DVDVR Message Board

Raw 2-24-14

MGFanJay

Not into Wyatts either. I just see some fat guy trying to hide his babyface with a terrible beard and shitty tattoos while doing the goddamn electric slide. Where's the subtlety?

I know everyone has already laid into you for having an opinion, but could you clarify just what it is you're talking about? These aren't real criticisms, like "the way he speaks takes me out of the moment, not what he is saying." What would you have him do differently, aside from lose weight, shave and laser off his tattoos?

TL;DR version: I don't care for this gimmick. I don't see any flexibility or longevity. I just see three guys with beards with clothing way too clean lookin' to be some backwoods jerk offs.

And that prevents you from enjoying the matches happening? I mean does every gimmick need longevity? Can't we just have fun today?

Also, they may live in the backwoods but I think they still spend time in the WWE locker room. Maybe there's a washing machine/tumble dryer combo there. And I don't think Bray should have manky clothes, the other two perhaps but Bray is this charismatic preacher of the end times, I think he should wear clean shirts.

Roman/Bray wasn't nearly as bad as the crowd would make you think, although it was a far cry from 6-man as well. The best part were the Rollins and Ambrose saves that really made me want to see the feud continue with Shield progressing more towards total faces as a unit. The biggest problem with the match itself is that it was just too long and both guys were stuck doing a lot of filler between their cool slugfest spots. Also validates my post from "WWE turning heels into intolerable babyfaces."

I guarantee Roman's heat will dwindle if he starts being on the receiving end of a lot of "chinlock, elbow, elbow, hair pull, chinlock" spots. 

When will they ever learn?

Sheamus/Christian was good, but nowhere near their SD match. The commentary for this and Etor/Cesaro was absolutely brutal.

Roman/Bray wasn't nearly as bad as the crowd would make you think, although it was a far cry from 6-man as well. The best part were the Rollins and Ambrose saves that really made me want to see the feud continue with Shield progressing more towards total faces as a unit. The biggest problem with the match itself is that it was just too long and both guys were stuck doing a lot of filler between their cool slugfest spots. Also validates my post from "WWE turning heels into intolerable babyfaces."

I guarantee Roman's heat will dwindle if he starts being on the receiving end of a lot of "chinlock, elbow, elbow, hair pull, chinlock" spots. 

When will they ever learn?

Let's see...who has the facials to make those matches work?

oie_26040247k_PVhpm7.pngoie_26041156y1_P0_El8.jpg

• Like 2

Emma using the Muta Lock as a finisher totally got her over with me. It's so incongruous, she's supposed to be clumsy and silly yet her finisher is this mad technical hold

Maybe she's just a secret nazi, tricking people in to thinking she's awkward and lovable, waiting for her time to recruit. I mean, she sort of goose steps and then does the neurological disorder arms which are like undercover hitler salutes.

Watching the Steve Austin DVD last night, realized that I completely forgot how long it took from KOTR '96 to Mania 15 for Austin to get his title shot. That's over 18 months. Yet 6 months into the Bryan push, it's at this standard of whinge?

Austin winning KOTR 96 in the context of him jobbing to Savio Vega the month before is insane. No real build up. I don't believe the revisionist history of "Well, HHH was supposed to win it, but Curtain Call", which happened at least 2 months before KOTR. They could have easily given it to Vader to build him up for Shawn but took a gamble that paid off.

Between then and Survivor Series, he does absolutely nothing of note. You could argue that the HHH Mania match is his Bret match (either Survivor Series or Mania, take your pick for context).

Had two shots at the title in 1997, spends the end of the year in meaningless midcard feuds with Owen and the NOD, despite being the hottest act on the card by far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the logic were that if they held off on pulling the trigger with Austin for 18 months, they can afford to hold off on Bryan a little longer.

• Like 2

Emma using the Muta Lock as a finisher totally got her over with me. It's so incongruous, she's supposed to be clumsy and silly yet her finisher is this mad technical hold

Maybe she's just a secret nazi, tricking people in to thinking she's awkward and lovable, waiting for her time to recruit. I mean, she sort of goose steps and then does the neurological disorder arms which are like undercover hitler salutes.

Time for a Heidenreich comeback?

Watching the Steve Austin DVD last night, realized that I completely forgot how long it took from KOTR '96 to Mania 15 for Austin to get his title shot. That's over 18 months. Yet 6 months into the Bryan push, it's at this standard of whinge?

Austin winning KOTR 96 in the context of him jobbing to Savio Vega the month before is insane. No real build up. I don't believe the revisionist history of "Well, HHH was supposed to win it, but Curtain Call", which happened at least 2 months before KOTR. They could have easily given it to Vader to build him up for Shawn but took a gamble that paid off.

Between then and Survivor Series, he does absolutely nothing of note. You could argue that the HHH Mania match is his Bret match (either Survivor Series or Mania, take your pick for context).

Had two shots at the title in 1997, spends the end of the year in meaningless midcard feuds with Owen and the NOD, despite being the hottest act on the card by far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the logic were that if they held off on pulling the trigger with Austin for 18 months, they can afford to hold off on Bryan a little longer.

