DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber

Brian Fowler

Ending your go home PPV that "cements" the main event of your biggest PPV of the year with dead silence from a crowd because the match that Creative booked themselves into a corner sticking to is not a good thing.

You're like, the only person left that doesn't think that Batista is walking out of WM Champ and this is going in a good direction.

I don't think I'm the only person who sees Bryan getting entered into this and walking out as a possibility. The loss last night was as protected as possible. Bryan went in injured, entered the EC third, kicked out of a finished booked as death for a decade and still needed a screwjob to lose.

There's also the old theme of wrestling where the big hero's chase ends at the start of the summer. Old-school booking.

Like I've said a bunch of times -- the guy has been the center of the shows since last spring. I doubt anyone has closed out Raw more than him, and it's not even close. They've given entire final hours of Raw to him on a few occasions. I have absolutely no idea how the whole "Bryan Is Buried" thing has happened because it's essentially the exact opposite of what I'm seeing.

As far as Batista: The dude blows. He always did, save for his final stretch. But all anyone gets this contract stuff from is via "Rumblings for 411Scoopz.com" that comes from Meltzer, who is the biggest mark out of everyone.

• Like 1

For folks complaining about the ending of last night's match:

1) You seriously think Daniel Bryan winning the belt -- and concluding his epic struggle -- at Elimination Chamber is the way to go?

2) You seriously think Bryan losing cleanly to a RKO is the way to go, too? Because that essentially cuts his legs out and ends the story. They didn't do that and haven't done that. How many clean losses has he taken since SummerSlam? The only one I can think of is against Bray, which only made that dude's career and sets him up as a threat to Bryan once he does win the belt.

Dude's gotta get shmozzed until he gets through all of the obstacles. That's how the story works. Bryan had a distraction from Bray, who saw a chance to manipulate Daniel to do his own bidding by convincing him "The Machine" wouldn't let him win/beating him into submission. That only made Bryan more popular.

How many fucking more times are you going to post some variation of this in this thread. I think you're on like, four now.

Post something interesting instead of something like this. RISE ABOVE HATE

• Like 1

1) You seriously think Daniel Bryan winning the belt -- and concluding his epic struggle -- at Elimination Chamber is the way to go?

2) You seriously think Bryan losing cleanly to a RKO is the way to go, too? Because that essentially cuts his legs out and ends the story. They didn't do that and haven't done that. How many clean losses has he taken since SummerSlam? The only one I can think of is against Bray, which only made that dude's career and sets him up as a threat to Bryan once he does win the belt.

Dude's gotta get shmozzed until he gets through all of the obstacles. That's how the story works. Bryan had a distraction from Bray, who saw a chance to manipulate Daniel to do his own bidding by convincing him "The Machine" wouldn't let him win/beating him into submission. That only made Bryan more popular.

How many fucking more times are you going to post some variation of this in this thread. I think you're on like, four now.

Post something interesting instead of something like this. RISE ABOVE HATE

I just don't see this avalanche of "Elimination Chamber was booked poorly" people that you're so vehemently rallying against. I'm not sure who you're actually arguing with and why it necessitates reposting the same thing over and over.

Mind you, no one really has a retort against my optimism and defense of the Elimination Chamber ending.

Quite of few people have, actually. Basically, no one thinks Bryan should have won last night, so you're flailing away at a strawman on that one. So, if he wasn't winning, why go to the metric shit ton of inteference/screwjob bit in the first place? Have the shoulder injury take him out of the match earlier instead of trolling the fans with the same finish over and over and over again. Now, they didn't do that, in all likelihood, because they knew as soon as Bryan was out, the match would get shit on. But the crowd reacted badly anyway, so basically all they did was kick the can down the road for a few minutes. Like they've been doing for months now.

In a vacuum, the booking's fine. As a reiteration of months of bad finishes, it's hard not to feel like a gigantic trolling at this point.

Ending your go home PPV that "cements" the main event of your biggest PPV of the year with dead silence from a crowd because the match that Creative booked themselves into a corner sticking to is not a good thing.

