DVDVR Message Board

Community: The Final Season

Ellsworth Toohey

Dan said on Harmontown last week he's sick of apologizing for things he's not sorry about. Which probably means nothing.

Side note: I have developed a huge crush on Dan's girlfriend and I'm beginning to resent Dan for having her.

The Thanksgiving episode had funny moments, but it was a huge point in a big problem for me in this season.  The show is trying to be about something.  It's trying to have a narrative and a cohesive plot.  Community is supposed to be random bullshit where you know none of it really matters.  The only real continuity the show should have is that Chang is a jackoff, there is a dark timeline, and that Abed is a weirdo.

The Thanksgiving episode had funny moments, but it was a huge point in a big problem for me in this season.  The show is trying to be about something.  It's trying to have a narrative and a cohesive plot.  Community is supposed to be random bullshit where you know none of it really matters.  The only real continuity the show should have is that Chang is a jackoff, there is a dark timeline, and that Abed is a weirdo.

I disagree. The show has always been good at balancing the off the wall conceptual stuff with continuity and grounded characters.

I always looked at the attempts at grounding the characters as being very tongue in cheek, with the possible exception of Shirley, and to a lesser extent Abed.  I always felt like the show is more enjoyable once you understand that none of it matters.

I always looked at the attempts at grounding the characters as being very tongue in cheek, with the possible exception of Shirley, and to a lesser extent Abed.  I always felt like the show is more enjoyable once you understand that none of it matters.

Having watched the whole run over like, two months, then rewatched most of it again...yeah, I can say you're a bit off base here. There's a TON of building plotlines and character arcs each season. That's not to say the next season won't often cause them to backslide some, but that kind of development's always been there and is very much a part of the show's framework.

• 4 weeks later...

I basically marathon-viewed S4 over the past few days thanks to the DVD and I really like it. Nothing tops S2, but overall, I actually like it more than S3 - which did have the greatness of the RPG episode. Gillian Jacobs was the fucking star of it though - she goes from hot in her panties, to wacky changing, and then DRESSING UP AS A HAM AND BEING SILLY. From there, she becomes a more mature character and turns her meddling into a huge plus by reuniting Jeff with his dad in one of the show's most touching bits yet.

I liked the 4th season, but it just didn't feel quite like the same show.  Sort of like "hey, Darren looks completely different... dammit Samantha, what spell did you cast?!"  They were doing things that Harmon never would have, which has its pros and cons.  But has this ever really happened before?  Has a creator been kicked off his own show, we watch what happens without them, and then they come back?  

Count me in as another guy who can't believe that Community even got to its fifth season.  This show is TOO good, these things are supposed to be Fireflied or Deadwooded into oblivion.  

Yvette Nicole Brown tweeted a photo of CM Punk visiting her on set (they're friends... Which is unexpected). No word on if he was there to do a guest spot or cameo yet.

I'd file that under the same heading as the Nathan Fillion pic that got us all hot and bothered a year or two ago, that being "Every celebrity with a brain just wants the experience of having been near this show".