DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Is your species choice basically a cosmetic choice, or does that effect your abilities.

There will definitely be some RPG elements and stat builds to consider, but from what I've heard from interviews, Bungie wants to keep far away from cookie cutter builds.  They don't want one set build to be the "right combination" even if some races seem tailor made for some classes (ex. Exo Titans or Awoken Warlocks).

Race and Class should compliment each other, but Bungie still loves the Halo mechanic of adventure builds (ie. reward through mission completion rather than random drops) so I imagine that getting a full set of rare armor will require grinding through a series of "dungeons" or in some cases, you will probably receive rewards in the form of rare skills or powers rather than loot.

Is your species choice basically a cosmetic choice, or does that effect your abilities.

There will definitely be some RPG elements and stat builds to consider, but from what I've heard from interviews, Bungie wants to keep far away from cookie cutter builds.  They don't want one set build to be the "right combination" even if some races seem tailor made for some classes (ex. Exo Titans or Awoken Warlocks).

Race and Class should compliment each other, but Bungie still loves the Halo mechanic of adventure builds (ie. reward through mission completion rather than random drops) so I imagine that getting a full set of rare armor will require grinding through a series of "dungeons" or in some cases, you will probably receive rewards in the form of rare skills or powers rather than loot.

This sounds like a game with this group where I wish I had gotten an Xbox One. I hope some of you decide saving $100 is the way to go and opt to buy Titanfall on PC instead.

</Maniacal Laugh>

Bungie has always been big about your equipment and weapons being a reflection of what you've done in the game, so the proposed loot scheme doesn't surprise me.

In the Halo games, people who explore maps, do not avoid encounters, specialize in certain weapons, and play on higher difficulties are rewarded far more than guys who just try to reach the end game as soon as possible without regard for kill counts or finding easter eggs like the skulls. 

Bungie says that they want Destiny to appeal to the casual gamer, but loot grinding doesn't sound like the model that will accomplish this.

The enemy species will consist of the Fallen, the Cabal, the Hive, and the Vex.  There will also be a constant presence in the skies known as the Onyx Pyramids who appear to be command ships capable of taking control of enemy races ala The Reapers / Collectors.

From what I've seen in the gameplay vids, either the Vex or the Fallen appear to be the first set of antagonists players will face.

One of the cool things I remember (and maybe I was misunderstanding this) is that you can only have one Ultra Rare weapon equipped at a time. So you can't have a superbadass assault rifle AND a superbadass melee weapon, you gotta choose one. I think that'll go a long way to accomplishing that whole "there is no RIGHT loadout" thing. I dig it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thoughts?

I am going to get in so much trouble this fall..

BABY, I CANNOT TALK ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW~!  WHY DO YOU ALWAYS CALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING RAID~???

• Like 1

Thoughts?

I am going to get in so much trouble this fall..

BABY, I CANNOT TALK ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW~!  WHY DO YOU ALWAYS CALL IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING RAID~???

My fiancee didn't react too kindly when I told some people that I might not have much of a social life once this game comes out for a few months.

• 3 weeks later...

In five hours I have to clean up my apartment in prep for the weekend.

I expect reports detailing as much about the gameplay the NDA will allow.

It'll be out to the public. No NDA needed. Actually, many details are already out there because everyone at E3 has been in already for a few days.

Yes, but the townhouse will have a loft which will be my primary base of operations.  My consoles, desktop, and Ubuntu box will be up there.  It will have a comfy couch so that if she gets pissed off at me, I will just sleep up there.

My Awoken Warlock (Void Walker) / Human Hunter (Gunslinger) awaits activation.  I assume that Fresh will be the Exo Titan given Rush In / Get Shot / Shoot Back tactics he usually employs.

You guys all realize that Priority One will be to get ourselves a starship or put ourselves in position to own as soon as the content hits if they are not available from release date.

I should be playing the Destiny Alpha in 5 hours. And so should you if you signed up.

I signed up for the beta months ago, but I have not received an email about it at all.

Can you explain?

Downloading now!!!

I got impatient for my e-mail to show up. Luckily, I snagged one off of Gamefaqs. Which means that when my does arrive, I'm gonna have an extra. Would any of you like it? PS4 only and must be a Playstation Plus member.