DVDVR Message Board

If Everyday People Acted Like The IWC

Greggulator

Game of Thrones Season 1 Episode 1

Ned Stark says you a fatty fat fat Robert and he is gonna be king now!  

What?  Joffrey is a punk!  Tyrion is going to slap him!  

Sansa falls in the mud!

What?  Joffrey is a punk!  Ned is going to slap him!

Sansa falls in the snow!

All the wolves live forever and are awesome!

Sansa falls in yellow snow made by wolves!  Who are awesome!

What?  Joffrey is a punk!  Hodor is going to slap him!

HODOR!  HODOR!  HODOR!

John Snow gets a hug.

Send the fans home happy damn it!

I got promoted to management today.

Pity there are now six other people with ambiguous job titles who all seem to wield wildly varying amounts of power to me on a day to day basis as well, this pressure is getting to me. I feel like I need to start an uneasy alliance with the top sales guy.

Last Friday's meeting I booked two wacky impromptu tag matches to settle arguments on where we were going for Friday night drinks. One of the new guys, he seems popular with everyone, got everyone behind the TGI Fridays idea. I got drunk on power and said it was only going to happen if he could beat the two Samoan janitor guys in a handicap match that starts right now. He seemed confused, and probably wasn't the only one.

Come Monday morning, my boss' boss' boss came down and conducted a really embarrassing and public job evaluation which involved that wacky dancing ethnic guy in our office (not really sure what he does?), and even a few people that were fired ages ago.

• Like 6

I liked the NFL back in the 90's, when it was better.

Oh man, I can just hear people talking about the Bills never going over. It's awful.

Gregg, is the point of this excercise to make me hate wrestling fans more, or to be kinder to my fellow man because even when they do something awful and moronic some part of me will say 'at least he didn't say buried or smark during this conversation'?

• Like 1

One stoned night at PWO a heated discussion about Mid South/ UWF failing led to a mention of Happy Days and then Welcome Back Kotter which led to  me doing this. 

"Ok, first of all, when Fonzie actually jumped the shark, it didn't affect the ratings at all.

Ok, so to put this in Wrestling terms. The best comparison to the JYD stuff is actually when Richie and Ralph left the show. Now, the silly storylines were getting people talking in a negative way, but as a fan of Happy Days, I remember thinking that the show couldn't exist without them, but I stuck with the show because I loved it so much, the same way a lot of wrestling fans stick with a promotion for awhile before it dies out. And when Richie left, they brought in Roger as a replacement, like Watts did with George Wells and others for JYD. They had some success with putting the focus on Joanie and Chachi. Then, they try and expand into some new territories/ timeslots with Joanie Loves Chachi, sending three beloved mid carders (Al, as well as the title characters) away from home. Things started really going downhill as you now had a show with just Fonzie, The Cunninghams, and Potsie with new characters they tried to push like Flip and KC that no one wanted to see. Old veteran Pat Morita was brought back up to the promotion, but at this point the quality of sthe promotion was pretty bad. Still, people watched out of loyalty to the promotion.

The Tuesday timeslot was also a big factor, as Happy Days owned that time for a hell of a long time, so people were comfortable flipping on ABC and seeing the show, even though the work and show were bad.

They attempted some hot shot booking with the two parter where Richie and Ralph come back, and while that produced some good word of mouth, but the writing was on the wall. Joanie and Chachi were brought back but by this time it was over. Happy Days was moved to Thursdays right as the Juggernaut known as NBC Must See Thursdays was getting underway.

So you see, people do tend to stick around after a show/ promotion loses it's biggest attraction. That being actually Richie, not Fonz. Or to be fair, it was Richie and the Fonz as a team. Once the show actually starred the Fonz, they had a lot of trouble finding ways to use him. He's a teacher, he's Dean of Men at a boys school, etc, etc...

