DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] Technical and General Content Question/Comments

RIPPA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/netflix-4q-2012_n_2536643.html

This is from a year ago, when Netflix total subscribers was at 29M, and streaming customers at 27M. So it's safe to say a year later 30M people are streaming Netflix. But (again), 1M can't figure out how to stream WWEN? That's just too implausible given the numbers.

Honestly, I enjoy your perspective even though we disagree, but I don't want to clog up this thread. I'll post one last time here, but maybe we can continue this elsewhere.

I do want to note that the article you cited says: The surge in new customers left Netflix with 27.1 million U.S. subscribers to its service that streams movies and TV shows to Internet-connected devices.

This says that there are 27.1M subscribers to this service, and then it describes the service as a streaming service, which isn't entirely accurate (there is also the mail-in portion of the service). It doesn't say that there are 27.1M people streaming Netflix. 

Anyway, I heard that the number was about 55% streamers of total Netflix subscribers at last count, but I need to find the source where it says that. I know that I read it fairly recently. In any case, Apple TV is only in 10M homes, Roku in 5M. I believe those are the two most popular streaming devices/options for television. I wonder how many people stream Netflix through their TVs and how many who do stream just do it through laptops or phones because they don't know how to get apps on their TV. With laptops and phones, it's easy - just click to add your app or go to the Netflix website. Unless you have a smart TV, which many people don't, you have to get a whole other device, which adds an extra step that some people just might not know how to do. 

I read one email online where a fan was complaining that he couldn't just get WWEN on cable because he didn't want to watch on his laptop. This is an incredibly small sample size, obviously, but I have a hunch that there is a sizable enough group of people that think like this. 

Anyway, I know we're getting off-topic here, but I really enjoyed the discussion, and if we don't get to continue it, thanks for making me think about my position. 'Twas fun.  :) 

Anyway, I heard that the number was about 55% streamers of total Netflix subscribers at last count, but I need to find the source where it says that. I know that I read it fairly recently. In any case, Apple TV is only in 10M homes, Roku in 5M. I believe those are the two most popular streaming devices/options for television. I wonder how many people stream Netflix through their TVs and how many who do stream just do it through laptops or phones because they don't know how to get apps on their TV. With laptops and phones, it's easy - just click to add your app or go to the Netflix website. Unless you have a smart TV, which many people don't, you have to get a whole other device, which adds an extra step that some people just might not know how to do

Just thought I'd correct you on that.

I believe they are, since I was watching SuperBrawl 3 and it has the fake music for Johnny B. Badd and Cactus Jack. I think they cut back on the amount they were doing in order to better prepare for WrestleMania in an "all hands on deck" sorta thing. I imagine they'll get back to it now that WrestleMania is over.

EDIT:

I lied about SuperBrawl 3. I was watching on my Roku and it had the stock music, but on my computer it has the fixed theme. I don't know what the issue is with the Roku and WWE Network, but between not displaying all of the vault shows and playing some of the unfixed events, it's kinda annoying. Guess I should just be thankful that WrestleMania largely worked fine.

I noticed this morning that they did take down some ECW Hardcore TV from the on-demand on the Roku, as I went back to finish an episode from December 1994 that I had started and it was gone. It looked like they had taken at least 10-15 episodes down from the second half of 1994.

Most recent episode of Hardcore TV for me on the Roku is episode 71 (August 23, 1994). I just looked online and it used to have episodes from 1995, but it also stops at episode 71. The direct links from the Reddit WWE Network Wiki still work for the 1995 episodes. Guess they're doing maintenance or something.

Simple question, does WWE own the Stampede Wrestling library?

I believe so.  They showed the TV show on WWE On Demand, and some matches have popped up on DVDs.  They showed mostly late 70s early 80s.  I would love to see the late 80s stuff when Owen and Benoit were breaking in. 

I believe Bret still owns some parts, like his own matches.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Are they still taking down shows and putting them back up after tweaking them a bit? I'm working my way through all the vault PPVs and I'm up to 1994, but I noticed there's no Starrcade listing for that year.

They were, but the version of Starrcade 1994 that was up was only three minutes long (due to someone messing up, I'd assume). I imagine they're fixing that.

I'm watching the RAW where Tyson appeared and was confronted by Austin on the live stream right now and there is NO commentary at all. I noticed that Kevin Kelly is at ringside with Ross and Cole but no audio commentary. Is this common?

I'm watching the RAW where Tyson appeared and was confronted by Austin on the live stream right now and there is NO commentary at all. I noticed that Kevin Kelly is at ringside with Ross and Cole but no audio commentary. Is this common?

So it doesn't have JR yelling "TYSON AND AUSTIN!" when they got into their scuffle?

Starrcade 94 is by design.

How so?

I was being snarky because the show was so bad that they were saving people from accidentally watching it.

Still not working on Chromebooks, so I kind of feel like I've pissed my money away signing up for six months.  I stream through Chromecast.  Assuming this is going to get fixed, but if not, I'm canceling.  Too much of a pain in the ass managing this through a tablet plugged into my TV. 

I would imagine they're gonna release a native Chromecast app eventually. But even so, I don't use a Chromecast so I might be wrong, but can't you just open up a tab in your computer and screencast The Network to your TV instead of connecting the tablet?

I believe they are, since I was watching SuperBrawl 3 and it has the fake music for Johnny B. Badd and Cactus Jack. I think they cut back on the amount they were doing in order to better prepare for WrestleMania in an "all hands on deck" sorta thing. I imagine they'll get back to it now that WrestleMania is over.

EDIT:

I lied about SuperBrawl 3. I was watching on my Roku and it had the stock music, but on my computer it has the fixed theme. I don't know what the issue is with the Roku and WWE Network, but between not displaying all of the vault shows and playing some of the unfixed events, it's kinda annoying. Guess I should just be thankful that WrestleMania largely worked fine.

I was just about to ask about different content showing up in different places before I saw this post. I also use a Roku (the Roku 2 to be exact) and was checking the Network lineup through my laptop and noticed that the Smackdown from 2007 with Edge's MitB cash-in on UT is available through my laptop, but not through the Roku.

I've also noticed they're putting up a ton of RAWs. They seem to have all of 2012 & 2013 available, plus all of 1993 now.

EDIT: ...and the dates for the 1993 RAWs are all of by a day, but correct on the Roku.

I would imagine they're gonna release a native Chromecast app eventually. But even so, I don't use a Chromecast so I might be wrong, but can't you just open up a tab in your computer and screencast The Network to your TV instead of connecting the tablet?

The only way to get it to play on a Chromebook at all right now is to run Linux on your device.  Apparently it was something the WWE did to fix their XBox problems, which led to them being incompatible with the current version of Chrome on a Chromebook.  And you've got very little flexibility with updates/etc. on a Chromebook.  I do imagine it will get fixed with the next update, though.  

I believe they cut a lot of New Jack's matches out at the moment due to having music playing throughout that they don't have rights to. My guess is down the line they will go back and edit these back in

Your guess is right because they already did this.

Has anyone been charged for their subscription yet? I got the Network the day after it launched and I still haven't had a charge on my credit card. Not that I'm complaining really, but I just find it odd.