DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] What Are You Watching?

RIPPA

Rockers/Express is awesome, as is the Bossman/Barbarian match that follows.  Probably my favorite big man match, I love everything about it.  After that, though, the card is pretty meh.  The Rumble itself is just blah, pretty much nothing happens, they build up the ring to about 10 guys right away and it stays that way the whole time, no real story to it at all.

Didn't care about WWE redubbing over the music until I watched the SuperBrawl 2000 segment with Cat and James Brown. The new music they inserted is just lame and kills the vibe of the entire thing. The adding in of the new track lessed the sound of the pop James Brown received when he started dancing.

YOU SHOULD INITIATE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT

I eagerly await you starting your own WWE Network show watching club just to further troll HC.

• Like 1

I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the McMahon in Every Corner build right up until the match itself. The feud/match occurred right as I was really starting to follow wrestling news on The Internet, but I was super stoked for the match. If I had to rank my personal top 3 matches I anticipated the most, in no particular order...

Sting/Hogan from Starrcade

Fatal Four Way from WrestleMania 2000

Austin/HBK from WrestleMania 14

Didn't care about WWE redubbing over the music until I watched the SuperBrawl 2000 segment with Cat and James Brown. The new music they inserted is just lame and kills the vibe of the entire thing. The adding in of the new track lessed the sound of the pop James Brown received when he started dancing.

I'm watching the Great American Bash of 1996 and I'm seeing a lot of overdubbing of music. I mean, they kept pre-Dungeon Of Doom Konnan's music but did away with the Steiners theme, which was created by WCW if I'm not mistaken.

Also, is it just me or did Dusty say the word "situation" a helluva fucking lot during commentary?

On the Johnny B Badd talk, I never got why he was hated on and never got why Foley was bitter about him being given more money when they came to WWF - Wildman was HOT until he went off with knee surgery and came back as the boxer

I think I'm the only one who enjoyed the McMahon in Every Corner build right up until the match itself. The feud/match occurred right as I was really starting to follow wrestling news on The Internet, but I was super stoked for the match. If I had to rank my personal top 3 matches I anticipated the most, in no particular order...

I really enjoyed the match itself, I like how they dovetailed the major feuds at the time and tied it in to the McMahon Saga.  I thought the little alliances made sense in the match and JR did a great job of driving them home.  I think it was at the part where Shane comes back and has a side-brawl with Vince that it started to take a little of the air out of the match.  But to be honest the McMahon Saga was as much of a part of the WWF as the wrestling, so it certainly made sense to be there.

I enjoyed it as well, especially because HHH won.

If I had watched it when it came out, 18 year old me would have been quite the angry internet wrestling fan,  Now though I really appreciate Triple H's role in the match.  He was really great as the conniving opportunist.

Wrestlemania XX, I liked it although it does have that "weird kissing your sister" vibe celebrating Benoit's title win and  and such.  Forgot how I actually enjoyed the build up tot the Goldberg vs. Lesnar match. 

Watching streaming of the 2013 Rumble because I want to see the Smackdown coming up after it. Rock/Punk suuuuuuuucked. Rock looks terrible, Punk in control on offense for long stretches is borderline unwatchable. The crowd was hot as hell to start, but it got quieter the longer these two had a shitty match.The best part of this thing is whenever Heyman gets involved. Watching the WWEN and seeing managers being awesome so often makes me want everyone to have a manager on the current shows.

Quick story.  So my fiance, completely supportive of this crazy wrestling stuff, is trying to learn more about it so she can watch it more with me.  She asked me to show her a good example of (she pulls a name out of thin air) Stone Cold Steve Austin.  I hit up WWE Network on the Apple TV and cue up WrestleMania 13.  FF to Austin vs. Bret submission match, and bam.

I just love the fact that I'm now able to do something like that.  

I also saw the Blow Away Diet again, and that always makes me happy.  I love me some Buddy Rose.

I really enjoyed the match itself, I like how they dovetailed the major feuds at the time and tied it in to the McMahon Saga.  I thought the little alliances made sense in the match and JR did a great job of driving them home.  I think it was at the part where Shane comes back and has a side-brawl with Vince that it started to take a little of the air out of the match.  But to be honest the McMahon Saga was as much of a part of the WWF as the wrestling, so it certainly made sense to be there.

I didn't love the match itself, but a lot of that was because I was a HUGE Rock fan and was furious/astonished when Triple H won. I just re-watched it yesterday and I thought the match was kinda blah until it came down to just Rock and HHH and then both guys did their usual awesome stuff. The Vince/Shane brawl was the absolute worst.

Starrcade 94. Hard to believe they sold a PPV with Hulk Hogan vs. Brutus Beefcake as the main event.

I will never get tired of hearing Tony scream "IT'S BROTHER BRUTI!!!!!!!" when Hogan unmasks him as the evil masked assailant during the highlight video of their feud.

Bunkhouse Stampede

I've never seen it, somehow. Disappointed by Eaton/Koloff. Enjoyed Zbyszko/Windham and Hawk/Flair.

Caudle reading the credits while they set up the cage is amusing for some reason. Stampede is about to start...

This is definitely a better show than I'd heard over the years. Some shitty finishes, I guess, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

so that two-ring battle royale that opens the Great American Bash 1989 makes TNA's reverse battle royale(s) look like the '92 Rumble. Ranger Ross eliminating Ron Simmons made me sick a little bit. The next 3 matches helped my decision to turn off the show early.

