DVDVR Message Board

Destiny

Big Fresh

Got around to trying out some of the new update today.

The new Nexus Nightfall was a challenge to two man. You can no longer cheese it by sitting up at the top, one of the safe spots has been blocked and while you can still sort of sit on top of one of the pillars the splash damage still hits you and at some point you've gotta pick up the Aegis to drop the Nexus shield anyway.

The new points and bounties add another challenge to it as well. You can't just speed run it, skip everything, and melt the boss or you won't get enough points. Neither of us got the Icebreaker to drop but you're still guaranteed a legendary weapon for completing the bounty and a skeleton key so you're basically getting 3 rewards from the nightfall now.

There's a bunch of new armour to collect and still no vault space increase which may cause an issue. There are 4 new sets for each character so collectors will be suffering. Apparently Bungie are looking into making more kiosks for raid and event items so that should ease the pressure if it happens.

Not tried out Sparrrow racing yet, though the log book is free this year unlike last time and it looks pretty easy to complete.

Not as much new content as the free Spring update but there's some fun to be had.

• 2 months later...

Destiny 2: Here’s what will happen with your current characters

Destiny 2 is on the way, and for current players, the big question has been about what you’ll be able to port over from the original game. Today Bungie let us know exactly what will carry over. The company wants Destiny 2 to be a fresh start for players. To that end, we won’t be able to take power, possessions, and Eververse-related items and currency to the new game.

Bungie posted the info on their blog earlier today. “Sequels represent the start of a new adventure for every player, with new worlds to explore, new stories to tell, new powers to acquire, new loot to earn, and much more.“This led us to a decision that would enable us to serve both the game and the player’s best interests: Destiny 1 power, possessions, and Eververse-related items and currency will not carry forward. They will, however, remain accessible to you in Destiny 1.”

So, what will you be able to take to Destiny 2? Bungie wrote about that as well, saying that character personalization will be transportable, but you’ll have to have reached Level 20 and completed the Black Garden mission. Bungie said:

“We know that, just like us, you have grown fond of the Guardians you’ve created, so we do plan to preserve your character personalization. We are going to recognize the dedication and passion you’ve shown for this world. Specifically, the class, race, gender, face, hair, and marking selections for all characters that have achieved Level 20 and completed the Black Garden story mission will carry forward. We also plan to award those veteran accounts with honors that reflect your Destiny 1 accomplishments.”

Fans wanting more information should check out what Bungie is doing next Wednesday. “We’re planning to reveal the final live event for the Destiny 1 era next Wednesday,” the blog post said. “We’re calling it “Age of Triumph,” and we intend for it to be a fun and memorable celebration that will bring the first major chapter of our Destiny adventures to a fitting close. We’ll look back upon the three incredible years we’ve shared as a community, and look ahead to some final challenges and rewards that await you in the weeks ahead.”

So for all intents and purposes Destiny (1) is ending starting Wednesday

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So for all intents and purposes Destiny (1) is ending starting Wednesday

Destiny (1) ended for me a long time ago.

All players having to start from scratch actually encourages me to invest in Destiny 2 since I am so far behind in D1 that it is absurd and I also have no interest in grinding to catch up.

The ability to carry over my previous Guardian will only be important if they decide not to build a new character generator.  If they do, I will make a new Guardian.  If they keep the same old CG, why bother trashing the old character?

Despite the gnashing of teeth in some quarters, I think leaving gear behind and starting completely fresh is probably best for the game.  That'll make it a good jumping on point for newbies and returning players alike, which is good for the health and longevity of the franchise for people like...well, me, who can't stop playing.

And ultimately it's really no different than what happened with the initial release of TTK, and the world kept on spinning afterwards.

As excited as I am for the old raids to come back at the end of this month, I also feel like it's not going to be as smooth and super fun as I envisioned it because my old raid crew is almost completely gone.  I foresee many frustrating LFG runs with Y3 players who have no fucking clue how the Oracles work or even the correct path out of the Abyss.

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

I also feel like it's not going to be as smooth and super fun as I envisioned it because my old raid crew is almost completely gone.

Most of my enthusiasm evaporated because all of my regular raid bros wholesale quit playing.

Starting at the ground floor and the prospect of meeting new friends while re-establishing the DVDVR presence definitely makes Destiny 2 more attractive than it should be...

I completely had enough of Destiny the last year. I haven't played since last March and have had no desire to at all. I'm quite far behind others now so as they're pretty much starting over (apart from cosmetics) I'll be more than happy to jump into year two.

What is weird - is that I never once considered the idea that you would carry characters over into the sequel. I am not sure why I never considered that possibility.

