DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X!

Dolfan in NYC

Taker's from last year is my favorite just for the fireballs warning us up, because God damn it was cold in the upper deck.

It wasn't that cold, come on! (says me who was wearing a sweatshirt, jacket, and a Rangers Jersey in the upper deck)

I wonder how the long the walk to the ring is going to be. My favorite is WM X-7. Austin's strut to the ring was so awesome for that. Daniel Bryan's will be so awesome for this.

• Like 1

I still think it's a waste because he could have been a big part of Cesaro's face turn. They could have let Cesaro use Real American for a year or two and he would have been super over. 

That would probably backfire, since any casuals would pop instantly for Hogan's music and then react negatively to someone who isn't the Hulkster coming out.

Not the best countdown but fitting the recent topic. Weird that they used one of HHH's lesser ones considering the more epic entrances he had.

Always love Vince during Shawn's WM 12. UN BE LIEVABLE what a ride!

• Like 1

People keep talking about the "pre-show" but Wrestlemania will be on the WWE Network. They don't have to have a pre-show to shill last minute PPV buys anymore because they're not really trying to sell PPV anymore. They're trying to sell the WWE Network.

So is it technically even a pre-show anymore?

What a weird era WWE is in right now. We're seeing the PPV business model go away.

- Member of the Shield turns, corporate team wins.

- Uso's retain their titles.

- Big Show wins the Andre the Giant thing.

- John Cena beats Wyatt.

- Undertaker (I mean, c'mon).

- DB somehow "steals one" from HHH.

- DB overcomes corporate bullshit and wins the title.

Don't care about the divas match. Can barely name 5 of them.

I really can't believe all the "Daniel Bryan HAS to win the main event" here. This is the same company that just 3 years ago thought The Miz winning  was a smart move. At this point Randall walking out champ wouldn't surprise me.

I really can't believe all the "Daniel Bryan HAS to win the main event" here.

I don't get it either. They've contrived a scenario to put Bryan in that match so the crowd won't shit all over it, not necessarily because they've suddenly seen the error of their ways and are ready to annoint him. Sure, it might happen, but it seems just as likely to me that they'll stick with their original plan and put the belt on Big Dave.

The end in 0 manias are the time when WWE reminds us that they are a wrestling company. Hart walked out at X, Benoit and Eddie at 20 and Bryan at 30 I believe that Bryan walking out as champ has been in the works since Summerslam, they just did a shit job of getting from that point to this point or did they do a great job? I mean here we are all discussing why we can see Bryan lose at mania, this is what they want. Would we be having the same conversation if he had a long reign in the fall or won the Rumble?

The best are those who think this was their master plan all along: to negate the importance of the Rumble, botch Dave's return, and merely plant rumors that DB was originally to face Sheamus. The guy who's been getting non-stop chants from the crowd for the better part of 6 months was booked against Sheamus. Fucking SHEAMUS. I Want everyone to think about that before they post another "It's inevitable that DB is going to win."

• Like 1

The end in 0 manias are the time when WWE reminds us that they are a wrestling company. Hart walked out at X, Benoit and Eddie at 20 and Bryan at 30 I believe that Bryan walking out as champ has been in the works since Summerslam, they just did a shit job of getting from that point to this point or did they do a great job? I mean here we are all discussing why we can see Bryan lose at mania, this is what they want. Would we be having the same conversation if he had a long reign in the fall or won the Rumble?

If it was in the works since SummerSlam, why wouldn't they just have him win the Rumble? If they were so set on inserting Big Dave into the title picture, have HIM be the third wheel, or have DB then lose his title shot to BD at Elimination Chamber, and then be forced to beat HHH at Mania to be re-inserted into the WM main event. By DB having to bitch about getting a title shot, it negates the whole purpose of the Royal Rumble: It's the only way you get a WrestleMania title shot, UNLESS you complain enough about circumstances completely unrelated to said Rumble. It's fucking terrible booking, one awesome #OccupyRaw and HHH beatdown segment makes a sensible title picture does not.

People keep talking about the "pre-show" but Wrestlemania will be on the WWE Network. They don't have to have a pre-show to shill last minute PPV buys anymore because they're not really trying to sell PPV anymore. They're trying to sell the WWE Network.

So is it technically even a pre-show anymore?

What a weird era WWE is in right now. We're seeing the PPV business model go away.

The Super Bowl is not on PPV.  Does it have a pre-show?

Cue that trombone again. Reading this thread, I'm actually surprised by what has been a lame Mania build, and by what a lackluster show this may end up being. I have the same beef with it that I've had with the last several: the baffling usage of the midcard, with some of the worst workers being put in big spots and the best being given nothing.

No Langston title defense, no Ambrose defense, or unification of the two belts. Bad usage of the Shield, unless this is the real kickoff to their face run and they beat the piss out of Billy Gunn in a three minute squash. No real match for Harper and Rowan. Only a battle royal appearance for Ziggler, Sheamus, Henry, Show, and the Rhodes brothers. No usage of Vince or anyone from NXT. Kane must be the nicest guy on Earth to be given the perma-love he gets from the company.

I like the Andre battle royal, but that's the kind of thing that should be about Mark Henry punting Jinder Mahal while William “Refrigerator” Perry points and laughs. Way too many guys in there who should be having their own match. There are 10-15 dudes on the roster who could fill out an amazing midcard if given anything real to do.

I'm someone who's found the last few Manias to be somewhat lame, but this one feels really weird as it was such a good year for the company in-ring, with so many workers worth celebrating at the big dance. That said, it's lame to pan a show that hasn't happened yet, and I expect at least a few good surprises/matches/moments. Wyatt-Cena is poised to steal the show.

Overall this one reminds me of WM17, in that they have this huge industry-changing moment in the Network debut that happened right before Mania, and in doing so it kind of stolen WM's thunder and took the company's focus off of this show. I get that if Bryan wins everyone goes home happy, and that he is and should be the focal point. But we're setting the bar pretty low for the biggest show of the year if all we expect is for them to do a kinda-sorta-barely adequate job of culminating exactly one storyline in the span of a full year.

• Like 2

If it was in the works since SummerSlam, why wouldn't they just have him win the Rumble? If they were so set on inserting Big Dave into the title picture, have HIM be the third wheel, or have DB then lose his title shot to BD at Elimination Chamber, and then be forced to beat HHH at Mania to be re-inserted into the WM main event. By DB having to bitch about getting a title shot, it negates the whole purpose of the Royal Rumble: It's the only way you get a WrestleMania title shot, UNLESS you complain enough about circumstances completely unrelated to said Rumble. It's fucking terrible booking, one awesome #OccupyRaw and HHH beatdown segment makes a sensible title picture does not.

Like I said, they've done a shit job of getting to the point. I think, if this has been the plan, they're trying to throw fans off with all these twists and turns to make it more unpredictable but really it's just made the whole story less compelling. I'm not saying that this has been a good way to get to the point just the way that they decided to go with.