And the final two-ish hours, starting with Steiners/Rotunda-Sullivan, is as good as wrestling gets. Sting-Muta, Luger-Steamboat, War Games, and Flair-Funk are all awesome matches with great builds. The first hour did drag a bit, but it's still an unbelievably good show on the whole.

• Like 1

I started watching Fall Brawl 1994 before the Oscars and finished when I got home today. More thoughts in bullet point fashion!

- Show starts with Mean Gene announcing WCW champ Hogan won't be there. Every mention of Hogan's name is greeted by loud vociferous booing as the backlash against Hogan is in full swing.

Later they recap why Hogan won't be there. Evidently WCW saw the ratings for Kerrigan-Harding earlier that year and decided to swipe it for an angle with Hogan getting his knee bashed by a "mystery assailant" before a title defense. Minus a billion points to Hogan for not crying and blubbering, "Why me!!!"

- A few people were talking Johnny B. Badd. My last ppv (World War 3 '95) had Johnny defending the TV belt against DDP. This is the show where he won it from William (Steve) Regal. Great match as you'd expect as Regal was so damn good and Badd could go. I understand Foley bitching about Mero receiving a huge free agent deal from Vince but watching his work, I can't blame Vince because guys with his look and wrestling ability are EXACTLY the kind of talent you try to steal.

- Gene "interviews" Hogan to set up the main event of the next show (Flair-Hogan in a cage) and it's REALLY obvious the segment is pre-taped. You want a clue as to why Hogan was so disliked? He calls Ric Flair on the phone to challenge him to a match. Ric is surrounded by four crazy hot babes while Hogan is in the gym....with Jimmy Hart. He tries to run down Flair by saying he's messing with women while the Hulkster "is hangin' and bangin'."

I'm pretty sure Flair was doing some sort of banging. Amazing that nobody in charge realized how much cooler Ric came across.

- Speaking of cool, they interview the heel team for Wargames: Terry Funk, Bunkhouse Buck, AA, and...Colonel Parker. Parker's bodyguard is Meng. I know a lot of people love THE MONSTA MENG but I wish I could screen cap Meng here because words can't describe how incredibly pimp he looked in his black suit (sleeveless, of course) with slicked back hair and Ray Bans.

- Of course, this show is most (in)famous for two young guys who would be key parts of the WWF Attitude Era getting jobbed out so Hogan could populate the roster with his old washed up friends. Cactus Jack makes his final WCW appearance, losing a Loser Leaves WCW match to Kevin Sullivan (and taking an insane flip bump from the middle turnbuckle to the exposed concrete for kicks) while Austin is awarded the US Title when Steamboat can't go from the shoot back injury that retired him until '09 only to turn around and job the belt to Hacksaw Duggan thirty seconds later.

-  One guy who wasn't washed up was Bossman, now called Guardian Angel. Funny part as Heenan accidentally calls him "Bossman" during the match but tries to cover by saying, "Bossman, I mean, if I was the bossman of WCW, I wouldn't have these two fight." and Schiavone for once plays along.

Vader and Bossman - who is huge/fat here - still have a great little match between two guys who hit hard and move amazingly well for their size. Bossman could still go at this point. Vader eventually wins so he gets Sting. They have an even better match as Vader beats the bejeezus out of Sting and Sting sells like a champ. Vader had AMAZING cardio as he did two matches back-to-back yet kept the action moving the entire time. No 1985 WWF style 10 minute bearhugs or anything, he was still taking release Germans 20 minutes in. Anyway, the ending was kinda dopey as they had a "sudden death" period where the winner was the first to knock his opponent off his feet. Regardless, the crowd was going NUTS by the sudden death period (Sting's selling was incredible). The Masked Man from the Hogan angle Tonya Hardings Sting when the ref isn't looking so I guess Vader gets to be buried by Hogan at a later date.

- Finally, War Games as Dusty and Dustin Rhodes (Dusty namedrops CODY in a pre-match promo!) team with more Friends of Hulk (the Nasties) against the aforementioned heels. Right off the bat it's clear Heenan is in full "Don't Give A Shit" mode because he has no idea how Wargames works and even Tony calls him out on it. The Pillman KO is a famous spot from another match and I'm surprised nobody in WCW ever realized what a bad idea it was to have the roof so low. The roof in this match is so low, Dustin can reach up and grab it standing flat in the middle of the ring. Anyway, nothing was topping that Triangle Match and with Col. Parker in the mix, the finish was super-obvious. Not a particularly good Wargames but the undercard made up for it. 

They dubbed over the Three Doors Down song on WrestleMania 21 :(. It totally ruined one of the best highlight packages they have ever done

Sad to hear as that was one of my all time favorite video packages. Watched WM 22 & 25 and the show-closing video package is definitely something I wish they would bring back, that was always awesome. Also on video packages, good to see the HHH/Orton feud video again as I realized that's the one that included the clips of the McMahons/Legacy brawl set to ACDC's "War Machine", always loved that and couldn't ever find it thinking it was in the Backlash build. 

I watched that match recently and it looks like they are walking along a plywood surface to the scaffold which should lend to good footing. Capture the flag rules is what really kills this because you know nobody is going to take the big bump.

Steve Austin talked about the match on his podcast with Dave Meltzer.  Apparently they sent the wrong scaffolding to the show and it was much smaller than the usual rigging was to the point that they couldn't even pretend to fall off because they probably would (which is why it turned into a capture the flag match.) 

Unless it was billed as that all along and Austin is just BSing.