I am hoping that sometime this summer the price of Rise of Iron will drop and I will grab it just to blow through the story missions so I know what the fuck happened

As a lapsed fan who hasn't played since the Dark Below (even though I paid for that fucking season pass), it makes me happy to see that there will be a reset of sorts. I couldn't give two shits about my player model carrying over, but I do see that being a bigger deal for people who played the game longer than me. More than that, I could also see the importance of carrying over stats like some sort of resume.

I'm going to be far more cautious about Destiny for the sequel though. I think everyone else will too. At the very least, the vast amount of Giant Bomb-ish Quick Looks of the game, where they judge it based on how similar or improved it is, will help me make a more informed decision the last time around. Last time, it was the day before release (maybe even a few hours before release) when I finally decided to pre-order just to get the extra stuff.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am hoping that sometime this summer the price of Rise of Iron will drop and I will grab it just to blow through the story missions so I know what the fuck happened

This is why God invented Wikipedia.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I couldn't give two shits about my player model carrying over, but I do see that being a bigger deal for people who played the game longer than me. More than that,

I could also see the importance of carrying over stats like some sort of resume.

The Character Designer wasn't nearly robust enough for me to really personalize my toon enough to give a shit about it.  I could recreate his look in my sleep.

If Bungie truly wants to start from scratch, then Zero Day starts with release day of a brand new game.  Fuck Veteran Benefits..

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What is weird - is that I never once considered the idea that you would carry characters over into the sequel. I am not sure why I never considered that possibility.

When this was in development, Bungie gave an initial promise (or talking point, anyway) that Destiny would be continuous 10-year journey with your characters and gear and shit, so a lot of the hardcore players feel like this is a betrayal of that.  And I don't think it's necessarily unfair, but at the same time...they already did something of a hard reset with The Taken King, so that's already not been true for a while now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EVA said:

When this was in development, Bungie gave an initial promise (or talking point, anyway) that Destiny would be continuous 10-year journey with your characters and gear and shit, so a lot of the hardcore players feel like this is a betrayal of that.

As you say, they just don't want to start over and don't seem to realize that they've practically started over after every DLC. 

Everytime you break a level cap in an MMO, it is basically a hard reset, whether you admit that your MMO is an MMO or not.

I suppose it's time to start thinking of what I'd want out of Destiny 2 to get me to come back. Aside from the larger improvements, like an actually well fleshed out story, a greater amount of solo content that evolves over time, in game LFG type matchmaking instead of what is actually there, and some other stuff, I'd really like to see better vehicles.

I don't think it really got a good deal of talk, but for a game that came from the house that built Halo, man, the vehicles kinda sucked and handled like shit. Everything handled with the sluggishness of the Banshee. This is a game studio that came up with what is in my opinion the best game vehicle ever in the Warthog and nothing in Destiny even comes close to the greatness of that vehicle. It was just odd to think of the Bungie made Halo games, how much fun I had with those, and how important vehicles were to multiplayer, and then go to Destiny where it felt like those elements were tacked on and didn't receive much thought. Hell, I'd even settle for complete ripoffs of the Warthog and Scorpion tank.

Another thing I'd like to see with multiplayer is something close to that quasi-persistent battle multiplayer mode in Halo 5, the one where you're playing with humans and the equivalent of AI creeps. I know Bungie didn't make that, but I'd still like to see something similar to it in Destiny 2. It would be an even better fit in the Destiny universe too.

To go along with those changes, they really need to come up with some better maps and environments where there's actual environmental effects to deal with. In fact, PVE mode needs those same environmental effects depending on the planet.

• Like 1

I guess I will jump back in with this next update solely because they're bringing back the VoG which was by far my favorite thing out of the franchise so far.  My first time playing that raid and playing blind with other players who were also playing it blind for the first time was one of my favorite gaming moments that I've experienced.  

I think they made a great game even if it is one that I moved on from twice:

Core game- Really good, held my interest through the first dlc.  As I mentioned earlier, it gave us the Vault of Glass which to me was the premier raid in the game and also had the best raid gear in the game.  There were plenty of cheeses in the raid at various times but it was still a lot of fun.  

The Dark Below- Decent enough.  Raid wasn't nearly as good as the vault and the missions were just meh but there was enough there to keep me interested.  The main downside was the Crota fight itself in the Crota's End raid.  There were just so many bugs involved in that final encounter.  But getting to the end and successfully running sword for your team was always a pretty great feeling.  

House of Wolves- Thought it sucked.  Was never a fan of the Prison of Elders and thought it was pretty terrible at least in terms of being end game content.  I played for a little while and decided I'd had enough and ended up deleting Destiny and moving on for a bit.

