DVDVR Message Board

[WWE NETWORK] Technical and General Content Question/Comments

RIPPA

General consensus is that most modem/router combos aren't as good as having a separate modem and router. As for suggestions, that depends on your setup: How far away is your computer from your internet setup? How many devices (and which ones) will you have connected to your internet setup and where are they in reference to it?

Currently I only have my iPad and a laptop connected through my wifi and my Xbox 360 through an Ethernet connection.

I use to have my Dish Hopper connected to my wifi too, but I took it off a few weeks back.

The laptop generally stays in the same room as my modem/router. My iPad varies in location, but it's usually never more than two rooms away.

Cable broadband is your issue. With cable, you're sharing bandwidth with your whole neighborhood who had cable. The more people online in your area, the slower it gets. Its why you see speed problems in the evening.

I always knew why my speed would decrease in the evening, but the problem I'm having now just recently came about maybe two months ago and it happens at all hours of the day and night. Sadly I don't have any other options other than Frontier and their service is horrible to say the least.

Yeah, every now and then my Roku would go all non-HD, but it normally didn't last more than a few seconds.  Occasionally it would jump back about a second or two, but seeing as how it would jump BACK and not ahead, I wasn't missing anything.  And when I say "occasionally", I mean it did it maybe 5 or 6 times in 4 hours. 

Considering I'm paying 10 bucks a month, got Mania, all PPVs, AND all the goddamn content they have on hand, I'm not going to complain about an occasional glitch at all.  If it held up for Mania, I'm confident about the future and very happy with it.

Couple skips, every so often the picture would degrade, and there was the sound issue during the pre-show. Given this was the big test, with hundreds of thousands of people tuned in, I'd have to call this a pretty big win for the Network.

General consensus is that most modem/router combos aren't as good as having a separate modem and router. As for suggestions, that depends on your setup: How far away is your computer from your internet setup? How many devices (and which ones) will you have connected to your internet setup and where are they in reference to it?

Currently I only have my iPad and a laptop connected through my wifi and my Xbox 360 through an Ethernet connection.

I use to have my Dish Hopper connected to my wifi too, but I took it off a few weeks back.

This is a pretty good router that should give you some good range, even when your iPad is a few rooms away: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dual-band-wireless-ac-gigabit-router-with-4-port-ethernet-switch/8723078.p?id=1218888211869&skuId=8723078&st=categoryid$pcmcat211400050001&cp=1&lp=15#tab=specifications

This one is also good if you're on a tighter budget, but I think you'd see more benefits from the above router: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rangemax-dual-band-wireless-n-router-with-4-ethernet-ports/1208844.p?id=1218234872989&skuId=1208844&st=categoryid$abcat0503002&cp=2&lp=4

• Like 1

Watched on my Roku and it was solid all night. The sound issue from the preshow was fixed before the real show started and aside from just a couple of jumps and a few seconds of non-HD video, it was fine. Actually better than I anticipated.

• Like 1

670,000 subscribers so far

STAMFORD, Conn., April 7, 2014 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that WWE Network has 667,287* subscribers and is well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014 just 42 days after launching in the U.S., making it the fastest-growing digital subscription service. This announcement comes following a historic WrestleMania® 30, which aired live on WWE Network as well as on pay-per-view through satellite and cable providers from a sold-out Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

WWE Network launched on February 24 in the U.S. and will be rolled out in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics in late 2014/early 2015.

WWE Network is the first 24/7 streaming network that provides access to live and scheduled programming, including all 12 live pay-per-view events, as well as the most comprehensive video-on-demand library. Available for only $9.99 a month – with a six month commitment – fans can subscribe to WWE Network at WWE.com. WWE Network is available on connected devices including Apple TV, Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3, Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network is also available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

670,000 subscribers so far

STAMFORD, Conn., April 7, 2014 – WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that WWE Network has 667,287* subscribers and is well on its way to reaching its goal of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014 just 42 days after launching in the U.S., making it the fastest-growing digital subscription service. This announcement comes following a historic WrestleMania® 30, which aired live on WWE Network as well as on pay-per-view through satellite and cable providers from a sold-out Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

WWE Network launched on February 24 in the U.S. and will be rolled out in Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics in late 2014/early 2015.

WWE Network is the first 24/7 streaming network that provides access to live and scheduled programming, including all 12 live pay-per-view events, as well as the most comprehensive video-on-demand library. Available for only $9.99 a month – with a six month commitment – fans can subscribe to WWE Network at WWE.com. WWE Network is available on connected devices including Apple TV, Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3, Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network is also available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon’s Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

That's really impressive, especially considering that you figure a very high percentage of that number was probably on at the same time watching Wrestlemania last night. It makes their ability to stream Wrestlemania without seemingly any major hiccups even more stunning.

Wow.  Those are great numbers.  I remember Meltzer and that annoying guy he does podcasts with saying they would never get close to 1 million subscribers.  I guess it is really retention now and gaining the rest to hit that goal.

Which is funny, since Alvarez guessed 1.1m last night.

I've seen some gloom and doom about the numbers around the internet that I just don't understand. They were essentially selling the Network on WrestleMania alone without a proven track record that they could deliver a quality stream. They've gotten 667,000 people to sign up in 42 days. They still have every other PPV or now simply "special event" to continue to try and convince the 4+ million people who regularly watch Raw to sign up.

Wow.  Those are great numbers. 

The total nosedive the stock is doing now says otherwise.  I think 1 million subscribers domestic now was the magic number to impress the masses.  600,000 are the wrestling nerds like us who will buy anything, and it looks like those are the only people who bought it.  I just don't see how you get an additional 300K domestic in the next 8-9 months when dangling a $9.99 WrestleMania show at them wasn't enough to do it.

ESPECIALLY when you're guaranteed to lose some of that 667K at the six month point.

I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of people expected the Network to fail during WrestleMania and didn't want to deal with that, and stuck with PPVs.  As the Network's track record is established I think it'll become more of an incentive.

I had the same minor problems - degradation in video, the audio problems during the preshow - but all in all I was very, very happy with the stream.  It got to the point that I didn't worry about it and completely forgot it WAS just a stream, which is a big win.

I also had a crash on the PS4 app during the preshow, when they were hyping the Andre battle royal - I'm not sure if the stream crashed and took the app with it, or if the app crashed itself, but either way, I killed the app and restarted it and it ran fine from there on.

667K subscribers in just over a month is pretty damn good, especially for unproven tech in the hands of wrestling people.

I thought the stock was inflated mostly because of the upcoming TV rights deal, though, moreso than projections for WWEN subscribers.

I'm amazed that they are this close to 1M, which I think I read they needed to hit in order to really start making their money back. This service is awesome, so I hope they make it. 

I think the idea that "Well they can't possible do better than what they have now!" is ridiculous. All they have to do is keep pushing it on Raw, promote how great the stream for Mania was and then have their next PPV be a show people want to see. 4 million + people watch Raw every week. It shouldn't be hard to convert another 400,000 of them.