But the quality of workers and booking caused the show to eventually lose fans over the course of time, and the death knell was desperate attempts at replacing the stars who made the territory so hot that at one point they expanded into two more timeslot territories successfully with Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy.

We won't discuss Blansky's Beauties, as it was a disaster.

I'm not a big numbers guy, but I think they tell the story of Garry Marshall Promotions

Ratings

Season 1 (1974): #16 [27] (21.5 rating)

Season 2 (1974-1975): Not in Top 30 "Good Times", booked on CBS by Booker Fred Silverman was booked there as a direct challenge to Happy Days.

Season 3 (1975-1976): #11 [28] (23.9 rating) Change of promotional style, Silverman then jumps to ABC and has to save the show he was trying to bury the year before.

Season 4 (1976-1977): #1 [29] (31.5 rating) Change of style mixed with Fonz as the now #2 Babyface

Season 5 (1977-1978): #2 [30] (31.4 rating)

Season 6 (1978-1979): #3 [31] (28.6 rating)

Season 7 (1979-1980): #17 [32] (21.7 rating) Silly storylines do start to affect things

Season 8 (1980-1981): #15 [33] (20.8 rating)Richie and Ralph leave

Season 9 (1981-“1982): #18 [34] (20.6 rating)

Season 10 (1982-1983): #28 [35] (17.4 rating)

Season 11 (1983-“1984): #63

Now, the show did manage to hang onto viewers after Richie left, but you can see that the combination of bad pushes, leaving characters, and bad storylines all which are "booking" that caused the fall of the promotion."

"Well, the fall of Kotter was directly related to the red hot Sweathog stable having to change as Vinnie Barbarino broke out as a solo star. They brought in Beauregarde "Beau" De LaBarre as a replacement, but no one accepted the Lance Von Erich type replacement, as he wasn't considered a real Sweathog. Also, attempts at tweaking them into more of a blowjob team by dropping Horshack's awkward look and Epstein's toughness wasn't accepted. Add in that the lead face/ manager of the stable missing dates due to contract problems, and the show fizzled as fast as it hit big. It drew big, and is fondly remembered, but like many promotions...it was killed by it's own success. "

• Like 12

I declare Sorrow's post the most important chronicle of our era.

However, while mentioning Mork, I don't think any discussion of Marshall booking is complete without dealing with the Chikara time-travel aspect of Mork being on HAPPY DAYS/L&S and on MORK AND MINDY and seemingly the later era coming first in his life.

Any time Bob Saget does stand-up, he'll get "Danny Tanner!" chants.

I love that when Saget does stand up gigs they have to advertise that it's not a family friendly show, cause apparently people would go and bring their kids thinking they'd get a nice G rated

deal and he'd be fucking filthy. :)

• Like 1

*NOM NOM NOM* "Oh my heavens.  Waiter?  Waiter!?  WAITER!"

"Yes sir?"

"This food is dreck!"  *NOM*

"Yes sir."

*NOM* "It's awful!  I mean I had the best Japanese food just yesterday and this is nowhere close! *NOM*

"This is a steak house sir."

"I know it's a steak house!  I have been coming here twice a week for ten years..."

"Yes sir."

"Don't interrupt me!  And I come for the super buffet every month!"

"..."

*NOM* Answer me!  Why can't this place give me what I want?" 

"...sir?  What is that?"

"*Thoughtful NOM*... Chicken!  I want chicken!"

"Chicken is on the menu sir."

"But its not on the first page!  IS IT?  *NOM*"

"No sir."

"Got you there eh?"

"Very good sir."

"Well, see you Friday."

"Yes sir."

*NOM*

This actually happens. You think wrestling fans are bad, try foodies.

• Like 1

If everyday people acted like the IWC they'd complain about a group that they were a part of.

No, if everyday people acted like the IWC they'd end up deciding that nothing else good about anything they like matters because they aren't catering exactly to that person, in particular- and if they personally aren't the center of the universe then the whole thing is...oh, crap, they already do...nevermind.