The Taken King- It was a nice comeback after TDB and HoW and enough to get me interested in the game again.  It provided enough content through the missions, bounties, and exotics to keep me grinding and interested for a while and had in my opinion the second best raid in the game which was only overshadowed by its design which allowed for either extremely smooth raid runs or extremely painful ones.  It was reliant on everyone holding up their end in the fight which was a real crapshoot when dealing with randoms.  I can't tell you how many times I got to the daughters section and ran through that motherfucker in about three to five minutes with no wipes and I also can't tell you how many times I got to that section only to wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe because one person or another would just fuck up something small.  It was a very easy raid for a team that knew what they were doing and an extremely punishing one for a team that had anyone on it that didn't know what they were doing.  Touch of Malice was one of the best exotic quests in the game and something that really felt rewarding once you finally completed it the first time.  

Rise of Iron- Probably the most robust dlc that Destiny delivered.  For me personally the only downside to it has been that after two and a half years of this game, there wasn't really much they could have done to keep me going.  Played all of the story missions and did the initial exotic quests that were available.  It did provide probably the best exotic quest in the game with  Outbreak Prime.  The raid itself was initially a lot of fun for me and after my first couple of play-throughs I  graded it as a solid second best raid in the game.  But after playing it a bit more, the boss fights just don't stack up to the ones in the King's Fall raid.  I did like how they went away from the formula of the King's Fall raid which was basically everyone gather up in one spot and just dps.  There were more vault like mechanics in this one which was cool but I still prefer Kings Fall as a whole over Wrath of the Machine after more play time in WotM.  But really after the hard mode version of the raid came out and I completed that a few times I just felt like what the fuck is left for me to do in this game? I didn't really feel like grinding over incremental gains or collecting every weapon in the game.  I'd done enough at that point to not be interested in topping out my light level.  

At this point Destiny has had well over two years and plenty of content so it was definitely worth the purchase for me.  The biggest plus that I can see is that there has been that much content and length of playing time with a large and vocal community for Bungie to really have seen what's worked and not worked to this point.  It makes me feel like Destiny 2 will be a really well made game.  Obviously there is going to be the cash grab design with the microtransactions and also how they release dlc but that's to be expected at this point with this type of game.  Really doesn't bother me.  I expect that I will jump back in with this next update and play for a couple more months before growing tired of it and move on until Destiny 2 releases.  

As expected, ALL raids will be brought up to Wrath of the Machine's light level in Age of Triumph.  The 2 oldest raids will have brand new challenge modes, and the other 2 will have revised challenge modes.

These will be released on a weekly basis as the "Weekly Raid Challenge" starting on the 28th, but each will be available full-time after release.  The first raid release will be Crota's End, and they were emphatic to point out that they had put a lot of work in to clean up the bugs that could make it such a frustrating experience back in the day.

I would bet anything that the Crota challenge is either each player can only wield the sword once (so no more one guy acts as swordbearer while everybody else just chills on the ledge and lobs Gjallerhorn shots at him) or you have to damage Crota at all of his positions (so no more retreating to the crystal room to chill until he moves back to center).

Vault challenges will probably be some combo of block all Templar teleports or destroy all the Gorgons and something with Atheon.  Can't think of what Atheon might be, but they claim it's the most difficult challenge they've ever come up with.

They also hinted that some Classic Cheeses have been programmed out, such as the ability in Vault to sit up top and snipe the Oracles.

CAN'T WAIT.

You couldn't pay me to do the Crota raid again. And what does that mean, that they put in work to clean up how buggy it was? You mean to say that for this entire time the Crota raid has still be a rats nest of a mess?

Well, Crota hasnt been relevant since the Taken King expansion made all Y1 gear irrelevant, so yeah, it's just been sitting there in its old form for over a year now.  The only people who play it anymore are, like, speed runners or people looking to exploit all the cheeses to get the Flawless Raider trophy/achievement.

For Destiny 2, I'd like an actual in-game story this time.  I also want answers to what the hell is going on instead of having to look at lore videos on YouTube.  

I think we need less randomness to the gear drops.  I also don't like the light level system that replaced what we had before.  

I would like the progression of my character to be less based on grinding.  Or at least to progress and level up, give me cool stuff to do instead of basically doing the same missions over and over again.  Like in The Witcher 3, I don't level up by grinding.  I can go on a monster hunt that's a higher level or do a side quest that's a higher level.  Stuff like that.  Just give me cool stuff to do that nets me cool gear.  Maybe stuff like the Gjallahorn mission in the last expansion.  

I want to be able to go to The City and see exactly what I'm fighting for.  What exactly is life like on the last city on Earth?  What do people think of the Guardians?  Do they respect us?  Also, maybe I want to get my own apartment or homestead like in The Elder Scrolls Online.  Give me my own place to crash when I'm away instead of the Tower.  Maybe I can display some cool weapons from my victories.  Maybe I can have mates come over.  Whatever.  

