DVDVR Message Board

10 Pro Wrestlers Whose Acting Careers Bombed

To celebrate Hulk Hogan's return to WWE, I think it's worth noting that TNA is another venture that he didn't exactly pull off, like acting. I'm still shocked that people consider Hogan a "wrestler-actor" like The Rock considering the only 2 movies that Hogan appeared in that were actually successful he played a wrestler. I totally buy why he made #1 on this list:

http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-10-pro-wrestlers-whose-acting-careers-bombed.php

However, the rest of the names are debatable I think. What do you guys think? I'm not sure why someone like Austin isn't on this list, but then again Austin's direct-to-dvd movies probably do the exact business the makers expect, which is why he keeps making them.

Just looking for some other people's thoughts.

I wouldn't even consider Hogan's stuff unsuccessful.  As with the same reasoning on Austin, Hogan had a bunch of them, meaning some of them made money.  He also had a backdoor pilot that got picked up with Thunder in Paradise.

It's weird how people judge success in show business.  I was watching Paul F. Tompkins' video podcast a while back (it's not great; just naming my source) with Bob Odenkirk, and Odenkirk was talking about how, after being one of the stars in Breaking Bad, people would talk to him like he was just about to find success, when in reality his career basically started as a success writing for Saturday Night Live in the 80s.  By that token, John Cena's movie career could also be said to be a success.  The Marine even made a profit!

• Like 1

It's hard to judge, because nowadays nobody really tries to build a movie around a pro wrestler except WWE Studios. How do you judge if someone's acting career bombed if all they do is straight-to-DVD c-list material and generic muscle-man bit parts like Kurt Angle?

Outside of Ready to Rumble and The Real Reason Men Commit Crimes, has Sting done any film work? Does that count as a bomb?

If Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't live up to box office hype, has Batista's career bombed? The Man With the Iron Fists didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Randy Orton got dropped from a freakin' WWE film -- that's at least worthy of a semi-bomb.

Triple H was in Blade 3 but all he's gotten since then is WWE Studios work, IIRC.

Christian's in Shoot'em Up and Edge is in a Highlander film, but I don't think either of them has a speaking part - but Christian has some straight-to-DVD work and Edge is a recurring character on Haven and had a couple of spots on Sanctuary.

Randy Orton got dropped from a freakin' WWE film -- that's at least worthy of a semi-bomb.

To be fair - that was more the WWE being stupid and casting him in that roll to begin with and not thinking there would be backlash.

This seems like a good place to let people know, they are doing two of Hogan's movies on upcoming live "How did this get made" podcasts.  If you're in L.A. you can go watch them live, if you're not you can listen to them in a few weeks like nerds.

Jason_Mantzoukas_q_L8_Cef_Cdiy_Qm.jpg

I am literally going bonkers masturbating right now...like next-level bananas.

It saddens me that people wouldn't consider Mr. Show a success. 

Most people don't even know Mr. Show existed.  Which is fine, because most people don't deserve Mr. Show.

The fact I got to watch the show back in the 90's  for the first 3.5 seasons(got rid of HBO after that point for whatever reason) of the show kind of shocks me that I was not only aware, but actively watched it as a teen. Shaped a lot of my taste in humor later on compared to the early 90s SNL stuff a lot of people my age liked more.