DVDVR Message Board

Community: The Final Season

Ellsworth Toohey

I like the moment, even though I knew it was coming due to the previews before it aired.  If he had turned to the camera and winked and/or said it with a devious, knowing smile, it probably would have been too much for me but they played it straight.  I didn't think they destroyed the wall.

At the same time, the moment would probably be the prime piece of evidence shown from people who can't get into Community or just plain don't like it.  A joke you would only get from following tv news on the net through a pop culture reference from a long dead tv show?  I understand...but it works for me.

The Scrubs joke was done well because it's not distracting if you don't know the behind the scenes stuff. I mean, it may not be FUNNY but it won't make you feel dumb for not knowing the deal. 

Repilot was amazing just for how closely it followed the structure of the Pilot.

http://imgur.com/gallery/6Sa6L

There's other stuff too, but yeah...blocked out EXACTLY like the pilot. Really well done.

NuPierce is already better than Pierce.

Now this felt like VINITAGE Community. A giant send-up of another genre works pretty well. This was a big episode with the

return of Starburns, looking no less than a 25 on the Flair scale and the death of Pierce.

Great fodder for Annie/Jeff shippers too and the soundtrack was fun. The Kickstarter sendup during the credits was hilarious.

A great many screens here - http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/fiuxzz0ze68flpuy27e9zdnwix3u6ncm

That song BETTER be on iTunes tomorrow

It's rolling around on Tumblr. Apparently (the delightful botany professor cameo) Ben Folds is working on getting it released.

Also, since they shot out of order, this was the last episode that Donald Glover shot.

Dean's bit of snapping at his secretary was pretty great.

And did Duncan and Britta sleep together last time he was on the show or something?

It was established back in S1 that Duncan just really wants to bang her. 

It's why he voted for her to stay at the school and manipulated things so she'd have to take regular therapy with him.

I absolutely loved the first 3 episodes.  This is what I wanted from Community.  The end of season 4 picked up a little(yes I actually went back and watched it), but man they just tried so hard to make the show more digestible for the common viewer, and it's just not ever going to happen. 

Yeah, that was fucking great.  Walt Goggins was king-sized as expected: "Gaymurderersayswhat" Jeff: "What?"

So many little nods and callbacks:

- The boat Pierce gave Troy was "The Childish Tycoon."

- Chang mouthing "gay" during the back and forth between Goggins and Jeff.

-And these two bits (spoiler for size):

[-BeJPtNHCEAARdQV.png

tumblr_mzj3haiMnH1qhu22bo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

The grieving ep would've been so great as a series finale. They found a way to write Troy out and have it make perfect sense, while keeping Pierce's spirit alive and allowing the characters to grow. It was damn near perfect.

Yeah, that was fucking great.  Walt Goggins was king-sized as expected: "Gaymurderersayswhat" Jeff: "What?"

So many little nods and callbacks:

- The boat Pierce gave Troy was "The Childish Tycoon."

- Chang mouthing "gay" during the back and forth between Goggins and Jeff.

-And these two bits (spoiler for size):

[-BeJPtNHCEAARdQV.png

tumblr_mzj3haiMnH1qhu22bo1_1280.jpg

Yup. Perfect!

So I've been thinking of getting into this show because I've heard a lot of good things. Only thing I'm wondering is whether or not this is still the final season even though Dan Harmon is back. Thanks to anyone who can answer that for me.

So I've been thinking of getting into this show because I've heard a lot of good things. Only thing I'm wondering is whether or not this is still the final season even though Dan Harmon is back. Thanks to anyone who can answer that for me.

Most everyone thinks so, but nothing is official yet.

Well, ratings for the premier were down slightly from the previous year's, but ratings are down across the board and it was up against Big Bang Theory (which...the ratings a show that bad gets actually make me angry) and it seems to still be hitting a solid demo. Word of mouth is strong though and it feels like NBC is partially keeping it going as a sort of feather in it's lineup...something to claim critical acclaim with.

Really, it's tough to say. I don't think six seasons and a movie is impossible at this point though.

EDIT: 

NBC’s policy is to “let him do his show, as long as it’s coming in on budget and on time, and celebrate that,” said Vernon Sanders, a network entertainment executive who oversees “Community.”

The series, despite low ratings, is shown in repeats on Comedy Central, broadcast in more than a dozen foreign territories and sought by advertisers who want to reach younger viewers. “It’s a show that we make money on,” Mr. Sanders said. But more important, it is a show that cultivates an enthusiastic audience, a feat that he said NBC did not take for granted.

“When a show is really well done, that’s not a guarantee,” Mr. Sanders said.

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/01/ratings-community-way-way-math/#ixzz2qiPJNSCj