Basically, I want Destiny 2 to live up to all the promises Destiny didn't really accomplish.  I'm fine with paid DLC.  But if I can ask for two things, I want less grinding and less shitty random drops.

7 hours ago, EVA said:

The only people who play it anymore are, like, speed runners or people looking to exploit all the cheeses to get the Flawless Raider trophy/achievement.

That's how I got the flawless trophy. We two manned the raid with Hunters. Invisibility and tether for the abyss, Bones and sword swings for the bridge, then did the rest legit. It helps at this point that you can down Croat with 2 rockets and kill him with 7 hits. The whole thing took about 20 mins. It's faster than some strikes at this point.

I've not so much fallen behind with the game, just lost interest in it. I came back briefly when they introduced the new Nightfall format and the returning Icebreaker. Took about a month of Nightfalls for it to drop. I never finished Rise of Iron though. Still need 2 exotics and I only did the normal mode raid twice, not even attempted hard mode.

I'll be firing it back up for the Vault of Glass at least, my favourite raid and we used to love 3 manning that thing. It will be interesting to see how much harder it is with it being light level 390 and no Oracle cheese.

As for Destiny 2. I'm not sure what I expected. I'm not fussed about gear not carrying over. Just like TTK, it would all be obsolete 2 mins into the first mission. It's a shame shaders and emblems aren't being brought over with it though. They have no impact on the game and would give Year One players something special over new players I guess. But it's not a big deal. Kind of gutted consumables won't carry over. I've got so many motes of light, strange coins and glimmer consumables (about 300,000 glimmer worth) since I've never had anything to spend it on. But admittedly that would break the game. It kind of did with Rise of Iron. I basically brought my way to 390 with factions just using all the crap I'd accumulated over the first 2 years.

For what I want out of Destiny 2? Thy said they're making it more accessible to casual players which I like. They made some good progress towards that with Rise of Iron. The game needed more than just one way to hit max light. I don't want to have to organise a game with 5 other people and set aside several hours just to beat it.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

For Destiny 2, I'd like an actual in-game story this time.  I also want answers to what the hell is going on instead of having to look at lore videos on YouTube. 

There was an in-game story, but no one held your hand and guided you through it.  It also required too many stupid pet tricks to fill in the blanks.

I always made the effort to collect as many available Dead Ghosts as I could, but the Calcified Fragment bullshit was ridiculous.

I would also like to see a solid metaplot that unfolded as you completed story missions, but that would require Bungie to be a lot more creative in the way they

I think we need less randomness to the gear drops.  I also don't like the light level system that replaced what we had before. 

I don't think that should happen due to the nature of loot in MMOs and let's face it, this game is an MMO.

In order for what you want to happen to work, Bungie will have to do a much better job of weapon and class balancing.  Not likely.

Developers don't want too much weapon balancing because the surest way to get players to take part in repetitive gameplay is to offer a White Rabbit to chase.

Where would be the incentive for non story junkies to confront Crota on the raid if the raid items were not comparably better than the items you receive just doing the story missions?

More importantly, where would be the incentive to repeatedly engage in raiding if you get all of the good shit in one or two runs?

Where would be the incentive to participate in competitive multiplayer if the items you acquired through campaign play were omni-useful?

I want to be able to go to The City and see exactly what I'm fighting for.  What exactly is life like on the last city on Earth?  What do people think of the Guardians?  Do they respect us?

I'm a game immersion junkie so I support this wholeheartedly.

Also, maybe I want to get my own apartment or homestead like in The Elder Scrolls Online.  Give me my own place to crash when I'm away instead of the Tower.  Maybe I can display some cool weapons from my victories.  Maybe I can have mates come over.  Whatever. 

Okay, so why is important to you to know something about the "fake" population in the city, but you want someplace to hide from the real players piloting other Guardian toons? ;)

Habitats and Lodges have been wildly successful in other games (I loved my apartment when I played Final Fantasy XI), so I think they would work in Destiny but I don't think they are a necessity.

Personally, I like the aspect of the City's common area because it forces insular players to be sociable. You won't make new friends (or as I often do, new internet nephews and nieces) if you don't interact with other players.

The obvious problem with MMOs are the "mates" as you describe.  Once they lose interest and move on to the new shiny object, so will you.  It is in the best interest of Destiny 2 to easily allow and encourage players to make new acquaintances.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, kenyabaxterZXW said:

Literally just came here to post that! 

I figured it would have been the 12th or the 19th since every major expansion has dropped on a Tuesday in mid September but I'm happier with the 8th. I'll be able to play over the weekend without feeling like I've instantly fallen behind.

I'll stay cautiously optimistic until more details are out.