People don't seem to have the attention span anymore for an 18 month angle. This is 2014 where you can hop on YouTube and watch entire angles run their course with every segment, interview, and match in a few hours. It's like how back in the old days faces would have runs with the WWF title that lasted several years but now when Punk held it for about a year it felt interminable.

• Like 1

Not into Wyatts either. I just see some fat guy trying to hide his babyface with a terrible beard and shitty tattoos while doing the goddamn electric slide. Where's the subtlety?

I know everyone has already laid into you for having an opinion, but could you clarify just what it is you're talking about? These aren't real criticisms, like "the way he speaks takes me out of the moment, not what he is saying." What would you have him do differently, aside from lose weight, shave and laser off his tattoos?

TL;DR version: I don't care for this gimmick. I don't see any flexibility or longevity. I just see three guys with beards with clothing way too clean lookin' to be some backwoods jerk offs.

So, clean clothes? Okay, *now* your opinion sucks.

The patience thing hits a snag when people just don't think that this is a premeditated long, drawn out build, but simply WWE not knowing how to capitalize on what they have. Mega Powers Explode was a drawn out storyline. This is more of a bumper car derby. It's not about how long it's taking, it's about the day to day creative decisions and lack of forward planning. Maybe WWE is planning this, maybe it's not, but I don't think people on the board have faith in them after years and years and years of blown storylines. It's not rocket science to figure out why people wouldn't have faith. 

• Like 3

When a storyline is hitting on all cylinders, we like it. People were pumped with the Cody Fired-Goldust fights for job-Dusty comes out-Rhodes Bros ninja attack-Match for their jobs-Title win period. We've all been into the Shield/Wyatts build, match, and last night when Rollins and then Ambrose came out to save the day. When something is booked well, even "people on the internet" respond. We're into NXT on an almost weekly basis since it's got pretty solid week to week storylines and build.

THE INTERNET HATES EVERYTHING AND IS SO NEGATIVE is a pretty crummy argument around here. 

• Like 2

Not advocating one outcome or another, merely speculating.

Batista/Orton makes Lesnar/Goldberg look like Hogan/Rock.

HHH/Bryan goes on after it, HHH squashes him.

Fans "riot", or you even do a staged riot where plants run in, throw shit, whatever.

Every major news outlet in the world covers the fallout from WrestleMania. Arrests, injuries, whatever.

Does the publicity/massive mainstream media attention the company receives justify back-seating good storylines/writing/outcomes, if they deliberately book it this way hoping this is the outcome?

Can you plausibly compare it to how people didn't riot against the Horsemen because they were sick of Ricky Morton or Dusty Rhodes? Or how the Puerto Rican crowds barricaded the foreign heels in the dressing room in spite of Carlos Colon?

Fans "riot", or you even do a staged riot where plants run in, throw shit, whatever.

Every major news outlet in the world covers the fallout from WrestleMania. Arrests, injuries, whatever.

Wrestlemania is in my city.  I don't want this to happen!  New Orleans already has a bad enough reputation 

Wrestlemania is in my city.  I don't want this to happen!  New Orleans already has a bad enough reputation

So, you're saying no to a surprise appearance by Hurricane Helms?

• Like 3

So, you're saying no to a surprise appearance by Hurricane Helms?

I would accept it as long as he's beaten by Papa Shango.

I'm watching RAW now, and it's hilarious how many people have been going on about "HOGAN STUMBLED OVER ALL HIS LINES BLIBBEDY BLABBITY BOO BLAH BLAH BLAH!" when that didn't happen at all. He said Universe instead of network and recovered without a pause.

And some of the Hulkster hate going on makes me sad. Hogan's the man. It's not like he's gonna be wrestling, he couldn't pass the physical.

(And that's almost a good thing if the story Piper told on Austin's show about the WWE wanting to do a Piper/ Hogan match at Mania was true.)

The important detail about the Austin build was that he hadn't won the title until he actually won the title. Again, Bryan has already won the title twice. His chase isn't to win it, it's to win it but not be screwed out of it. In my opinion that is a much weaker, and inherently different, story.

I have enjoyed all of the matches, but this Daniel Bryan story has been told very poorly. Yes, we can rationalize everything that's happened into a linear narrative but we would be doing so much more work than the storytellers which, as fans, is a great sign that the quality of the story is sub par. That's not to say there aren't good stories being told, The Shield is a great example, but things like this Authority angle are simply bad stories. Literally every week I read plausible, simple, good ideas which are seemingly impossible for the WWE creative team to think up or execute.

That said, it's not like this is a sudden trend or anything, and there is simply too much wrestling available to watch online and now on The Network to justify wasting time on poor story telling. Raw is a three hour show with AT MOST an hour of moving stories forward at all, let alone moving them forward competently. Thinking that someone picking out the good and enjoying it is worth criticism, however, is about as silly as only picking about the bad every week and complaining.

• Like 3