DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] Technical and General Content Question/Comments

RIPPA

It could be that Rogers gave WWE enough money (Canadian) to make it worth their while, but I kind of doubt it.

They signed a ten year exclusive deal just after doing something similar with the NHL. They definitely made it worth it for Vince.

Rogers will sell the package to other cable companies in time but for now, you need to be a Rogers customer (and get a two week free trial including SummerSlam) and it doesn't seem like they have the access to the library through PC/digital devices yet. Unless the author of that article didn't do his homework, but I doubt it. Rogers hasn't had much publicity for this at all. Shit, a large portion of the country doesn't even have the option to get Rogers' cable service, including my dumbass. 

The new monthly charge for a single month is $12.99. Still $9.99 a month for the 6 month commitment. And in the newsletter Meltzer said Nitros will be going up on the network in 6 weeks. I gonna wait and see on that one.

Does that make it in line with the Raw's?

This was the most problems I had with the stream since NXT Arrival.

It wasn't incredibly terrible, but it froze multiple times, and a couple of times the picture froze and the sound didn't, followed by a speed ramp of the picture to sync back up.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with problems streaming last night. I couldn't even get it to work on a hardwired computer. This month in general has been mostly troublesome with streaming anything live or in the VOD section. Defiantly not a good thing to have happen so close to when everyone's subscription is about to run out (who didn't find a way to cancel early).

Got the Canadian version of the network. It's great that it's on my tv, and I won't ever have to worry about streaming/buffering...but the on demand content thus far is pretty disappointing (Although it's only been a week, I'm assuming the will be beefing up content soon)

Yeah, it'd be nice to have the option of having the Network on cable but without the library it's a weak deal knowing the yankees have that incredible vault of awesomeness. Once they do the HBO Go thing with the digital library and Rogers sells rights of coverage to other providers, things will be gravy. In the meantime, I just reupped for another 6 months and will continue to use unblock us.

So for some reason they don't have the 5th episode of Smackdown 1999.   Not sure what is on the show that would have required either more work or just missing it.   Hopefully it gets put up for those people who say they can't watch unless they are all in order

If I had only paid $12.99 for Summer Slam I would have been pretty annoyed with the quality. The video when I was watching Sunday night was bad enough that I couldn't read the hashtags on the screen. I ended up not watching the last two matches till Monday and the video was still a bit fuzzy. I imagine that it is hard to stress test a system like this but they're putting a lot of their future on this system and bad press and impressions are hard to recover from.

If I had only paid $12.99 for Summer Slam I would have been pretty annoyed with the quality. The video when I was watching Sunday night was bad enough that I couldn't read the hashtags on the screen. I ended up not watching the last two matches till Monday and the video was still a bit fuzzy. I imagine that it is hard to stress test a system like this but they're putting a lot of their future on this system and bad press and impressions are hard to recover from.

I wonder if they got an influx of one time only subscribers which led to the freeze.

Was speaking with someone about network who is "in the know." Nothing we didn't already piece together ourselves.

WWE shot themselves in the foot a number of times.

-Someone floated the 1 million sign up number which wasn't realistic. This minimizes the enormous success of the network. Getting 600k plus sign ups was incredibly impressive for this type of service.

-Approx. 1/3rd of the initial sign ups were not auto renew and the real dangling carrot is mania. So there was widespread panic that the numbers of existing subscribers were/are about to fall off a cliff.

-The six month commitment should've been a 12 month commitment. There is no way they are going to keep the numbers up.

-Due to the wrestling demographic (young and/or poor) the number of people giving false info was much higher than the industry average for online streaming services. Like several times.

Apparently because the network is charged on a monthly basis way more people than youd expect used something like one of those visa gift cards with 10 bucks on them and false personal info. This way the first month ( mania ) is without a hitch and when the second month comes around nobody is home.