DVDVR Message Board

NASCAR 2014 Season Omnibus

Rev Ray

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how many times I have the Chase format explained I can't shake the joke that it's basically "we're going to keep driving until the guy we want is in first".

The Chase format actually lessens the chance a big name/marquee driver will win it all. It works (and worked) against the name guys like Jimmie Johnson and Dale Jr. 

It did?  I'm pretty sure Jimmie Johnson would have won two cups under the old format instead of the million that he does have.

I think hes pointing to how Jr has missed a few chases and even the ones hes been in hes never been very high in them...has any one ever done the numbers to see who would have won under the old system vs the chase?

Honestly I still think the system needs some work. They knock all these drivers out of contention except they actually keep driving and you try and watch and you're all "why are they still here". It would be like Toronto and Cleveland playing a baseball game tonight against the world series. Why? Get them out of there so we can have an actual race with people that matter. Or just do the F-1 thing and have all the races and crown a winner.

This middle ground is really weird and doesn't make any sense to me.

It did?  I'm pretty sure Jimmie Johnson would have won two cups under the old format instead of the million that he does have.

I think hes pointing to how Jr has missed a few chases and even the ones hes been in hes never been very high in them...has any one ever done the numbers to see who would have won under the old system vs the chase?

They did here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1522176-nascar-if-the-chase-didnt-exsist-who-would-have-won-a-championship

• Like 1

Honestly I still think the system needs some work. They knock all these drivers out of contention except they actually keep driving and you try and watch and you're all "why are they still here". It would be like Toronto and Cleveland playing a baseball game tonight against the world series. Why? Get them out of there so we can have an actual race with people that matter. Or just do the F-1 thing and have all the races and crown a winner.

This middle ground is really weird and doesn't make any sense to me.

The way NASCAR works, this would never work. Well, it would possible, but you'd have massive losses in sponsorship dollars to the teams (more than half the teams would lose roughly a third of the money they get from sponsorships) and a host of all other problems. Every form of racing allows this no longer eligible for a championship/title/etc. to race, NASCAR is no different. I'm not sure why NASCAR would be singled out for allowing this. The non-Chase drivers still want to win, to earn a victory or run toward the front, but, more importantly, to earn a larger share of the purse and earn exposure for their sponsors (and, keep employees employed).  

Plus, just financially, a lot of the bottom-tier vehicles depend on being able to show up, make the field, and collect a small portion of the purse money to grow. Even if that money was shifted toward those still eligible and removing the bottom-tier vehicles from those races, you'd have the bigger teams getting even bigger and the smaller teams disappearing.  

Plus, there would be zero incentive for those drivers to do absolutely anything until the end of the race, and, I'm not sure anyone would have interest watching only a few cars on the track for the last ten races. 

So final 4 are Harvick, Logano, Hamlin and Newman.

I'm really big on the "One Race determines the championship" deal.  I kind of accepted the "We're doing a playoffs" deal with the chase, but I think it's is a bit wonky.  I still think they should have the owners championship be determined by the old rules of winner is the highest point total for the whole season ala pre-chase rules to make the drivers and owners points different.

• 2 months later...

YO.  Kurt Busch's ex is a trained assassin maybe?  I've never been so interested in a racing story before....

.http://hosted2.ap.org/OHPOM/6c7a07eb5e314546bfc286fa4d495637/Article_2015-01-14-US--Kurt%20Busch-Investigation/id-766fd8e41bfd43a6ac9c90c330dd7c2f

.http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/12161197/kurt-busch-says-ex-girlfriend-patricia-driscoll-was-trained-assassin

Ok.  So what are the options here?

1.  He is a fucking crazy person.

2.  She is a crazy person and he is just REALLY stupid.

3.  SHE REALLY IS A TRAINED ASSASSIN, but can't stop bragging about it.

4.  An incredible display of lying under oath (potential overlap with #1).

I can't even wrap my head around this, bros.  Leaving in camo and coming back in a nightgown covered in blood? Showing him pictures of dead bodies and gun shot wounds?  She disputed the claims to some reporter, but chose not to dispute the claims in court?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?