You're like, the only person left that doesn't think that Batista is walking out of WM Champ and this is going in a good direction.

I don't think I'm the only person who sees Bryan getting entered into this and walking out as a possibility. The loss last night was as protected as possible. Bryan went in injured, entered the EC third, kicked out of a finished booked as death for a decade and still needed a screwjob to lose.

There's also the old theme of wrestling where the big hero's chase ends at the start of the summer. Old-school booking.

Like I've said a bunch of times -- the guy has been the center of the shows since last spring. I doubt anyone has closed out Raw more than him, and it's not even close. They've given entire final hours of Raw to him on a few occasions. I have absolutely no idea how the whole "Bryan Is Buried" thing has happened because it's essentially the exact opposite of what I'm seeing.

As far as Batista: The dude blows. He always did, save for his final stretch. But all anyone gets this contract stuff from is via "Rumblings for 411Scoopz.com" that comes from Meltzer, who is the biggest mark out of everyone.

For the record, your optimisum is good and I like having fun with it, I don't post against you because I don't like you.  

I'd like to be as optimistic that this is going to end well, but while they panned around to all the fans with looks of absolute apathy to Orton winning like this is more build, its a bad thing.  Crowd is primed to shit on the current WM main event.  Bryan being inserted into the WM Main Event does nothing for him, because he needs to win the title in the one-on-one situation he hasn't gotten.  Its way to easy to use Batista to do the dirty work and DB steal the win, which doesn't help.  This is two PPV's in a row where they not only actively trolled the fans, who are voc,  about what they want and are being kept from it, but now were pretty much laughed at last night.  

A joke twitter said it best, ending with shots of people disgusted with your product is not the way to sell your biggest event of the year.

EDIT: And honestly, for as much as they played up that shoulder injury, it really played no factor in about anything but a rest spot mid-match.

• Like 1

The idea that anyone should be able to interfere in the Elimination Chamber is ridiculous, let alone two separate run-ins, which is why I didn't care for the finish.

This.  I don't know why Vince felt compelled to kill the EC like he killed HIAC last year, but maybe it's time to retire the gimmick PPV's anyway.  I dunno.

The idea that anyone should be able to interfere in the Elimination Chamber is ridiculous, let alone two separate run-ins, which is why I didn't care for the finish.

Agreed. That really, really kills the whole concept of the match. How do you sell it next year as this deathly dangerous contraption where nobody can get out and nobody can get in?

And how ridiculous is it that the Wyatt's magically appear in the Chamber, then calmly walk out and leave the door open for Kane?

That's the bad booking. Nobody is arguing that Bryan should have won. The problem was those run-ins, and the fact that Randy Orton is still World Champion. They need to get the title off him like yesterday.

The Wyatts are creepy/mystical/mysterious enough for me to accept them appearing inside the chamber, but yeah, having them just walk out instead of disappear again really killed the mystique and was illogical.

Honestly, I don't even notice stuff like this because everyone always interferes in cage matches and the like in WWE. The very first cell match, of which the whole point was to keep HBK and Taker in a confined space with no chance for HBK to escape or DX to interfere, ended up having 1) HBK escape through the door anyway, and 2) when the door was re-locked with both men inside, Kane just ripped off the door anyway to kill Taker dead.

I use that example to say that in WWE matches, it's almost like they use the cage as a gimmick to show how some of these guys are badasses for being able to circumvent it more than as a gimmick to keep two guys in a blood feud from being able to do anything but confront one another. 

• Like 1

But you need a way to screw Bryan out of the victory somehow in order to keep the storyline going forward. So how do you do that without something going on with the EC? The gimmick is far from ruined.

The HITC is far from ruined, too. The very first HITC had outside interference from Kane.

And Orton should keep the title until the big loss. He's been a great cowardly heel and petulant brat who keeps sneaking out victories. I'm not a huge Orton fan by any means but he's done really good stuff since SummerSlam. He hasn't been perfect by any stretch but his stalling heel stuff and crowd taunting have been so great. We all could have lived without Cena and Orton for the umpteenth year in a row.

