promo very well over.  So when the Real Americans break up she can interview Cesaro about coming to America to pursue his dream to become a wrestler.  He'd talk about how Zeb brainwashed him into thinking that being an American was a specific thing, when what it really means to be an American is that you can be anything you want.  They could do 2 15 minute interviews focusing on a specific fued, especially guys who aren't that good on the mic like Cesaro and Swagger.

Battlebowl 91. What's interesting to me is the ads for Superbrawl during this PPV. I had kind of forgotten about how WCW was trying to build this up as their Wrestlemania/Superbowl during this time, rather than Starrcade.

After watching Renee in the booth for the Emma/Charlotte match, she's starting to look like she's the new female Okerlund.

I think she's the best in that position that they've had since he left in '93.

Would she go to ESPN? I thought making it to WWE was her goal. They've already utilized her in her short tenure better than the Coachman's and Grisham's of the world, and rightfully so.

-J\/\/

She brings a lot of credibility to the WWE.

No clue why they haven't put up any NWA or WCW TV. On due time I guess.

From the illegal streams I would use to watch RAW back in the day, Renee would come on the Canadian pre-game show on The Score and she was alright even back then. I didn't realize she was only 12 days younger than and that she studied improv at the Second City in Chicago if Wikipedia is to be believed.

Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan and Randy Savage talking about Hogan's eye injury at WrestleMania IX is hilarious.

Jim Ross: someone really did a number on him

Heenan: Someone could of dropped a blade on his face, shower door could of wacked him in the chops

Savage: Those are things that didn't happen

• Like 2

WrestleWar 92. Steiners beating the shit out of Fujinami and Iizuka, The Freebirds being awesome, Flyin' Brian being one of the best in the world at this point having an awesome match with Z-Man, Flamingo and Bagwell,  Johnny B. Badd's magnificent cape and that fucking main event. Is there a better show in 1992 than this?

After watching Renee in the booth for the Emma/Charlotte match, she's starting to look like she's the new female Okerlund.

I think she's the best in that position that they've had since he left in '93.

Would she go to ESPN? I thought making it to WWE was her goal. They've already utilized her in her short tenure better than the Coachman's and Grisham's of the world, and rightfully so.

-J\/\/

She also prob the advantage of not being bullied or harassed on-camera, like Cole, Coach, Grisham, Josh or any other male announcer. I dpubt in 2014 public-traded WWE with its women execs want to deal with blantant misogyny.

Watched King of the Ring '98 last night.  I hadn't watched Mankind/Undertaker HIC in a long time, but dammit if Jim Ross doesn't have one of the best calls ever:

Ross: Good God!!!  GOOD GOD!!!

Lawler: That's it.  He's dead.

Ross: WILL SOMEBODY STOP THE DAMN MATCH!!!  ENOUGH'S ENOUGH!!!

I still get chills listening to the passion in his voice.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that Renee Young will be the breakout star due to all of her WWE Network exposure?  I think she is going to end up more than just some "behind the curtains" interviewer soon enough.

I can't think of the last good female interviewer in mainstream pro wrestling. TNA had a lot of shitty ones and WWE has never had one that wasn't just a glorified mic stand (though I remember Terri Runnels being pretty good- reviews via WWE Network may change my nostalgic view). Renee is believable in her role and doesn't come off as a mark, trying too hard (TNA Lauren), or as if she is trying to take away from the person she is interviewing by trying to subtly get herself over (TNA Christy Hemme). She is good in my book and I hope to see more of her. There is literally no way WWE can make her unbearable unless someone in the back who has a degree in communications starts getting salty and decides to have Renee run the 'Maria' interviewer gimmick that also includes Renee spitting out all the corporate WWE lingo ad nauseam while trying to be Trish Stratus 'funny'.

I honestly hope she becomes the face of WWE Network and let those terrible guys calling Raw stay as the face and voice of the TV/PPV product. WWE Network is new and clean and should not sullied. Renee is doing a good job!

