DVDVR Message Board

The Americans: Season Two

Petey

I didn't see a thread for this (if there is one already, my apologies), but figured I'd start one since there was a thread on the old board and the show returns tomorrow.

I enjoyed season one a lot and I'm really stoked for the show's return. I saw Alan Sepinwall Tweeted that he was a few episodes in and thought the show was crossing from "really good" to "unbelievable" territory. Got me giddy. Who else is gonna be watching?

We had a thread on the old board (started by yours truly!), but I think this is the first thread on the new board.

I thought the pilot was one of the best episodes of TV from last year. It continued to be really good for a few episodes after that, then kinda lost its way a bit before getting really good again at the end. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it going this season. Graham Yost is a fucking pro at trimming the fat from a show and emphasizing the strengths, and as the EP on this, I'm certain he had a sitdown with his showrunners and went through all that. So...hopeful.

• Like 1

So the premier was really good, for reasons extending beyond this show's continued efficacy in pushing the boundaries of how much of someone's nake body you can show on basic cable.

But the ratings were not so goo. Way down from last season's premier, only slightly up from the finale. Not TERRIERS bad or anything, but it doesn't look like all the critical praise in the world is going to make America care about this one. (Should've put it on Netflix!)

Too bad. It's a good show.

It's in a weird spot.  Most of the tv critics(and viewers) liked the first season , but many of them didn't it pick it as their top "Must Watch" tv show last tv season.  It was overshadowed by a ton of other shows (most of them from Netflix).  Now it's premiering when True Detective has all the tv buzz.

The first five episodes of season 2 seems to be getting a bit more love from the critics I've read though.  It's probably too late to draw in a big audience, but I think it might get a bit more attention and acclaim this season.  If the quality holds, maybe it'll win a couple of tv awards, which might help get FX to renew it.  I'm grasping at straws; I know.

First episode was really good.  Lots of stuff setup for the season to work with.  And, hey, naked Kerri Russell is always good.  That said, the "daughter walking in on them" scene seemed more than a little cheap/exploitative.  It was pretty clearly done for shock and to intentionally scream "LOOK HOW FAR WE'RE PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES!!!!!"  The exact same thing could have been accomplished in a way that didn't feel so cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

It's in a weird spot. Most of the tv critics(and viewers) liked the first season , but many of them didn't it pick it as their top "Must Watch" tv show last tv season. It was overshadowed by a ton of other shows (most of them from Netflix). Now it's premieres when True Detective has all the tv buzz.

The first five episodes of season 2 seems to be getting a bit more love from the critics I've read though. It's probably too late to draw in a big audience, but I think it might get a bit more attention and acclaim this season. If the quality holds, maybe it'll win a couple of tv awards, which might help get FX to renew it. I'm grasping at straws; I know.

I was fucking astounded it got no Emmy nominations last year.

I'm with you. A coworker and I were just discussing that yesterday. For me, it might be because I never feel the two main characters are ever in real danger. I know there are scenes where I should feel as though they are, but they always seem so in control (and I know that's part of their characters) and it kinda takes me out of it.

• 1 month later...

Despite it's critical acclaim, the ratings aren't that strong for the show. I actually thought it started off kinda slow (save for the premiere), but has picked up a bit. I'm not enjoying it quite as much as last season but it's still a good watch.

• Like 1

I really love the show this season, but I'm not getting to it until days later because of work obligations. There's so much tension, and unlike last season, there are consequences for every little thing that gets fucked up.

• Like 1

To me, it feels like the show dropped off this season.  There was a real down period early in the season compared the consistent high quality of season one.  Now things are much better and the last few weeks have been great.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I watched the first ep last night and thought it was very good, the hotel room bit was the first t.v scene to shock me in a long while.

Could've just been me but I have forgotten a lot of the stuff that happened last year, there were times when I really had to scramble my brain to remember certain bits and pieces.

So that finale was pretty damn good.

Although throughout the last half or so of it, I was kinda distracted by:

In Stan's dream, Martha took the files from the folder and put it in her bag.  So he knows she's taking the files, even if he's not fully aware.

I'm also assuming that next season is

More of Philip v. Elizabeth over the idea of grooming her for spy service and whatnot.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...