But mind you, no one was complaining when Cena was getting screwed out of the title. What's the difference between Cena and Bryan getting screwed? There weren't these vast complaints when Punk was holding onto the title via Shield run-ins and what have you. I can't even imagine what the IWC would have been like during the Horsemen's run when Tully/Arn/etc. constantly ran in to save Flair (the weakest heel of them all).

Heels should win via cheating and by being j-o's. Not all of the time, mind you. But Orton shouldn't (and hasn't) ever win cleanly against Daniel Bryan.

This.  I don't know why Vince felt compelled to kill the EC like he killed HIAC last year, but maybe it's time to retire the gimmick PPV's anyway.  I dunno.

That said....  No one complained when this happened:

Well, no. He should have won it months ago.

When, exactly? And then who chases Bryan after that? And where does that get you in terms of building to WrestleMania?

I think the way to go is to have him finally overcome the machine and win the title at Wrestlemania, with Orton eating the pin. Then Batista turns heel with the backing of the Authority at the next PPV, or even as soon the Raw after Wrestlemania, to take back the title, setting up a summer of HHH trying to screw Bryan and keep him away from the title.

If they don't insert him into the Wrestlemania match, I'd like to see Bryan/Cena vs NAO vs the Wyatts vs the Shield in an elimination tag match for the tag titles. The Total Diva Powers united for a tag title run, then explode to set up next year's Wrestlemania main event.

Finally watched osme of the sow.

Big E/Swagger was damn good. It makes me wish WWE would do more with Big E on tv because it really feels like he could and should be a bigger deal than he is.

Shield/Wyatts was amazing. It was easily the best Shield match since their TLC debut in 2012 against Hell No and Ryback. Its amazing to see how much each member has grown since then. I honestly don't want to see a rematch unless WWE its a street fight and WWE lets them bleed because it feels like its the only way they will be able to top this one.

The crowd kind of sucked during the Chamber match. Didn't think much of the match until Christian came in. From then on it was pretty good with some nice set ups. Orton was a fantastic bastard and might have been my favorite in the later stages of the match. I thought the stuff with Wyatts and Kane was decent and worked for the match.

What's the difference between Cena and Bryan getting screwed? 

May I suggest the crowd chanting 'Thank you Wyatts!'?

That was a pretty small fraction chanting.

I've noticed a couple people talking about the bad shoulder selling by Daniel Bryan in the match. Well before the match, during his backstage promo, when he did his "YES! YES! YES!" crap with both arms instead of one, I was already irked. I even voiced that opinion aloud to my friend whom agreed. It was just bad.

Still, I thought the Pay-Per-View was awesome. The Shield/Wyatt 6-man tag & the Elimination Chamber itself were both great matches. Along with the Cesaro/Cena match, I think those are the three front-runners for MOTY for WWE...and we're not even through February. Ring quality has certainly improved over the last couple of years, even if the writing, characters, angles, etc. isn't great.

I think the way to go is to have him finally overcome the machine and win the title at Wrestlemania, with Orton eating the pin. Then Batista turns heel with the backing of the Authority at the next PPV, or even as soon the Raw after Wrestlemania, to take back the title, setting up a summer of HHH trying to screw Bryan and keep him away from the title.

If they don't insert him into the Wrestlemania match, I'd like to see Bryan/Cena vs NAO vs the Wyatts vs the Shield in an elimination tag match for the tag titles. The Total Diva Powers united for a tag title run, then explode to set up next year's Wrestlemania main event.

So Bryan wins the title and then loses it a day later and we're basically back at square one? Even the most optimistic fan would call bullshit on that.

Does anybody think Daniel Bryan would be as over as he is right now had he kept the title after SummerSlam? And if he did keep the title after SummerSlam, then what? I'm sure he would've lost it by now and sent back down to the mid-card. But since they've been "holding him back" and he hasn't won the title, he's more over than he's ever been, and just keeps getting more and more over. No way there'd be a "Yes Movement" or 1 hour long stretches of RAW centered around DB had he just kept the title after SummerSlam.

• Like 1