Does anyone else think that Renee Young will be the breakout star due to all of her WWE Network exposure?  I think she is going to end up more than just some "behind the curtains" interviewer soon enough.

I can't think of the last good female interviewer in mainstream pro wrestling. TNA had a lot of shitty ones and WWE has never had one that wasn't just a glorified mic stand (though I remember Terri Runnels being pretty good- reviews via WWE Network may change my nostalgic view). Renee is believable in her role and doesn't come off as a mark, trying too hard (TNA Lauren), or as if she is trying to take away from the person she is interviewing by trying to subtly get herself over (TNA Christy Hemme). She is good in my book and I hope to see more of her. There is literally no way WWE can make her unbearable unless someone in the back who has a degree in communications starts getting salty and decides to have Renee run the 'Maria' interviewer gimmick that also includes Renee spitting out all the corporate WWE lingo ad nauseam while trying to be Trish Stratus 'funny'.

I honestly hope she becomes the face of WWE Network and let those terrible guys calling Raw stay as the face and voice of the TV/PPV product. WWE Network is new and clean and should not sullied. Renee is doing a good job!

Lauren from TNA, man. She was fun.

Watched King of the Ring '98 last night.  I hadn't watched Mankind/Undertaker HIC in a long time, but dammit if Jim Ross doesn't have one of the best calls ever:

Ross: Good God!!!  GOOD GOD!!!

Lawler: That's it.  He's dead.

Ross: WILL SOMEBODY STOP THE DAMN MATCH!!!  ENOUGH'S ENOUGH!!!

I still get chills listening to the passion in his voice.

I've been watching a lot of Foley matches lately, and this one still stands the test of time. The two big spots at the beginning are just as sick now as they were 16 years ago, and the chaos between them actually puts a lot of emotion behind them. The rest of the match stays together surprisingly well given the condition of the competitors. The spot where Foley tries to grab the steps, but can't pick them up, and Taker follows by ramming the steps repeatedly into Foley's injured shoulder was choice. They were moving like molasses but it was 100% believable that it was due to the match, not two guys being out of shape. The piledriver on the chair looked nice and made a good sound, and the tack spots actually provided a worthy finish which would seem impossible given how the match started. The visuals of Foley busted up smiling in the corner and getting off the stretcher post match are timeless as well.

And yes, this is probably JR's best announcing performance ever. Before, during, and after he was just spitting out epic lines that straddled the boundary of great fictional storytelling and not being too cheesy. I've re-watched this probably 3 or 4 times since the network came out, just a wonderful display of pro wrestling story telling, even if the hardcore aspects won't be for everyone. Depending on your parameters for the attitude era, there's a good case for this match being the best from that time frame.

I'd write out some more epic JR quotes, but there's just too many. You just have to watch it.

I watched the latest Top 10 - Top 10 Entrances this evening. Can't really quibble with the choices although in my heart I wanted The Brood to sneak into the top 10 somehow. Found it funny they spent a good portion of the Goldberg segment talking about the people who parodied his entrance and how he was a big baby about it.

My favorite part of that episode was Ryback making an appearance (maybe his only one on the show) to introduce Gillberg by saying "WWE's knockoff of Goldberg was..."

Santino also had some funny lines in this. "I don't want to fight a dragon."

This episode of ECW TV just opened up with 911 choke slamming motherfuckers all over the place while Heyman cheered on.

What a visual. I had never seen that before and it came off looking ridiculously awesome.

Man I completely forgot about the Magnum TA tribute video they did before the Flair vs Nikita title match.  Man if that was shown live to the crowd, you would have to think Nikita was winning the belt being there.    Although I can't tell if that was his mom or wife on the beach.   :P   I assume that was WWE canned music although it was really good

More awesome Starrcade undercards, this time in '86: Nelson Royal/Tim Horner v. Don and Rocky Kernodle. There's an awesome sleeper hold/top rope sunset flip combo. Quick, really fun match that you need to watch.

How's this for a random tag team: Baron Von Raschke and Hector Guerrero? (against the Barbarian and Shaska Whatley nonetheless)