DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR SUMMER READING EXCHANGE 2013

jaedmc

Right, so I'm moving the due date to the 29th, so I can figure out who from the old board is back on the new board.

Also, I ended up picking up an extra book, and I need the extra week to get it and read it.

If you sent me a review, even if I published it on the old board, send it back to me AGAIN, because I don't have copies. Hedges, has sent me one on this board that I'll publish soonish. I'll probably re-edit this in the future to include all the book picks so people can pick another book.

How is everyone else doing with their book?

THE LIST

FICTION
All the Names by Jose Saramago
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Freeman by Leonard Pitts Jr.
The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway
High Rise by JG Ballard
Miracle Monday by Elliott S. Maggin
In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami
The Kryptonite Kid by Joseph Torchia
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty

NON-FICTION
Happy: A Memoir by Alex Lemon

Thank you very much for the extra week.  As ridiculous as it is that it's taken me seven weeks to get around to reading a hundred-page kids' book, I have been so swamped with bullshit RL that there was no way I could've read it and written about it in time.

Jae, can you post the list of questions you'd like us to address in our write up again? I never wrote them down as a reference or anything.

It was probably something like this:

Were you excited or disappointed when you got your book?

Was it good? did it Suck? Why? Was it the writing? The characters? The plot? What specifically was awesome/sucky about it?

Had you heard of the writer of the book or the book itself prior to this? If so, had you heard good things? Bad things?

How far outside of your reading box was the book you got?

Once you finally read it, was the book what you initially expected it to be?

Would you read more books by this author or more books like the book you read?

Was the book exchange a good experience?

Would you do it again?

Shit like that. You don't have to use this as a strict guideline, it's just some suggestions if you need inspiration. I'm not expecting a dissertation, you could probably answer all these questions in a couple of paragraphs if you wanted to. Just give enough to facilitate some sort of discussion. However many words you need to do that is however many words you need.

FICTION
All the Names by Jose Saramago
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Freeman by Leonard Pitts Jr.
The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway
High Rise by JG Ballard
Miracle Monday by Elliott S. Maggin
In the Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami
The Kryptonite Kid by Joseph Torchia
The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
The White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty

NON-FICTION
Happy: A Memoir by Alex Lemon

EDITED into the first post.

Jaedmc -- I'm finally back on the board but I don't have the write-up I penned for my book as I composed it in the old boards PM's. Are you sure you don't have a copy as I'd hate to have to re-write from memory (as I returned the book to the Library like three weeks ago so don't have it to refresh my memory).

Sadly, I do not. I didn't save anything on my harddrive, I was just saving the PMs via this board. This is the problem with THE CLOUD.

If you wrote a review that got killed by the Boardquake of 2013, I'm not going to ask anyone to rewrite it. That's way too much to ask for a fun project like this. I'll just reopen the threads and maybe conversation will cover the points lost in the fire.

Returned under a new name (rvdwannabe here).

I read Love is a Mixtape myself, after all of the glowing reviews on here. I enjoyed it, but perhaps not as much as others. It was legitimately upsetting, but even though I was a fan of music, I seemed to miss a lot of the jokes/references. Worth a read though.